Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Just wanted to start this thread so those waitlisted at Tufts can share when they interviewed and if/when they are accepted off of the waitlist. Good luck to everyone.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I have heard that there tend to be quite a bit of waitlist movement due to the fact that those who interview at Tufts tend to get into the Ivy League schools and other top 25 schools, so they choose those schools over Tufts. The biggest factor for a lot of waitlist movement, in my opinion, is due to the fact that Tufts is more expensive than any other school in the country. That factor is even more prevalent now due to the state of the economy. This is my #1 so I am excited for the opportunity to be accepted.

Feb 15, 2010
Status
still waiting for the notification that was supposed to come last week, but odds are I'll be waitlisted. Or rejected? who knows :/

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
In another thread, someone called admissions and was told all the acceptance calls went out already for interviews through late March. I hate to be the one to tell u that, but hopefully you will get waitlisted.

Feb 15, 2010
Status
just got w/l email. I guess that counts as good news?

I know there's no real point in speculating, but I'm wondering nonetheless. Tufts' waitlist information says that the most they've ever taken from the waitlist was 1/3 of the class; while the stats floating around SDN from 2008 show that they gave out about 553 acceptances out of something like 864 interviewees. Doesn't that imply a lot more than 1/3 of the class was accepted off the waitlist?

Also, does anyone know if Tufts tuition has increased over the past couple of years or remained steady?

Last edited:

Lady G

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
just got w/l email. I guess that counts as good news?

I know there's no real point in speculating, but I'm wondering nonetheless. Tufts' waitlist information says that the most they've ever taken from the waitlist was 1/3 of the class; while the stats floating around SDN from 2008 show that they gave out about 553 acceptances out of something like 864 interviewees. Doesn't that imply a lot more than 1/3 of the class was accepted off the waitlist?

Also, does anyone know if Tufts tuition has increased over the past couple of years or remained steady?
Let's wake this thread up. I am also waitlisted at Tufts, for the record.

comorant1, to lend some very belated insight to your question, there can be 553 acceptances out of some 864 interviees without moving through 1/3 of the waitlist. This is because more acceptances are given out than there are seats to fill from the get-go, well before the waitlist is ever even tapped into. The other missing piece of data that makes it hard to figure the odds out, is that we don't know the total size of the waitlist. In other words, it is almost impossible to say how much waitlist movement there can be in a given year, particularly given all the other admissions nuances that also factor in.

In any event, wait listers unite in our hope for some good news soon!

SilverNeedle

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also waitlisted. I'm hoping people would post when they get accepted from the waitlist so we can get a sense of when we might hear back. I know a couple people on the priority waitlist who will probably get in before the rest of us, so I'll let you know if they hear anything as well. Nothing as of today. Good luck to everyone.

Jun 23, 2009
Status
I'm also waitlisted. I'm hoping people would post when they get accepted from the waitlist so we can get a sense of when we might hear back. I know a couple people on the priority waitlist who will probably get in before the rest of us, so I'll let you know if they hear anything as well. Nothing as of today. Good luck to everyone.
didn't know there was a priority wait list. you have any more information on that?

meds8765

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Did everyone just get an e-mail asking if we wished to remain on the wait list? Hopefully this means there will be movement soon!

SilverNeedle

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
didn't know there was a priority wait list. you have any more information on that?

Some people apparently were told they have a "preferred spot" or "priority spot" on the waitlist (I forget what the exact wording was). I believe this means they are at the top of the waitlist. Further, if these people are not admitted off the waitlist by August, they have a guaranteed spot for next year's class. That's all anyone knows. In fact, many of the former adcom faculty didn't even know such a list existed. Must be either rare or new.

meds8765

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
That would be crazy if they waited a whole extra week to meet. On last year's thread people got in the 2nd week after the 15th (ie the equivalent of next week). I'm hoping that's the case for us too!

boon5

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm looking forward to seeing some movement. Good luck!

Lady G

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone heard anything in terms of wait list movement here? I haven't heard a peep. Do any of you have a handle as to when their next committee meeting will likely be?

anfielder

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2009
Status
I haven't heard anything, but here's what I'm thinking: waitlist movement could start Thursday. Throughout the cycle, it seems like the committee has met sometime during the last week of each month and then calls have been made over a couple days, sometimes starting on Thursday. I'm not sure this completely accurate or that really matters as they say there isn't a pattern to meetings for waitlisters, but it's the pattern that has stuck in my mind. More importantly, on last year's thread, the waitlist started moving on the last Thursday of May (the 28th if I'm remembering correctly). After getting the email on Friday asking people about their intentions, my guess is the committee will be meeting sometime this week, probably on the later side (maybe Wed or Thur) to give them some time to go through the email responses. I imagine they spent last week going through the withdrawals so they have time to deal with the waitlisters this week. That said, I really have no idea but if there's going to be movement, it really seems like it should start pretty soon. Good luck to everyone waiting.

SilverNeedle

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone heard anything in terms of wait list movement here? I haven't heard a peep. Do any of you have a handle as to when their next committee meeting will likely be?
I just called them this morning and asked when the admissions committee is next meeting. They said at the end of the month. I neglected to ask whether they had met last week or any time since the end of April. Oops. At least this way we can all relax and put our phones down until June, right guys? Go get some sun, everything will be fine.

combatwombat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
MA
Some people apparently were told they have a "preferred spot" or "priority spot" on the waitlist (I forget what the exact wording was).
Do you know how these people found out? (email, phone call, interview?)

If they do indeed have a preferred waitlist, I can't imagine us non-preferred waitlisters have much of a chance

Dude Man Bro Man

5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student

If they do indeed have a preferred waitlist, I can't imagine us non-preferred waitlisters have much of a chance
Ditto to this, I've never heard of a priority waitlist spot.

anfielder

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2009
Status
Ditto to this, I've never heard of a priority waitlist spot.
I agree, definitely not encouraging for the regular waitlisters. At the same time though, if they actually are guaranteed a spot in next year's class, it seems hard to believe there would be many people given priority status. Hopefully very few people were given that status and things are just moving a little slower because they have so many spots to fill.

SilverNeedle

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

They were notified via email, no phone call. The school won't give any info on how many people are on the preferred waitlist, either. As of this morning, they haven't heard anything. I imagine they'll hear back Thursday or Friday at the earliest.

As for your chances, Tufts, like most other med schools admit waitlisters based on demographics (it says this on their website), so I imagine if you fit some specific criteria you might get in before the priority people. I wouldn't give up quite yet.

meds8765

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted by phone this afternoon!! I am so excited! :D Good luck everyone.

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yep...super quiet after a long weekend is a bad sign. It means they met, but didn't do much (and even more so because this is the first meeting after May 15th, and thus the largest group of available spots would theoretically be available). So if you have another school available, I'd go ahead and rent an apartments there!

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yep...super quiet after a long weekend is a bad sign. It means they met, but didn't do much (and even more so because this is the first meeting after May 15th, and thus the largest group of available spots would theoretically be available). So if you have another school available, I'd go ahead and rent an apartments there!
That's what I was thinking at first, but then I realized that there are probably many more people on the waitlist at Tufts who don't use SDN then those who do, so there is probably much more movement than we think. There just hasn't been much movement with SDN people.

Alhambra

Fresh off the boat
Dec 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! I interviewed in early January and I've been wait-listed since February. I didn't hear anything about a priority wait-list either.

I did e-mail Dean Slavin about students wait-listed for dual-degree programs (this was in regards to my waitlist for the MD/MBA program, which starts on the 21st of June). He said that if you're wait-listed past the start date for a dual-degree program this summer, your application to that particular program is no longer considered and you're eligible for the regular MD program.

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Its generally poor form to put someone on a wait-list, tell them its not-ranked, and then rank priority of wait-listed people.

Honesty = Important (for any medical school I want to go to)

I withdrew today

Jun 23, 2009
Status
Its generally poor form to put someone on a wait-list, tell them its not-ranked, and then rank priority of wait-listed people.

Honesty = Important (for any medical school I want to go to)

I withdrew today

Completely agree. If the wait list is not ranked and they select people who fit demographic needs to fill spots as they state on their website, then I don't understand how they would go ahead and rank people on a priority wait list. I mean, to be honest, it makes more sense to give the more deserving students the spots, but why post that on your website then?

oze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I'm withdrawing from Tufts tomorrow morning so I hope one of you gets the spot. It is a great school and it was a tough decision to let it go.

COdoubleMO2theN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I'm withdrawing from Tufts tomorrow morning so I hope one of you gets the spot. It is a great school and it was a tough decision to let it go.

Congrats oze! Sounds like a Cali school came through for you.

anfielder

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2009
Status
Anyone know of any movement recently? Last year's thread had a wave of movement around now but there doesn't seem to have been much wait list movement yet this cycle. Maybe things are just going slower this year and it's about to pick up?

Jun 23, 2009
Status
Anyone know of any movement recently? Last year's thread had a wave of movement around now but there doesn't seem to have been much wait list movement yet this cycle. Maybe things are just going slower this year and it's about to pick up?
I heard a rumor that they're still waiting till the end of each month to discuss acceptances, so maybe a batch of acceptances will come out in the next week or so...hopefully before july 4.

anfielder

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2009
Status
I heard a rumor that they're still waiting till the end of each month to discuss acceptances, so maybe a batch of acceptances will come out in the next week or so...hopefully before july 4.
Cool, thanks HateTheMCAT. That definitely sounds possible. Seems a little strange they would wait a few extra weeks to fill their spots since some people might turn them down who would've accepted the spot earlier on, but I guess that isn't much of a concern for them.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
There is no way to know how much movement there has been. The vast majority of people on the Tufts waitlist surely are not on SDN. For all we know, there could be quite a bit of movement.

anfielder

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2009
Status
There is no way to know how much movement there has been. The vast majority of people on the Tufts waitlist surely are not on SDN. For all we know, there could be quite a bit of movement.
Very true, but it's possible someone on here found out some information and they might be willing to share. In any case, hopefully they do start taking some people and maybe someone on here will have some good news to post in the near future.

Dude Man Bro Man

5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Very true, but it's possible someone on here found out some information and they might be willing to share. In any case, hopefully they do start taking some people and maybe someone on here will have some good news to post in the near future.
I agree, I would expect to hear about more people being accepted, even if we heard second-hand.

Alhambra

Fresh off the boat
Dec 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
When I called and asked about the admission committee meetings last week, the lady on the line said that the committee just meets randomly- they don't really follow any sort of schedule, but they sometimes do convene when a significant number of seats open up.

She didn't specify what "significant" means, but I guess it's gotta be maybe a handful of seats or so for the committee to consider it urgent enough to meet for? Perhaps last year students were withdrawing in large numbers, so the committee had to meet more often to fill the seats again.

LittleRichard

7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey Y'all. I was accepted late last week, so the list is moving. Won't be going here though---good luck.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't mean to steal HateTheMCAT's thunder, but I wanted to share this info with everyone just in case he/she doesn't post it here. I just saw in another thread that he/she was accepted today. Also, a good indication if you will be accepted is if you receive the criminal background check email according to him/her. He/she received it this morning and got the call from Dean Neumeyer a little later in the day.

Last edited:

anfielder

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2009
Status
Congrats HateTheMCAT! Good to see a regular waitlister get a spot. Do you think you're going to attend?

Jun 25, 2010
Status
Re: the preferred waitlist vs regular waitlist, I heard the other day that the "preferred" waitlisters were people who had initially been accepted, but then had to have their acceptances revoked due to Tufts accepting too many people earlier on in the cycle.

However I guess they've started to have more movement, because I just got the call. I'm expecting to wake up any minute now...

Jun 23, 2009
Status
I don't mean to steal HateTheMCAT's thunder, but I wanted to share this info with everyone just in case he/she doesn't post it here. I just saw in another thread that he/she was accepted today. Also, a good indication if you will be accepted is if you receive the criminal background check email according to him/her. He/she received it this morning and got the call from Dean Neumeyer a little later in the day.
Hey guys. Sorry i didn't post sooner but i got the acceptance call from Dean Neumeyer yesterday. I also had a background check email from amcas yesterday morning so i thought it was related to that, but it's possible that the email was from another school i'm on the wait list at or something. good luck to everyone and i hope to see you up in boston soon.

Sep 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
To people who've been accepted off the waitlist, can you please tell us your demographic info? Because one of the biggest factors that all schools consider in their decision is making sure that their class is diverse. So please tell us your demographic info so that we can get an idea of whether or not we're in the demographic group that they're calling people in for now. I realize that this is somewhat private info, so I would understand if you didn't want to share this info, but it would really really help those of us still on the waitlist to get a sense of if we should keep hoping, or if we should move on emotionally.

Please tell us your:

- "race" (i.e. African American, hispanic, etc)

- approximate age

- current state of residence

- approximate familial income class (low, low-middle, middle, or upper)

- disabled / special needs / etc.

- college prestige (i.e. if you went to a state college, an ivy league, a prestigious specialized topic college, etc.)

- any other demographic info you think might've gone into consideration

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats everyone! I'm on the waitlist for the Tufts Maine Track and that forum has been very quiet. I'm wondering if any of you were accepted off of that waitlist or if you were all accepted for the regular Tufts MD program?

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I heard from a few students/faculty that they SUPER over accepted (and are still over filled) ... so if you were waiting on a waitlist spot then you can go ahead and stop paying attention. Sign those leases and plan accordingly!

Status
Not open for further replies.