Tufts vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental2519

Reaction score
Tufts: (MA resident)

Pros:
- 100k cheaper because I will not have to pay for rent/transportation
- closer to family/friends/support system
- strong clinical curriculum
- Well known in MA (I want to practice here following graduation)
- I can work as a DA while in school (if I have time) at my current dental office

Cons:
- big class size
- less networking opportunities (?)

Penn:

Pros:
- smaller class size
- the "PENN" name
- great facilities
- no class ranking
- great networking opportunities

Cons:
- far from home and not the best city
- 100k more expensive

I am leaning more towards Tufts because of the money savings, but also because I will be more familiar with the area and will have my support system in close proximity to me. I can't seem to fathom spending an extra 100k just to go to Penn, but my family (who is not contributing to my dental school cost) can't understand how I could turn down Penn. My goal is to finish my DMD and be able to go straight into general practice, so the clinical curriculum is very important to me. I do not think that I want to specialize. Is there a vast difference between the clinical curriculum at Tufts vs. Penn? So basically I am asking, is Penn really that much better of a school, that I should pay the extra 100k for? Any comment/guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you didn’t receive any financial help from Penn and your parents aren’t helping then easily Tufts

Reactions: 1 users
“I didn’t know Penn State had a dental school” - every future patient. No one cares about the penn name. Consider the lifetime consequence this decision has on your bank account.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts: (MA resident)

Pros:
- 100k cheaper because I will not have to pay for rent/transportation
- closer to family/friends/support system
- strong clinical curriculum
- Well known in MA (I want to practice here following graduation)
- I can work as a DA while in school (if I have time) at my current dental office

Cons:
- big class size
- less networking opportunities (?)

Penn:

Pros:
- smaller class size
- the "PENN" name
- great facilities
- no class ranking
- great networking opportunities

Cons:
- far from home and not the best city
- 100k more expensive

I am leaning more towards Tufts because of the money savings, but also because I will be more familiar with the area and will have my support system in close proximity to me. I can't seem to fathom spending an extra 100k just to go to Penn, but my family (who is not contributing to my dental school cost) can't understand how I could turn down Penn. My goal is to finish my DMD and be able to go straight into general practice, so the clinical curriculum is very important to me. I do not think that I want to specialize. Is there a vast difference between the clinical curriculum at Tufts vs. Penn? So basically I am asking, is Penn really that much better of a school, that I should pay the extra 100k for? Any comment/guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!
think of the % difference rather than the 100k difference, and the gap gets even larger...

Reactions: 1 user
the "PENN" name
0B0DDF25-FE9D-4CB6-8DF7-D935432DC0C5.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
“I didn’t know Penn State had a dental school” - every future patient. No one cares about the penn name. Consider the lifetime consequence this decision has on your bank account.
Penn State is a superior institution so I would look at this as an advantage 😉

Reactions: 1 user
The Ivy Penn, not the Penn State...