Tulane gensurg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celiac Plexus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
THanks to everyone who posted on the UCSF-EB thread. I am asking the same thing this time about Tulane. Anyone?

P.S. - I hope that everything is going well for you guys/girls!

Members don't see this ad.

As a 4th year student I can tell you I think the program is strong and continues to improve. The department just recently hired 5 additional surgerons and opened two brand new ethicon laproscopic surgical suites.

The people are pleasant. The training at Charity Hospital and Tulane Hospital is excellent. The graduating chiefs last year snatched up some pretty impressive fellowships. No research required, however, the faculty is actively engaged in research and most residents publish multiple papers during the residency.

I would recommend that you interview at Tulane. Tulane doesn't have many fellowships, which allows the residents to 1st assist all of the time.

Trauma surgery experience is second to none.

also try sending an email to SDN member jjackis. he is also a fourth year at Tulane applying for ENT so he may have some idea of the surgery program. do email though because he rarely visits the website since his computer got stolen, but he has been helpful to others. he has it listed on SDN as [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information! Good luck everyone!

A very good program that is only getting better. Has a malignant reputation, which is improving. Lots of new, young, energetic faculty. The training at Charity is top notch, with a lot of resident autonomy. Tons of trauma. At Tulane Medical Center across the street you get good exposure to tertiary care cases. The two biggest strengths of Tulane are trauma/critical care and transplant. Chiefs get very good fellowships. Also, New Orleans is a great city to live in. You'll work like crazy at Tulane, but you'll have very strong skills and a lot of confidence when you finish.

Interviewed at Tulane today. Interviews started at 10:45 and continued to about 4:15pm, with tour and lunch in between. From 5pm to 7pm the residents take you to dinner to a famous New Orleans restaurant. New Orleans = great food. For flight reservations, just be aware that you will be invited to dinner after the interview day.

The people seemed pretty committed to resident education from the chairman down. Interviews were very casual, not stressful at all. Met about 14 residents, and the overall impression was that they were happy with the program.

They've got a laproscopic skills laboratory very similar to Southwestern's, however, Tulane is the only program in the south with the DaVinci robot. They are in the process of creating a 1.5million dollar resident learning center, where didactic sessions will be held and a place for residents to study/research.

Tulane is also in the process of constructing a brand new outpatient surgery center.

All in all, this is definitely a program that is on the rise. Its reputation within surgery is very well regarded.

Very impressed with their program.