Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I posted about this a while ago, and the building is nearly full with tulane med students. However, we are still looking for one person who is cool with living with someone of the opposite gender. Right now we have a guy and girl who have both reserved rooms in the apartment on the second floor, so if there is anyone out there (male or female) who is cool with that (and living in an awesome place), send me an email!!

Description of the building below:

Huge, Luxury Uptown Tulane Only Apartments Available Now!

542 Lowerline Street

Passed inspection with flying colors...no storm damage or flooding from any storms.

Apartments are located on a beautiful street uptown--3 houses from st. charles, near audubon park and the undergrad campus.

Once the streetcars start running, it will be a 30 second walk to get on them. If you don't have a car, there will be carpooling to and from classes and you are within walking distance to a bunch of stores, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc.

Lowest crime area in N.O. (we looked at NOPD crime maps!), fully alarmed just in case.

While this sounds cool, I consulted these same crime maps and was hoping to find a place with a few more murders nearby. Or, at the very least a few attempted murders.

Members don't see this ad.

just wanted to give this thread a bump to say that my decision is final... looking forward to being a T1, class of 2011! :banana:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
braluk is not going to be happy...

Say hello to your new classroom:

042607_Poydras-LectureHall.jpg

It will be primarily be used for T2's.

I live in this area...lived on the corner of Freret and Lowerline until about 2 months ago...and while I haven't looked at the crime maps and specifically what they cover, I can tell you there are quite a few muggings and the like in this area. There are a lot of undergrads, meaning lots of drunk undergrads stumbling home at the wee hours of the morning and they apparently make easy targets. It's a fairly safe area, yes, but I never quite felt safe being outside at night. Here are the off-campus crime reports for the area (they do send out alerts when these things happen): https://clue.tcs.tulane.edu/projects/dps/off_campus.cfm

Hope that helped (and doesn't scare you away).

PS - the pancakes at Cafe Freret (Freret @ Lowerline) are deeeeeelicious.

And while I'm at it...can someone post the link to whatever the site is you guys are posting for housing on? I need a roommate, and I want a T1 because I miss the smell of cadavers so much. :thumbdown: It will be me (T2 next year) and my soon-to-be T1 friend from college, if anyone wants more info.

And Braluk, I thought we pinky-swore not to tell about our little affair...you'd better be tall so Kai can't reach your face with his tiny fists of death. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in this area...lived on the corner of Freret and Lowerline until about 2 months ago...and while I haven't looked at the crime maps and specifically what they cover, I can tell you there are quite a few muggings and the like in this area. There are a lot of undergrads, meaning lots of drunk undergrads stumbling home at the wee hours of the morning and they apparently make easy targets. It's a fairly safe area, yes, but I never quite felt safe being outside at night. Here are the off-campus crime reports for the area (they do send out alerts when these things happen): https://clue.tcs.tulane.edu/projects/dps/off_campus.cfm

Hope that helped (and doesn't scare you away).

PS - the pancakes at Cafe Freret (Freret @ Lowerline) are deeeeeelicious.

eep! well luckily the place I'm looking at is actually on the other side of St. Charles on Lowerline...and only about 3 houses away from it. From what I'm told from a family friend thats a realtor in n.o., the closer you are to st. charles...the safer it is. Maybe those 6 blocks or so will make a difference?

And while I'm at it...can someone post the link to whatever the site is you guys are posting for housing on? I need a roommate, and I want a T1 because I miss the smell of cadavers so much. :thumbdown: It will be me (T2 next year) and my soon-to-be T1 friend from college, if anyone wants more info.

And Braluk, I thought we pinky-swore not to tell about our little affair...you'd better be tall so Kai can't reach your face with his tiny fists of death. :)
6'0 but i hunch so im around 3'5 =/

there are two sites for housing- one is somforum.com and is maintained by a current T2, the only thing is, it takes a while before your account gets verified to actually peruse the forum so if you want, you can use my account and check it out. The other site was emailed to us by Tulane and is
http://d-h-o.us/forums/TU/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=18

just thought I'd bump this thread with a repeat question- I remember hearing that Tulane suggests a Dell laptop but does anyone know if that's necessary? Is a mac helpful for Tulane students?

thanks for any advice!

just thought I'd bump this thread with a repeat question- I remember hearing that Tulane suggests a Dell laptop but does anyone know if that's necessary? Is a mac helpful for Tulane students?

thanks for any advice!

Considering the fact that Dell is perhaps the ****tiest brand in computer products, I wouldn't recommend ever buying one, even if God himself came to you and said buy a Dell.

Mac, however, is awesome and I would buy one regardless of what Tulane says.

I love my mac. Lots of the T1s use macs and we don't have any problems. When the wireless was on the fritz for a while, macs were able to pick up the signal way better than PCs too. So far I haven't had anything that wouldn't work on it. MacBaby, which you'll use for embryo, didn't seem to work on new macs at first, but all you have to do is run it in Classic...or something. I just clicked on what they told me to and it worked. Someone can show you when that time comes. I personally will help you for $5, and a promise to not get mad at me if I break your computer.

I love my mac. Lots of the T1s use macs and we don't have any problems. When the wireless was on the fritz for a while, macs were able to pick up the signal way better than PCs too. So far I haven't had anything that wouldn't work on it. MacBaby, which you'll use for embryo, didn't seem to work on new macs at first, but all you have to do is run it in Classic...or something. I just clicked on what they told me to and it worked. Someone can show you when that time comes. I personally will help you for $5, and a promise to not get mad at me if I break your computer.

Macs are for hippies and funboys.

Where are the prettiest areas to live? I'm imagining treelined streets, and fixed up old houses... Any students live in those neighborhoods of southern beauty??

has anyone heard anything new about our financial aid award letters?

hahaha. I love maddox. his site is hilarious. I admit that this entry is dead on. mac users are unbelievably snobby . However, i still think macs are far superior to anything designed or manufactured by dell.:cool:

Macs are for hippies and funboys.

At least I'm not carrying my computer around in a busted shopping bag stolen from the guys sleeping in front of Walgreens.

And what was it about the Tchoupitoulas Challenge I heard last week..."oh 8 scoops of ice cream is nothing! I'm not worried!" Are you done puking yet? :)

2 Tulane med students looking to keep our apt in the Tulane med family...

2 BR/2 Bath apt for rent $1300/mo. Apt located right on St. Charles in uptown. It's between Napoleon and Louisiana Ave. Gated garage parking for one car. Apt is great for one or two people. Unbelievable location for Mardi Gras as it's right on the parade route. The whole party comes to you. All you have to do is wake up and step out your front door and you're in the middle of carnival New Orleans style.

PM me if interested and we can exchange correspondences.

At least I'm not carrying my computer around in a busted shopping bag stolen from the guys sleeping in front of Walgreens.

And what was it about the Tchoupitoulas Challenge I heard last week..."oh 8 scoops of ice cream is nothing! I'm not worried!" Are you done puking yet? :)

At least I haven't slept with the guys sleeping in front of Walgreens, and next time I will eat Tchoupitloulas Sundae's and throw up in your car.

At least I haven't slept with the guys sleeping in front of Walgreens, and next time I will eat Tchoupitloulas Sundae's and throw up in your car.

Of course...when you were with the guys sleeping in front of Walgreen's, no sleeping was done, if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

Hey guys,

I think they may have moved Donna to the front office. I called the other day and she was the one answering the phone. Our ally in fin. aid. may be gone.

Anyone in New Orleans have any opinions on the hospitals as far as employment is concerned?

Being the stubborn person I am, I would like to work part-time at one of the New Orleans hospitals. I have a nursing license and wanted to work as much as I will be able to.

I know Tulane would be ideal b/c it is close by but distance is not a factor for me.

Are threre any hospitals that seem to have their act together, good pay, great staff, etc? Any hospitals that I should avoid?

I have found 4 hospitals so far on the internet; Tulane, the Oschner set, East Jeff., and LSU/Charity. Am I missing any?

Whatever LSU is building to replace Charity, they are offering $30/hr for RNs. I can't pass up that money during school.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also Im still wondering, anyone receive their award letters yet? I submitted all my stuff late March/early April.

Nothing yet Braluk.

When I called two days ago they said we should be receiving it within 2 weeks and the orientation packet should be coming at about the same time.

Anyone in New Orleans have any opinions on the hospitals as far as employment is concerned?

Being the stubborn person I am, I would like to work part-time at one of the New Orleans hospitals. I have a nursing license and wanted to work as much as I will be able to.

I know Tulane would be ideal b/c it is close by but distance is not a factor for me.

Are threre any hospitals that seem to have their act together, good pay, great staff, etc? Any hospitals that I should avoid?

I have found 4 hospitals so far on the internet; Tulane, the Oschner set, East Jeff., and LSU/Charity. Am I missing any?

Whatever LSU is building to replace Charity, they are offering $30/hr for RNs. I can't pass up that money during school.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am not sure on who exactly has their act together, but in addition to your list there is also Touro (uptown by st. charles), Children's (on Henry Clay), West Jeff (on the West Bank). There is also Kenner Regional but I think it may have been bought out and now be part of the Oschner set. LSU/Charity is using University right now until they rebuild Charity and that is on Tulane Ave.

Good Luck!

this whole delay in financial aid packets and orientation info is absolute bull****, they really need to get their act together

What delay are you referring to?

I've always heard May since a while back.

Hi guys. I have a question for any current student who is on the admissions committee and happens to read this thread. I am on the waitlist and I was wondering if you know if there is going to be any movement this year (as oppose to last year when there was no wait list movement).

And my apologies to the accepted students for possibly misusing this thread.

Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Hi guys. I have a question for any current student who is on the admissions committee and happens to read this thread. I am on the waitlist and I was wondering if you know if there is going to be any movement this year (as oppose to last year when there was no wait list movement).

And my apologies to the accepted students for possibly misusing this thread.

Im not on the adcom or anything like that, but there were some ideas that there may be some more waitlist movement this year. I know that they accepted about 300 students with about half to drop. The reason why some people said that there might be some more movement is because the progress in rebuilding new orleans has been slower than expected and under expectations, so that it may turn off some prospective students. But these are all projections, I guess all you can do is just sit and wait and really realyl convey to the adcom that you belong there; being passive and waiting may work against you. Good luck!

Im not on the adcom or anything like that, but there were some ideas that there may be some more waitlist movement this year. I know that they accepted about 300 students with about half to drop. The reason why some people said that there might be some more movement is because the progress in rebuilding new orleans has been slower than expected and under expectations, so that it may turn off some prospective students. But these are all projections, I guess all you can do is just sit and wait and really realyl convey to the adcom that you belong there; being passive and waiting may work against you. Good luck!

Appreciate the kind words. I'm definitely going to be proactive. Good luck with your studies next year. :luck:

it was originally late april

Has anyone had their $500 (deposit) check cashed yet? And if so when did you send in your deposit.

I called and they said they received my check a while back but I forgot to ask why they haven't cashed it yet. Are they just waiting for the May 15 date to roll past?

I'm just waiting for my acceptance to be rescinded on a technicality. I wish the first day of classes were here so they couldn't take it back.

Has anyone had their $500 (deposit) check cashed yet? And if so when did you send in your deposit.

I called and they said they received my check a while back but I forgot to ask why they haven't cashed it yet. Are they just waiting for the May 15 date to roll past?

I'm just waiting for my acceptance to be rescinded on a technicality. I wish the first day of classes were here so they couldn't take it back.

I sent mine back in Feb or March and I got my receipt last month. It takes them a while because they copy the check onto the letter they send about your acceptance of their acceptance. :p

As far as the waitlist, I hear there could be up to 50 coming off of it.

I sent my deposit check in late March and also got a receipt in the mail last month. The check was cashed a few days after I got the receipt.

dude, i totally feel the same way. By "technicality" I mean "police record"

Hey Guys!

I'm sharing a great place uptown with another med student and wanted to let you know about a room that's available for the summer (June and July), and possibly the entire year.

It's a huge place, brand new and completely furnished. You'd have two roommates in the house, and a huge pool in the backyard. Everyone living there is a super-cool Tulane Med student as well.

The location is great too, on Nashville and Fountainbleau about 2 mins from the uptown campus, gym and I-10.

I really love this house and think it will be an amazing place to spend the summer. A huge grill and private pool can never hurt!

PM if interested and I'll send pics and set up a time to see the place. The rent is $600/ month.

So, I don't know if all these housing offers are annoying yet, but I'll throw mine in anyway...

1 bedroom with full private bathroom (in a 2BR/2BA house), this bedroom is the only thing upstairs so it's very private. New floors, new stove, new-ish washer and dryer, backyard with patio and storage shed (landlord does the yardwork), free cable TV (don't ask), off-street parking, central heat/air, 3rd-year law student roommate.

Rent is $550 and our utilities have been pretty cheap ($30-40 a month per person). Address is 1114 Adams St (close to undergrad campus and gym). I am leaving June 1, so I really would like to have it rented by then. If you want to know more, message me for details and pictures.

This ends the annoying housing interruption.
Also, Kai likes old ladies. I mean, he likes likes old ladies. ;)

So, I don't know if all these housing offers are annoying yet, but I'll throw mine in anyway...

1 bedroom with full private bathroom (in a 2BR/2BA house), this bedroom is the only thing upstairs so it's very private. New floors, new stove, new-ish washer and dryer, backyard with patio and storage shed (landlord does the yardwork), free cable TV (don't ask), off-street parking, central heat/air, 3rd-year law student roommate.

Rent is $550 and our utilities have been pretty cheap ($30-40 a month per person). Address is 1114 Adams St (close to undergrad campus and gym). I am leaving June 1, so I really would like to have it rented by then. If you want to know more, message me for details and pictures.

This ends the annoying housing interruption.
Also, Kai likes old ladies. I mean, he likes likes old ladies. ;)

For a change you're right, I a fan of the cougars. But it is a known fact that women don't peak sexually until their late 30's; its not my fault that you young skirts can't handle my libido.

Anyone have any idea when we'll be getting our orientation packets and financial award letters?