Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Tufts

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tufts02, Nov 14, 2002.

1. tufts02

tufts02 Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone have an interview on Dec. 3rd?

Those of you who already had interviews there any tips? I heard the dean says something like "i make my decision within the first 15 seconds" anyone have this experience? How did you deal w/ it?

Thanks

2. I was the nicest guy for 15 seconds then the biggest dingus for the remaining 34 minutes and 11 seconds. I even snuck in a few mom jokes.

3. nkow

nkow bouncin' here and there
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey tufts02...i pmed you... thanks!

4. pickles

pickles Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,
    I guess i'll be seeing you Dec. 3rd!! They said that there is a whole bunch of people (40) interviewing that day because of the few times they interview. It seems like we have a pretty packed day ahead of us. Did you end up getting a hotel for the night before??

5. lmao sham...

anyway, I am a current M'05 who interviewed with Dean Sarno, and he did say something to that effect before faculty members started pulling files for interview. I was the first person whose name he called, and nearly peed myself from nerves, but regained my composure. I heard that Sarno was a hard interview and tough to read his body language, but he started off by asking me if the application process was going OK for me and was not unfriendly or a jerk at all. He does tend to ask a lot of questions for such a short interview (he almost never interviews anyone longer than 15 minutes), but he just wants to get to know you by finding out more about what your undergrad experience is like, your family background (non-prying in my experience), what makes you different from other applicants, what outside interests you have, etc. He and I are both only children and ended up talking about whether or not that factor contributed to us being conflict-avoiding to a flaw, which was interesting. I felt that my interview with him was fine (but was still a little nervous since I couldn't read his mind), and my student interview went very well, but was not surprised to receive a "no decision yet" letter in March and a waitlist notice in May before getting in in July 2001 b/c my stats were not anything great and I didn't have any extra factors that might help like MA residency or being an alum of Tufts undergrad. A LOT of people come off the waitlist, so don't worry if you get waitlisted. I also have a friend who felt she had a very short, curt interview with Sarno and an interview with a student who kept asking her if she'd considered alternate careers since she was a reapplicant. She left immediately after her interviews and expected an outright post-interview rejection but was waitlisted then accepted like me.
    so you just can't judge by 1 interview if you get Dr. Sarno as an interviewer (I actually like the guy a lot, he's cool). Since MCAT, GPA, and each interview each count for 25%, I think you would have to REALLY tick Sarno off to get an outright rejection. any more questions about Tufts, please ask, I am very happy to be here at TUSM and Boston! good luck to you.

6. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

Hey
    So what do you mean mcat,gpa, and each interview count for 25%??? I hope they take into account extras like research, etc....
    My interview is this tues. and as of now Tufts is my top choice!
    Do you know about what gpa, mcat would result in a hold or waitlist? I mean, is there some sort of cutoff?

7. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

bumpidy bump bump

8. well, I would guess that your GPA and MCAT are evaluated in part by what undergrad school you went to and what your major was and how many times you took the MCAT (and if more than once did you improve). in other worlds, they don't see a 3.4 from Cornell as equivalent to a 3.4 from Maryland (where I went), and the GPA score given to the Cornell candidate will likely be higher. I think that upward/downward trends in GPA would also be considered. Your research and extracurriculars are taken into account in the decision to offer you an interview, and will likely again be evaluated to some degree by your interviewers (particularly those extracurriculars you talk about at the interview). If you end up on the waitlist, you can communicate with Tufts about your strong interest in the school and any new EC's or volunteer work or publications you may have in order to improve your chances (and from my experience and talking to classmates, it really works!)

I hope that answers your questions.. I don't think there is a GPA/MCAT cutoff for an outright acceptance. The average GPA and MCAT for entering students in the class of 2005 were 3.52, 30.5, and for the class of 2006, 3.48 and 30. I had a 3.62/29 from U of Maryland and as you know, came off the waitlist, as did a large number of my classmates (I would guess over 1/3 of them)One female I know (1/2 Mexican-American) was accepted 2 weeks post-interview with a 3.4, 29 from U of Arizona. So there really is no sure-fire way to predict what numbers will or will not get you in. good luck and enjoy Boston!!:cool:

9. pAkhtmAn

pAkhtmAn pAkht mEmbEr
    7+ Year Member

For those who got interviews this year, how long after you completed your apps did you get an interview offer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

i think about 10 weeks after i sent my secondary in.

i interviewed at tufts awhile back and one applicant told us that the dean asked had asked her directly if she thought interview feedback's comments that he was difficult to read was true or not. so, the dean does read SDN....beware. i also heard the students say that the doctor who asks the were definition questions "what is x, y z", ends up being the interviewer whose interviewees get admiitted very often.

i didn't end up interviewing w/ those two people but in generally, my feeling was that everyone was pretty satisfied w/ their interviewers. i was pretty satisified w/ my tufts experience.

11. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

Hey all
    Is anyone staying in the chandler hotel the night before this week's interview? I wonder how far it really is from the school

12. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Kate -

I'm an August MCATer and haven't heard anything yet, tho my secondary was complete in September. I realized they were waiting until Oct. scores, but now I'm starting to get a little anxious! Anyhoo, couple of questions:

Do you know how late Tufts interviews (thru Feb? March?)?
    Any older (30ish) students in your class?

I've got similar stats (3.5 GPA, 30S MCAT) and some really distinct ECs, and would love it if TUSM gave me an interview...

BTW, your posts are EXTREMELY insightful and by no means too long! Thanks for helping out!

13. Hi Pinki,

thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it. Anyway, to answer your questions, Tufts does not usually begin to invite August MCATers (with a few exceptions) until around December or January for interviews in March, April and early May (a few in February as well). However, many "late" interviewees get outright acceptances in April and around May 15, and once the waitlist is compiled, your interview date is of absolutely NO importance in determining if you will be admitted or not. One of my classmates interviewed on May 1, was waitlisted about 2.5 weeks later, and offered admission less than 2 weeks after that. According to what I've read, there are 10 30+ students in my class of 168, which is not a lot but there are a few and they are all great people. Most of the 30+'s are married, 2 have children (1 guy and his wife have 3 kids), and the ones that aren't married are in long-term relationships. there are also a decent number who were 25-30 at the time of matriculation, and the average age of my class at matriculation was 24. Only 1/3 of the class came straight out of undergrad! I think that you have a really good shot at getting an interview since Tufts tends to look a lot at life experiences and is not a school that makes a big deal about stats. good luck!

BTW, Tufts has a "semi-open" file interview where the interviewers have everything in front of them EXCEPT your GPA and MCAT. this is so they can evaluate your interviews fairly and focus the discussion on topics other than that C you got in O Chem 4 years ago.

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

oh..i forgot to mention how tufts admissions process goes.

the dean said that they about 70% of interviewees DON'T get a decision 6 weeks after their interviews. these people will get a decision mostly likely via a waitlist. on the other hand, about 30% will either be accepted or rejected 6 weeks after interview.

15. OK, let me clarify what I meant on another thread.. I meant that most people will receive either an acceptance, a "we have reviewed your application but no decision at this time", or a rejection. I always thought of the no-decision/hold letter as a decision (i.e. by choosing not to decide on your application yet, they still have made a choice, as the old saying goes) since you aren't sitting there waiting at the mailbox beyond 6 weeks. I hope that clarifies things. And yes, Yogi is absolutely correct, most "no decision letter" people do get waitlisted around May 15, though some are rejected or accepted along the way.

Oh yeah, interviewfeedback.com and SDN are NOT the same site to my knowledge. Also, Dean Sarno and all the other interviewers pull files at random and complete their evaluation immediately following the interview (unless the process has drastically changed since 2001). Therefore, whatever you say on this site is very unlikely to impact their decision (unless you say something insulting about Dr. Sarno on here before your interview, and he gets your file and remembers your name). As long as you don't say anything dishonest or discourteous on here about ad com members just to be safe or use unedited bad language in other threads, you should be fine. good luck, and remember to breathe deeply and relax;)

16. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

Hey Katie

Is it true that thee acceptance rate post interview is like over 50%? I keep on hearing this, but I don't want to believe it for some reason.... so most, >50% of the interviewees will actually be placed "on hold" ie. waitlisted and then eventually accepted? I'm really pleased about the semi-open file way of the interview! I'm curious, post-interview, how do they decide who to accept after 6 weeks? is it mostly based on the interview, or the whole package? :confused:

17. hello! although I don't know the exact acceptance rate post-interview, I have heard the post-interview figure you posted and it sounds like it would be correct. Tufts is a very expensive school, and while they are less-numbers oriented than a lot of other schools ranked in the top 50, they do interview and accept a lot of high-profile (e.g. Ivy Leaguers or Berkeley grads with 3.8+ GPA and >33 MCAT) applicants that turn down Tufts to attend higher-ranked schools. Therefore, there tend to be a good number of spots left over for those on the waitlist, and this leads to a higher acceptance rate than is seen at many schools. I don't think this fact will cause Tufts' reputation to diminish; the school just built a new basic sciences building. Example: In 2000, the University of Maryland SOM ended up taking nearly half their class from the waitlist and they still went up a point in the US News rankings that year.

As far as I know, applicants are evaluated by the committee using the "formula" I talked about earlier to give candidates a score (25% GPA, 25% MCAT, 25% each interview). Sarno told us that after the interview, each interviewer gives the candidate a numerical score from 1 to 5 (one lowest, 5 best), and must justify why they gave the score they did. I don't know what kind of scoring is used for GPA and MCAT. My best guess is that they use the numbers themselves, but also try to evaluate your GPA in the context of where you went to undergrad (coming from Cornell you have an advantage here) and if you had an upward/downward trend, etc. URM status is also taken into strong consideration in addition to the "formula", as Tufts seems to want to increase its URM enrollment. So basically, the adcom seems to add up your scores, all weighted equally, in each category, then will make a decision based on your total score (accept, hold, reject). beyond this, I have no idea how the admissions process works Good luck! BTW, neither the hold files nor the waitlist beginning in May are ranked.

18. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for your helpful info, Katie. Keep it up girl! :clap:

19. TeinVI

TeinVI Membership Revoked
    Removed

does anybody know when tufts sends out its first batch of acceptance letters. i inter iewed there 10/29 and still haven't heard jack.

20. bridgie

bridgie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

was there 10/15 still waiting....

supposed to hear in dec. i think....