Tulane "acceptance range"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolateshake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.. I had a question regarding Tulane's acceptance range.. I interviewed there about 2 weeks ago, and recently received a letter in the mail saying that I have been put on their "acceptance range", and won't hear a definite answer from them until interviews end in March, or perhaps as late August!! Is anyone else in the same position? Do people in the acceptance range really stand any chance? I was kind of disappointed as this was my first interview and I thought it went really well... and I don't think my stats are bad either 3.9GPA, 33MCAT..
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto, received the letter today.

I too am a bit shocked, given that my interviews there went very very well. I thought the program was a perfect fit for my interests! My stats aren't too bad either, so I'm not really sure what happened there...

Sachin

Do you think it's a good idea to try to find what we lacked? I thought of emailing my student interviewer and casually asking her what she thought...

I think finding out by end of next semester is too damn late! Might as well have said a definite no now!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the courage, then yeah go ahead and talk to someone at the school about your application. I'm just gong to wait and see what happens with the other schools I've interviewed at..

Holy poop! got waitlisted with a 3.9 33?

It must be that they just dont think you would go cause you will be accepted somwhere else..Pisano said they dont do things like that though.....but still it must be the case....unless you have a swastika tatood on your head. I just got in with a 3.4 35M with no connections or anything. And i dont think that 2 points on the mcat was worth a whooping .5 gpa differential. Was your verbal an 8 and you had a 12 and 13 on the other sections? that might piss them off. Maybe the interview went worse than you thought. who did you have for interviewers?

maybe again it is that they think your out of their leauge? I mean those are Ivy averages your packing there....

Hey,
Thanks.....just wish they thought I was good enough to accept straight away! My MCAT scores were pretty balanced actually 10verbal, 11biol, 12phys..
For the interview I had Dr. Pisano and Dr. Johnson (PhD in the physiology dept.) and both of them appeared so nice!! I really had a good feeling after the interview...I mean I didn't exactly answer any questions in an extraordinary way..but the qs too were mostly conversational. So I really don't know what worked against my favor :(

My interviewers were telling me how the school was a perfect place for me, were interested in my music/research background, and blah blah...

perfect my A$$

Hey people,

I'm curious...who did y'all interview with on your visit? Did any of you NOT have an interview with Pisano?? I interviewed with Dr. Owens and Dr. Thalheim and a student...that's all.

I wonder if that means anything in the grand scheme of things??

GW

Not too sure how much the interviewer means in the grand scheme of things.. I had Dr. Beckman and an OB/GYN doctor and a student, my friend had Pisano but I'm not sure if he got accepted or not

:laugh:

tsk feigning interest in us.....

Do you think my being an international student had something to do with it? Although I asked Dr. Pisano about their international students, and he said that once invited for an interview..it doesn't matter if you are international or not..

I've heard that there's only one hard person to interview with at Tulane... a certain Dr. M.. otherwise everyone is very friendly..

Just to ease some fears out there-

MOST applicants are put on the "acceptance range." If you thought your interviews went well and you'll be a good match here, continue to express interest in the school, and you should be okay.

Unless, of course, you failed the last part of the interview, which is to show up at Joe's after your tour. If you didn't do that, you're screwed.

just kidding

I had the chaplain Owens, he was great
Had an infectuous disease MD researcher Dr.beilke who freaked me out...the only actual interview ive had with direct pointed questions.
Another guy who interviewed my day said he had the same student as i did, who he said was an owens but im not sure.
No pisano for me.

golly. I don't think I have ever heard of the acceptance range. I assume it is where a schoool puts poeple who have been interviewed, who they don't want to reject, but who want to wait to see if anything better comes along?

Crazy I would say with your stats you should be accepted. Maybe you can email them in a few months and see if they are any closer to decision.

This waiting REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep waiting sucks!! It would've been nice to have an acceptance this early in the game..

Oh well..!!:)

last year tulane was the worst interview set that i had. some crazy guy asking me all sorts of offbeat questions about dermatological immunity and the dendritic cells (wtf?) and then getting angry at me for not liking mahler and not really getting into mozart's solo piano pieces (you can only do runs for so long, man! 21 years of classical piano experience has taught me that much at least)... then i had this psychiatrist who (seriously) wanted to talk about my dad and then about metaphors for med school for a whole 5 seconds. he spent the rest of the interview talking about himself. :confused:

i was put into "acceptance range" and then i withdrew. odd. i LOVE new orleans, though, and if i decide that i want to go into trauma/emergency med, i plan on applying there and hopefully working at charity. great urban trauma program.

:laugh:

Well atleast you had a hint that the interview did not go extremely well!

I wonder if anyone who has been on the acceptance range ended up getting accepted eventually...

Reactions: 1 user
yeah but the odd part about the skin immunology guy was that i saw his little paper that he was writing my evaluation on. (he was an odd duck, let me say to preface this) ... there were different sections for different portions of what he was supposed to be evaluating, and he had only one word written in each section: "excellent." :confused: this, after berating me for thinking knee-jerk mahler/mozart-lovers could be a little too dilettantish.... and then getting mad at me for not knowing the primary antigen presenting cell in the dermis (i at least got the fact that the epidermis had no immune cells). weird weird interview. maybe it was the psych guy that really didn't like me ... i should have steered him away from the one-sided convo he seemed to be having w/himself. :laugh:

Originally posted by chocolateshake
I wonder if anyone who has been on the acceptance range ended up getting accepted eventually...

Like I said earlier, most people get put on that list, and therefore a huge chunk of the class is taken from it, as I was.

It works something like this- we have rolling admissions, but kinda not really. If you're accepted right off the bat, great, you probably are stellar all-around. [Edit: interviewing early is a huge, huge plus, and will increase your chances of getting in.] But MOST people are thrown into that giant acceptance range pool, which they only really start to draw from around late April/early May. So like I said, DO NOT WORRY! Yes, the waiting sucks, but that's the name of the game at this point.

Also FYI, the acceptance range isn't ranked. Interpret this how you want, but if you're interested in coming here, be sure to show it.

GoodMonkey's interview is definitely not the norm (though I guess it happens, sorry to hear about it!)- most are very friendly and conversational.

Feel free to PM me if you have any q's about the school or admissions or whatever.