1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuition at Tufts

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by audrey1217, Jul 18, 2001.

1. audrey1217

audrey1217 Junior Member

Why is tuition to Tufts so incredibly expensive compared to most schools? Does this mean that the school spends more money teaching me or does the money get filtered to other departments of the school? I'm going there this fall, but the cost worries me (plus Boston is really expensive)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, it is a private school in an expensive part of the country--but medical school tuition is usually only a small part of the medical school's budget. Much of it also comes from private funds (gifts, endowments) and research grants.

I recall, at my school, tuition contributes about $50M/year. The total budget is $800M year for the school. So, in summary, I think the number that they pick is totally arbitrary.

4. bluegill

bluegill Member
    7+ Year Member

I doubt very much that the money gets distributed elsewhere. I have read that the actual cost of educating a medical student for one year is greater than $50,000. So the private schools charge tuition from $25,000 to $35,000 and rely on the endowment/donors to cover the rest.

This is one of the reasons that there are never any new med schools opening - med schools are a financial sink for universities.

I went to college in Boston (and loved it), but you are right about the cost of living. I only applied to one med school in Boston because I need a break from the sky-high prices of rent/food/parking/beer. But I miss the city a lot, and you can bet I'll be shooting for a residency from Tufts or BU or Harvard four years from now, because Boston is THE capital of academic medicine for the world.

Good luck at Tufts. It's in a cool part of the city. Go to Red Sox games.

5. Ryu

Ryu Member
    10+ Year Member

"Boston is THE capital of academic medicine for the world."

What a narrow-minded statement for the world also.

6. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I can tell you that Tufts has a very small endowment from my days working for their alumni fundraising office and as an undergrad. That said, they charge either the same or less than BU, Georgetown, and GW. Major cities where cost of living and business operations force things to be higher priced.

Good luck at tufts. I am on their waitlist and hoping to get in!

7. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

Narrow minded? Point out another city in the world that has as many prestigous academic medical centers in one location. It's pretty impressive, even some of my professors have called it that and I go to school at U of Maryland.

8. MSU2004

MSU2004 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I somehow think that the Bay Area is more the capital...Stanford AND UCSF are kinda hard to beat, my friend.

9. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, and also because the number of med schools is regulated by the federal government, I believe.

10. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree with CKent...Boston's medical-universe-centricity is not only about the 3 great med schools (Harvard, Tufts, and to a lesser extent, BU), its also about the plethora of first-class hospitals in the area. Consider:

MGH is 'Mans Best Hospital', Dana-Farber is unparalled for Oncology (esp. Ped.), NEMC, BMC, BIDMC, Brigham-Womens, St. E's, all first rate. In my opinion the Bay Area can't compete.

11. Ryu

Ryu Member
    10+ Year Member

still capital of the world? Frog in the well, I might describe. World? ha, your world is so small. It's because I don't know every city of the world, and because of this uncertainty, I cannot say for the fact that certain city is the best in the world.

Don't you get it? The reason you say Boston is the captial of the world is because you don't know every major city of the world, and you can't compare it.

What you are thinking is probably more like, "Boston is probably the capital of US in medicine." Right?

Acknowledging your own deficiency and lack of knowledge is an imperative and brave step to take, my friends.

12. audrey1217

audrey1217 Junior Member

East coast/West coast medical school rivalry statements aside (I'm from the midwest so even though I'm going east, I'm initially neutral), thanks for the comments about tuition at Tufts. Now I can tell this to my parents so they understand why we're dishing out this much...

13. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

You are very lucky that you get to tell your parents that and that it is a "we" that is dishing out money. It's very difficult to be completely financially independent as a student, undergrad or med student. Any small amount of help can add up to a lot when you consider interest.

14. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi Audrey 1217,
    I saw your inquiry about tufts tuition. Im currently a Tufts Medical student going into my second year. The tuition is awfully expensive and the school is barely endowed so they have no money to give away, it really stinks. Also, our facilities arent better than state schools by any means. to tell you the truth i have NO idea what they do with the tuition. And yes boston is very expensive, if you want to live near school plan to spend around $1000 on rent. Anyways, the schools great, i love it, but definitely not worth the huge tuition.
    Good luck in school!