Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viraj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview in Tufts on this Thursday, I was wondering if anybody could give me insights on the interview. I want to know, what kind of questions do they ask if they don't have your stats and don't know anything about you.I was also interested in knowing about what time the interview ends as i have the flight to catch at 4pm from Logan airport. I would really appreciate the input regarding this matter
Viraj

Members don't see this ad.

hi viraj,

i'd interviewed with tufts back in october, and really liked the school. first of all, from what i remember, the interview day ended around 2:30 PM. i would suggest that you speak with mark gonthier as soon as you arrive and let him know of your flight schedule. i'm sure he will arrange for the interview to be scheduled earlier. as for questions, i must say that i had the most absurd questions asked during my tufts interview than any other school combined. for one, i was asked if you were to be an animal or a piece of furniture, what would it be and how it relates to dentistry? i think as long as you are able to hold your own, you will be fine. i can't remember the name of the person i interviewed with (oh, two other students were present... and firing questions as well), but he was a pharmacology prof. mark warned me that he was tough. in any case, i'm sure you'll enjoy your visit. tufts is a great school. good luck!

reena

Hey Reena
Thanx for ur response. I was wondering what was ur answer to that question, i mean really wanna hear it as, it would be pretty interesting. I did hear some people telling me that Tufts do ask a lot of weird questions, but they also said that as long as u have some answere to it, or the way u approach it, is what they r looking for.
I would keep u updated on all the latest
Thanx again
Viraj
p.s. Are u gonna attend Tufts this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
viraj,

initially, when i was asked the question... i probably made an odd expression, and even said out loud, 'why in the world would i want to be a piece of furniture?' so he then rephrased the question for an animal. immediately, i said 'a sea otter'. that was the first thing that came to mind. then, i started rambling how they creatively use rocks with their paws to break open shells--i.e, manual dexterity. who knows! somehow it didn't count against me. :p
unfortunately, i will not be attending tufts. with much thought, i had left a deposit at upenn. but i will be attending my final interview mid-february at ucsf. if i get in, i will most definitely attend sf. i love california!
do keep me posted and good luck again this thursday!

reena

any more inpputs for Tufts, would love to get some more info about the school, as goin for an interview on Thursday
thanx

Viraj,

I'll be more than happy to share my Tufts experience with you. I interviewed there in early jan. I was very very impressed with the school, their curriculum, faculty and basically everything. If you can put up with the freezing weather and high tuition, you're gonna get an awsome education there. They ranked 5th on the boards last year, and they are also a very good clinical school. I suggest you check out their web site to get some info from their school.

As far as your interview day, the interview itself is gonna be around 12:30ish after lunch with a faculty (mine was just one on one, no student interview). I was not asked any weird questions at all, very straight forward, she just wanted to get to know me alittle and it was just like a half hour conversation than an interview. Just let mark know that you have a flight to catch and he will give you an early tour of the school and you should be out of there in time. There was one interviewer who I heard was tough but as long as you can talk about yourself and your goals and put on your "dog and pony show", you would be fine. Let me know if you have any question.

To people who interviewed at Tufts already, I don't know, Is it me or is Helen (one of the admission coordinators) just F@#%ing HOT!!!

i just got back from an interview there just now, nothing to worry bout, really easy... no hard questions at all...no science questions, people are very nice, everythings in walking distance sorry gotta go to sleep hope this helps i didn't read any of the above post...(will do that after i sleep) nite

it's 85 now maamasan

I just came Back after the interview at Tufts. I should say that the faculty, admininstrative staff as well as students know each other very well. This really created a very freindly environment for me and the others. The interview was very different than any other University. I had an interview with Dr. Miller, he teaches basic sciences in the dental school. He was very nice, although he asked some tough questions, but he was very kind to lead me to the answers too. Some of the questions that he asked were:
1. Why I opt for dentistry as a career choice?
2. What r some negative aspects of dentistry that I don't like?
3. Suppose a patient comes to your office with a decayed tooth to the roots, and as a dentist you have 2 options either to extract it or do a root canal. What would yoy do, and what will you tell the patient?
4. He also asked me a question about my living experience in India
5. He asked why Tufts University?
6. He also asked me something about Periodonatal disease, that I can't exactly remember.
7. We also talked about dentures, and Medicaid patients.
I think he asked me few more questions that I can't remember...
I know the interview was long, I was surprised too, as I didn't feel that it was long but when I came out and saw my watch, I almost spent about 35-40 minutes with him. Tell you what though, it was not at all bad, he was joking in between so he didn't made me feel as like chicken who is gonna get killed.
Well I hope this helps whoever who is going to or applying to Tufts University.
Good luck to you guys..
Oh! I forgot to update their stats..
Applicants--- 1900
Interviews--- 500
Acceptance--- 80%
Waitlist-- 10%
Rejection-- 10%
Interviewed till yesterday-- 340
Accepted --- 286
Confirmed students--- 86
Total class size--- 145

I am a dental hygienist and I am almost ready to apply to dental schools. I went to the dental conference in Boston last weekend. I talked to two young dentists that graduated from Tufts about 10 years ago. Before talking to them I was leaning towards Tufts or BU especially since I live in Massachusetts. They both felt that they weren't prepared when they graduated and had to go back to school to take some additional classes. They thought it was not worth the money. They strongly urged me to find a less expensive school. They are still paying lots of debt. Does anyone know where the schools are the cheapest but you can still get a good education?

I am a dental hygienist and I am almost ready to apply to dental schools. I went to the dental conference in Boston last weekend. I talked to two young dentists that graduated from Tufts about 10 years ago. Before talking to them I was leaning towards Tufts or BU especially since I live in Massachusetts. They both felt that they weren't prepared when they graduated and had to go back to school to take some additional classes. They thought it was not worth the money. They strongly urged me to find a less expensive school. They are still paying lots of debt. Does anyone know where the schools are the cheapest but you can still get a good education?