tufts- where to live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darius99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to start looking for a condo for next year, so i was wondering what areas were good in boston if i'm going to tufts. i want to be able to commute fairly easily, so T access is important. any suggestions from current students?? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts is extraordinarily convenient because it's right on the T stop. You have too many choices to list.

backbay, south end, and brighton/allston all come to mind.....great neighborhoods with lots of students.....very convenient to the T. search craigslist or boston.com for prices.

jb!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
what about south boston or west roxbury/ roslindale

The dental school is right on the orange line. This line is not the nicest in terms of places you would want to live.

The dental school is only 2 blocks off the green line. This line goes right through TONS of areas that are desirable to live in. Back bay, brookline, brighton, fenway/kenmore, symphony, loongwood etc...

Orange line avoid roxbury. Red line avoid savin hill, fields corner, shawmut, ashmont. Most drug busts and serial rapists and homicides happened last year (and this year) near one of these areas on a weekly basis. For lack of a better term, I'd called these areas "ghettos". I lived among these neighborhoods for years so I like it and is used to it but it scares a lot of people when hear about these areas.

South Boston is fine. Lots of Polish and Irish.

thanks guys. someone mentioned jamaica plain, any comments on this area?

thanks guys. someone mentioned jamaica plain, any comments on this area?

JP used to be extremely dangerous place but I'm noticing that there more students moving in there. It has gotten a lot better over the last few years. It is very convenient due to the orange line(subway) running through there.

I have searched the place to live for August, this is what I came up with.
Can you suggest more good place or place to avoid around T stop?

Orange Line
Green Street(Jamaica Plain) Good
Stony Brooks Good
Malden Good
Oak Grove Good
Jackson Sq Avoid
Stony Brook Avoid
Roxbury Crossing Avoid
Ruggles Avoid

Red Line
Wollaston Cheap, Good, Far
Quincy Cheap, Good, Far
Central Sq Good
Savin Hill Avoid
Fields Corner Avoid
Shawmut Avoid
Ashmont Avoid

Green Line
Back bay Good
brookline Good
brighton Good
Fenway Good
Kenmore Good
Symphony Good
Longwood Good

Red line Andrew-Good

Red line JFK/Umass-good and bad. Harbor Point is intermixed between student/professional condos and government-subsidized housings. Quite a few people, including my roommates, have been beaten up badly by Irish gangs just walking home from the subway.

Silver line Washington Street from Mass.Ave to Tufts Dental used to be very bad (lots of muggings) and scary at night(completely deserted). There are now a lot of expensive condos and overpriced restaurants for wealthy gays along this street and has become very safe.

so boston is basically like the departed?

southie kinda is (was?)

I have searched the place to live for August, this is what I came up with.
Can you suggest more good place or place to avoid around T stop?

Orange Line
Green Street(Jamaica Plain) Good
Stony Brooks Good
Malden Good
Oak Grove Good
Jackson Sq Avoid
Stony Brook Avoid
Roxbury Crossing Avoid
Ruggles Avoid

Red Line
Wollaston Cheap, Good, Far
Quincy Cheap, Good, Far
Central Sq Good
Savin Hill Avoid
Fields Corner Avoid
Shawmut Avoid
Ashmont Avoid

Green Line
Back bay Good
brookline Good
brighton Good
Fenway Good
Kenmore Good
Symphony Good
Longwood Good

where did you get this info?

Got all the information from Student Doctor Network

Backbay is nice...Also check out Jamaica Plain... It is one of the best kept secrets of the Boston area. It is away from the craziness of the main city. Lots of great places to eat on Center Street--some of the BEST restaurants! Also, it is locate on the Orange line of the T, so very convenient to Tufts.

JP is far, I wouldn't live more than a 15 minute T ride from Tufts. People on the north side of the orange line have had tons of problems this semester (a bunch missed an exam thanks to the aqua teen nonsense). And the green line is AWFUL. Super slow, and lots of bug infestation problems have been in the news lately. Hello bed bugs. Seriously, stay away from Allston, Brighton, anyplace that a BU or NE student has to live. It's super inconvinient and filled with rowdy students. If it were me I'd stay on red, orange (but not as far as malden or JP), or maybe silver. In defense of the ghettos, they aren't all that bad as long as you're smart and check it out before you move. Just stay away from Dudley and Savin Hill (stabnkill).

I just wonder how first year students from out of state deal with the leasing contract. Do they rent for 9 months and return home during the summer? If that is the case then they will have to look for a different place when coming back for the second year, isn't it?

You can go month my month or you can sign yearly lease. You come come early and settle your housing situation because there are also another 300,000+ students moving around in August and September.