Tulane and GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mybliss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both Tulane and GWU in EPI (MPH). I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. I will be visiting both this month and that should give me a better idea. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on these schools, or the cities the schools are in, that could help me out. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Although I'm currently waiting on 2 other schools, I too have been accepted to GW and Tulane and would like as much information as possible in order to make the best decision. I'm going into epidemiology and would like to focus on infectious diseases, possibly working abroad at some point. I know that Tulane is probably more known in the field and is good for global health, but I like that GW is a small program and is in a larger city. I'm wondering if GW would have better access to internships and practicum options due to being in DC or if Tulane would also be a good choice. I think I could be happy at either school (or at one of the two I'm still waiting on), but I want to gather information so I can feel confident in my decision and start making arrangements for the fall. Thanks in advance!! :)

I am in the EXACT same boat! I've been accepted to EPI/MCH at Tulane and EPI at GWU. [yay epi's!] I'm actually going to visit both Tulane and GWU as well on their visit days, because I feel like it wouldn't be fair to dismiss one without visiting the other. I'm extremely interested in HIV/AIDS and rural/underserved health demographics and both would allow me explore my interests. I'm also one of those individuals who couldn't care less about "Rankings" since they are all subjective in nature anyways. Heck, the last time the US News ranked MPH programs was in 2007. That's actually a pretty substantial time to improve on the quality of programs.

Eventually I do want to be in the government sector, specifically working with the underserved. I'll be straight up, I'm planning on going to Medical School after my Master's program, which I know lots of MPHs despise. However, I wanted to get my MPH anyways and I felt that the MD/MPH programs would not give me the same caliber of Public Health that I'm in love with. Sorry for the random side note!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to both programs for global health (not epi) and I am similarly conflicted. Right now I am leaning toward GW because I love the internship and work opportunities in Washington DC. The program is so flexible half of the students work or intern full-time and take classes at night. I have a feeling I will accept GW's offer because there just aren't the same networking opportunities with Federal Agencies and global non-profits in New Orleans.

I am in a similar boat too! I was accepted into the epi program at GW, Tulane, and Pitt. I moved to DC 3 years ago right after I finished undergrad I have a nice paying full time job, so naturally I applied to GW. I applied for Tulane too though because I want to go into infectious disease epi and have access to professors doing work in global health and international internship opportunities. I visited GW in October for their open house, and I just recently came back from a visit at Tulane.

At GW I got a sense from the students I talked to that even though it is doable, it is very difficult to work full time and take full advantage of the epi program. I also heard that the professors are not as available because are doing work else where and not only for GW. I did hear though hat there were many opportunities to work in DC and for other agencies, especially within the government. As far as living in DC, I love it, but it is dreadfully expensive, especially in Foggy Bottom. However, you can live in many other cheaper areas of DC, VA, or MD as long as they are metro (our subway) accessible, or you have a car (parking can be extremely expensive or hard to find however). Currently, I live in an OK but old, 800 sq ft 1-br apt in the Van Ness area of DC. It was originally $1700, but we "luckily" got it for $1479, which is a steal for our area. A lot of college students from AU and probably GW live there.

At Tulane, the program seemed to have a slight organization issue, but the students seem to love it there. The faculty members I talked to were extremely nice, and very busy on recently recieved grants. They seemed very open to working with students. I heard the program was challenging but very rewarding and students are more cooperative rather than competitive. There are are around 200 hundred students in the epi dept. 30-40 new students each fall. I was able to meet many students outside of the ones the program coordinator set me up to meet. They were all extremely nice, and I think I already met a couple lifelong friends! One of them had even went to GW for a semester and then transferred to Tulane and absolutely loves it. Everyone loved their program and advisor, and they all were currently working with a professor or at the LA Public Health agency, and not working crappy campus jobs. Outside of that, they said opportunities in NO and internationally were abundant through Tulane, which is good, since they require a 200 hr practicum outside of working with a professor. Living in NO is certainly different than DC. I got a chance to hang out with some of the students in the local areas and tourist areas, and I loved it! The bar scene is awesome. There are some run down areas, but you just need to know where to go. The public transportation wasn't as good as DC but Tulane has a shuttle system that helps. I was able to get around ok and I dont plan on having a car. If you are more laid back you will definitely like NO. It has definitely rebounded in many ways since the flood. Also there is warm weather in the winter versus cold in DC. However, the weather is extremely hot and humid if you stay in the summer.

All in all, I am leaning toward Tulane because I think it will be a better fit for me professionally for infect. disease epi, and also mentally. It has a laid back atmosphere that seems perfect for a college town and for the stress that will most definitely be incurred during the school year. Also, it seems easier to really connect with the professors and do meaningful research. Also, students and professors were saying that pretty much all students that graduate the epi dept easily land epi jobs, almost all of which are outside of NO. I still have to visit Pitt however, so we'll see what happens.

Antris

I really liked your post since I'm also interested in infectious disease epi and Tulane. It will be great if you could post your impressions on Pitt after your visit !