TUFTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tufts is my last hope for matriculation in Fall, 2002. That said, I am very curious about my application. I interviewed 10/30, recieved a disconcerting letter saying "they don't know what to do" in January, and nothing since.

Anyone know anything? Someone must.

Members don't see this ad.

This might not be too helpful, but it's better than nothing, so here goes:

Apparently they send out an early round of acceptances in mid-December. I'm pretty sure these acceptances make up only a small percantage of the class. Anyway, at this point they send out letters to everyone else, like the one you got, saying that they haven't made a decision yet on your application.

I'm not sure when their next mailing is though, or if they do everything else on a more rolling basis as more students interview. But if you're relying heavily on Tufts, you should definitely call them and find out what's going on. Mail has a habit of getting lost, especially when it's important! And if you find out that you're still being considered, then you should send them a letter reiterating your commitment to the school. When deciding between two equally qualified students, a school will almost invariably choose someone who they're sure WANTS to be there. Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck!

I like that Tommy. A letter. That's JUST what I'll do! Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviews will run up to April 30th. If you haven't heard by now, you most likely will not hear until after May 7th.
Hang in there. =)

I don't understand... there are committee meetings before May 7, so why couldn't they decide before then?

Willjmark, I did interview at that same day! But with 30 or more people, I don't know if we met. I was with the loudest group (we talked about certain interview experiences and it just so happens that ours, including mine subjected everyone to laughter). Anyway, don't give up hope, people can get acceptances right off the no-decision letter. Tufts accepts about 50% from the people they interview and that's a good statistic compared to other schools. Aside from the letter, it might be good to call Tom Slavin, after all he made it clear that he's available for questions. And if you remembered the orientation before interview sessions, one of the directors of certain dual degree programs (whose name escapes me at the moment) did say something about people who might get interested in such later on so maybe you can "inquire" about these programs and get noticed. Also, have you received their financial packet (given to all interviewees)? If you haven't, you can ask about that also and get it done. It might have influence on your application. I did mine the moment I got it and I also wrote letters of inquiry.

I agree that showing interest is important, since my feeling is that interviews don't matter much (at least, most of us attested to the relatively quick interviews Tufts conducts).

Thanks, Darkmatter! I don't know if I was at your table. Mine had like 7 Harvard students at it, and some Brown kids. It was daunting. Either way, I'll do my best to write a letter, although I don't know how much all this letter writing means at all. I had a bad experience with that after my interview at Georgetown. As I said from the get-go, I've been rejected from everywhere so far, so Tufts is my last hope. A glimmering hope. I'll do whatever I can, even if it helps the smallest bit.

Thanks again.

1 more question, is it SLAY-vin or SLAH-vin, I can't remember. SLAY-vin, I recall. (?)

•••quote:••• Apparently they send out an early round of acceptances in mid-December. I'm pretty sure these acceptances make up only a small percantage of the class. Anyway, at this point they send out letters to everyone else, like the one you got, saying that they haven't made a decision yet on your application. ••••Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop a line to say that Tufts IS sending out acceptances. I got one last week (interviewed in Jan.). I am withdrawing my app. though, so my earnest wish is that one of you gets my spot. Don't give up. Take care.

Jonny

Oh, and my table had Cornell, Boston College, and some from Brandeis. I came from an "average" state collegeso I also felt a little insecurity.

Darkmatter,

I like the quote.

Peace

Atlas

I know just how you feel; I interviewed with ppl from Cornell, UCLA, BC, and Northwestern while I went to the good ol' U of Maryland. But I am a Tufts student now so it all worked out. As a first year, I can tell you that just about everyone who ends up here who isn't in the MD/MBA program or in one of the early acceptance programs via Tufts undergrad and Brandeis was taken off the waitlist. I interviewed in January, was placed on hold (the same decision Will seems to have received)in early March, waitlisted in May, and accepted in mid-July. So there is definitely hope; just be sure to show your interest in attending, especially once the official waitlist begins in May. good luck!

Kate
Tufts M'05
•••quote:•••Originally posted by darkmatter:
•Oh, and my table had Cornell, Boston College, and some from Brandeis. I came from an "average" state collegeso I also felt a little insecurity.•••••