tuition and fees reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njaqua

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so...when i was filling out the enrollment documents my recruiter showed me the form the business office at my school filled out. under "tuition and fees" they listed 37K which is the entire budget, not 21K which is tuition and fees. the rec. told me this figure is what the Army will pay and to not say anything about it being wrong b/c i would probably get a refund check for the difference (16K!) since the Army will assume the school includes the reimbursables, etc., in the payment of the 37K. this sounds way too good to be true. anybody have any idea if this is possible or plausible?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

the military will probably give you the money now, but if you are in fact getting paid more than you should be, they will probably discover it in a couple of months and have you either pay it back or garnish your scholarship for a couple of months. A good idea, since they might not catch it for a while is take the extra that you are getting paid and put it in a savings or money market account and earn interest off of it. That way at least you can make some money and you are not spending what is probably going to eventually be recouped. Otherwise, you can check with the personnel and/or training office (I Don't know the Army's office names or numbers) and they will confirm whether this amount is right or wrong. Hope this helps.

njaqua said:
so...when i was filling out the enrollment documents my recruiter showed me the form the business office at my school filled out. under "tuition and fees" they listed 37K which is the entire budget, not 21K which is tuition and fees. the rec. told me this figure is what the Army will pay and to not say anything about it being wrong b/c i would probably get a refund check for the difference (16K!) since the Army will assume the school includes the reimbursables, etc., in the payment of the 37K. this sounds way too good to be true. anybody have any idea if this is possible or plausible?

thanks.

Oh, no, no, no. Your school will have to send an invoice to the Army. This will detail what it costs for you to go to school. The DOD has what are called Educational Service Agreements (ESAs) that basically state the military will pay what the schools charge everybody else. If the school inflates the actual invoice price, it risks being charged with fraud. They won't do it. And there is no cap to the amount of tuition and fees the DOD will pay. Whatever everyone else is paying is the cap.

If the school overbills and gives you the difference you too could be brought up on Federal Fraud charges, so don't take that money.

Members don't see this ad :)
NavyFP said:
Oh, no, no, no. Your school will have to send an invoice to the Army. This will detail what it costs for you to go to school. The DOD has what are called Educational Service Agreements (ESAs) that basically state the military will pay what the schools charge everybody else. If the school inflates the actual invoice price, it risks being charged with fraud. They won't do it. And there is no cap to the amount of tuition and fees the DOD will pay. Whatever everyone else is paying is the cap.

If the school overbills and gives you the difference you too could be brought up on Federal Fraud charges, so don't take that money.

...unless of course, you want to do your GMO at Leavenworth breaking rocks... :D

i want out

njaqua said:

thanks.

He is full of crap. The difference in the budget is likely your cost of living expenses which will be paid to you via your monthly stipend. You have no control over the military's payment to your school, it is done completely between them. The only thing you control is what books and equipment you get reimbursed and your monthly stipend which is preset anyways. YOU WILL NOT GET A 16K check...you will get 24 much smaller stipends that will likely equal 16..actually probably a little more when you factor ADT pay.

right. cool. thanks everyone! just to be clear, in reference to an earlier post, the rec. said that this form is the invoice for the army and they'll assume that is tuition and fees and pay it. anyway, i'm sure one way or another it's too good to be true. let's cross our fingers for the stipend increase!
texdrake said:
He is full of crap. The difference in the budget is likely your cost of living expenses which will be paid to you via your monthly stipend. You have no control over the military's payment to your school, it is done completely between them. The only thing you control is what books and equipment you get reimbursed and your monthly stipend which is preset anyways. YOU WILL NOT GET A 16K check...you will get 24 much smaller stipends that will likely equal 16..actually probably a little more when you factor ADT pay.