Tufts vs. Stony (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted904921

hi everyone! i was fortunate enough to get accepted into both schools. i'm very torn between the two so i would like as much advice as possible!

Tufts
pros:
  • larger class size - i'm a sociable person who likes to meet many, diverse groups of people so i feel like the class size of ~200 would be perfect for someone like me
  • loved the dean, faculty/staff, students - during the interview, i fell in love with everyone at the school. they all genuinely seem to care about students and our wellbeing a lot (even been getting emails of students and their fave/least fave thing about tufts)
  • boston - new location! i kinda do wanna be outside of NY bc i've been in NY my entire life so exploring a new place sounds so nice and boston is a great place to live in
cons:
  • expensive - i did get a scholarship but it's only for 1 year. however, if i perform well, then i can keep the scholarship. (around $15k .. .i think tuition is $100k tho)
  • cost of living in boston

Stony
pros
  • close to home
  • IS tuition
  • heard there's 100% residency match rate (can someone pls confirm this)
cons
  • small class size :\
  • in suburban part of NY
  • school is not very big - just 1 floor

i feel like overall, cost wise, stony makes most sense but in terms of happiness i feel like i will be happier at tufts cuz of the more active student life.
so i'm stuck between $ vs. happiness.

Members don't see this ad.

in the future, you owing less $$$ will lead to more happiness...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
You seem to be leaning towards Tufts but the difference in tuition is huge so it's something to consider

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony brook simply because it is going to be significantly cheaper. You can practice outside of new york if you are interested in a change of setting. Best regards to you on your decision!!

I'm surprised that this is even a discussion.

Stony. Do you know how lucky you are to be accepted to Stony?

Reactions: 1 users
I go to Stony, feel free to DM me and we can talk about it.

It's not always the right thing to "go where you'll be happiest". Money should play a role in your decision. I get the 'wanting to leave NY' thing, I was in the same boat. But you are lucky to get into an inexpensive school with a great reputation.

Not going to lie though the curriculum here is absolutely brutal, significantly more so than most other schools (I don't know much about Tufts TBH). However it prepares you extremely well for life after school whether it be general or a specialty. And yes the match rate is pretty much 100%.

Reactions: 2 users
I go to Stony, feel free to DM me and we can talk about it.

It's not always the right thing to "go where you'll be happiest". Money should play a role in your decision. I get the 'wanting to leave NY' thing, I was in the same boat. But you are lucky to get into an inexpensive school with a great reputation.

Not going to lie though the curriculum here is absolutely brutal, significantly more so than most other schools (I don't know much about Tufts TBH). However it prepares you extremely well for life after school whether it be general or a specialty. And yes the match rate is pretty much 100%.
messaged !