Tulane Medical School: What's gonna happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Messerschmitts

Mythic Dawn acolyte
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are all obviously saddened by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, especially upon the city of New Orleans, and I apologise to anyone who's offended by my questions, but I figure I'm not the only one wondering:

I chose Tulane as one of my schools when I sent in my AMCAS on August 15, well before the hurricane. I haven't received a secondary invitation from them either before or after the storm. Tulane is actually one of the schools I really wanted to attend. Does anyone have any information on what their admissions council intends to do as a result of current events? I know from their emergency website that their undergraduate programme will not have a fall semester for this year. However, I assume that by fall of 2006 they intend to have things running again, and I should assume they still need a new class of medical school students. Does anyone have any information?

Also I'm a little scared that the competition will be just a little fiercer this year, since all the people who could have gone to Tulane will have to seek admissions elsewhere. I'm a reapplicant, and the competition just seems to get worse and worse!

Members don't see this ad.

hey, it's ok. we're all right there with you on this one. but there is nothing to be anxious about, because nothing is under anyone's control right now. besides, even if we did know who and what number to dial, it's not quite pc to ask... and i'm sure the administrators don't quite know what to do either, especially since this is a problem to put on the back-burner in light of things happening right now. i really like tulane too (top 5). we'll just have to hope for the best. :)

According to the AAMC, students that are part of the affected medical schools will be able to continue their studies in another school for 1 year.

As for the application process, contact the AAMC and find out if Tulane told them anything. My suggestion is to see if the school is answering their phones. I doubt it, they may be getting a larger number of calls. Their website is down as is the University of Louisiana.

Call AAMC and find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a pretty good feeling that they're not gonna be admitting a class for next year. of course, anything could happen.
-mota

DaMota said:
i have a pretty good feeling that they're not gonna be admitting a class for next year. of course, anything could happen.
-mota

That seems really extreme to me. If that happened to the medical school, why not the undergrad who are far more taxed by applicants, or other graduate programs. I'm sure things will be delayed, but just cancelling a whole class? Seems nuts.

unfrozencaveman said:
That seems really extreme to me. If that happened to the medical school, why not the undergrad who are far more taxed by applicants, or other graduate programs. I'm sure things will be delayed, but just cancelling a whole class? Seems nuts.

Not really. If you think about it, many universities in Europe were shut down or somehow run differently during various occupations, wars, bombings, and other disasters. Maybe not Oxford and Cambridge, but I am sure that many of the universities in mainland Europe during WWI and WWII must have had altered operations. So, I don't think it would be abnormal for Tulane to relocate until cleanup (i.e. "university in exile") at other institutions, scrap accepting another class for a year, and make a fresh start next year.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
According to the AAMC, students that are part of the affected medical schools will be able to continue their studies in another school for 1 year.

I'm not sure I understand the logistics of this. There are four years of med students at Tulane and each of the other affected La schools that are going to need to find other schools to join (mid-semester), and that would involve finding classroom space (for the first two years worth) and housing. Most med schools around the country are already full and don't have the structural facility to physically absorb more than perhaps one or two students, even if someone was going to pony up the tuition and moving costs. I've heard that lots of hospitals around the country are temporarilly absorbing the La hospital residents but I've not heard what is to occur with the med students. (Posts on the allo board suggest that a handful of schools are offering to take on some of the students from their region who attended the affected schools as out of state students, but we are talking about a lot of seats to accomodate). Thus it's certainly conceivable that a lot of students are going to simply lose a year (and restart their prior year next fall - assuming cleanup has occurred by then), diminishing the size of the classes Tulane et al can accept currently -- if they even expect to be able to reopen in time for next year. If it's an option, I certainly would place my application emphasis on other parts of the country till things get straightened out down there.

Law2Doc said:
I'm not sure I understand the logistics of this. There are four years of med students at Tulane and each of the other affected La schools that are going to need to find other schools to join (mid-semester), and that would involve finding classroom space (for the first two years worth) and housing. Most med schools around the country are already full and don't have the structural facility to physically absorb more than perhaps one or two students, even if someone was going to pony up the tuition and moving costs. I've heard that lots of hospitals around the country are temporarilly absorbing the La hospital residents but I've not heard what is to occur with the med students. (Posts on the allo board suggest that a handful of schools are offering to take on some of the students from their region who attended the affected schools as out of state students, but we are talking about a lot of seats to accomodate). Thus it's certainly conceivable that a lot of students are going to simply lose a year (and restart their prior year next fall - assuming cleanup has occurred by then), diminishing the size of the classes Tulane et al can accept currently -- if they even expect to be able to reopen in time for next year. If it's an option, I certainly would place my application emphasis on other parts of the country till things get straightened out down there.

Law2Doc,

Things haven't been finalized, but what EMT2ER-DOC said seems true. I think most of the Tulane kids will be attending school in Houston (Baylor and UT Houston). A friend told me that UTSA may also absorb students and I think Southwestern may be taking on some 3rd and 4th years, but perhaps people at the 2 latter schools could speak to that. Baylor has some experience with absorbing students, as they helped UT-Houston during Tropical Storm Allison. I imagine that most of the Tulane students will be given an option if they want to attend school in Houston or wait another year. So far, I know that some of the Tulane 3rd and 4th years will start rotations at Baylor in a couple of weeks. Students at Baylor have already been asked if they are willing to host other students from Tulane, but I believe they are working on alternate housing for them as well. Additionally, getunconcious said that his dean informed UT-Houston students that they will be absorbing Tulane 1st and 2nd years. So yes, it is possible. As for LSU New Orleans, according to the AAMC website it appears they are starting school soon at an alternate location.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Not really. If you think about it, many universities in Europe were shut down or somehow run differently during various occupations, wars, bombings, and other disasters. Maybe not Oxford and Cambridge, but I am sure that many of the universities in mainland Europe during WWI and WWII must have had altered operations. So, I don't think it would be abnormal for Tulane to relocate until cleanup (i.e. "university in exile") at other institutions, scrap accepting another class for a year, and make a fresh start next year.

I can certainly understand changing operations there- but if they are working under the assumption that things will be up and running the following fall, it makes good sense to have first year classes ready to go. If the school is good to go next year, why be without a full class of freshmen and other first year grads? It's a lot of money. Obviously it's just a guess- that admissions will have a late start but not be out of it entirely. That is also an entire department that would be put on haitus for a year- a lot of jobs out for Tulane employees, and a lot of lost revenue down the line.

MadameLULU said:
Law2Doc,

Things haven't been finalized, but what EMT2ER-DOC said seems true. I think most of the Tulane kids will be attending school in Houston (Baylor and UT Houston). A friend told me that UTSA may also absorb students and I think Southwestern may be taking on some 3rd and 4th years, but perhaps people at the 2 latter schools could speak to that. Baylor has some experience with absorbing students, as they helped UT-Houston during Tropical Storm Allison. I imagine that most of the Tulane students will be given an option if they want to attend school in Houston or wait another year. So far, I know that some of the Tulane 3rd and 4th years will start rotations at Baylor in a couple of weeks. Students at Baylor have already been asked if they are willing to host other students from Tulane, but I believe they are working on alternate housing for them as well. Additionally, getunconcious said that his dean informed UT-Houston students that they will be absorbing Tulane 1st and 2nd years. So yes, it is possible. As for LSU New Orleans, according to the AAMC website it appears they are starting school soon at an alternate location.

Yeah, we already have a couple of first years from tulane in our class we've been told, though I haven't seen them, and our schools sent out an email that we would find room for dallas area Tulane students. I am sure Baylor/UTHouston would do the same. I know Rice is letting Tulane ugrads take classes free as well for the fall. I am sure it will all work out, it's just very fortunate that this happened around the beginning of the year for 1st and 2nd year.

I've been assured that LSU-NO (which is about a mile from Tulane) will have an incoming class next year. The city is draining faster than once thought, and I (a tulane undgrad) expect to be able to graduate from Tulane in the spring (maybe i'm being overconfident).

I am very sad about the devastation in LA. I pray for those people.

About Tulane, I got the secondary but hadn't sent it out. And then Katrina came and now I can't access the secondary. I'm worried that this will ruin my chances. I will call AAMC tomorrow. I hope they have an answer. Has anyone already tried to call them or anyone else who might know something? What did they say?

Anyone else have (or had) an interview at Tulane next week? Obviously they have bigger fish to fry than med school interviewees, but I was just curious if anyone has heard anything...
My guess is they'll have interviews (delayed) in Houston.

Also, do you guys have any relief efforts going down to NOLA in the near future? Our school has one going down over fall break (october) that I signed up for... just curious. Our school already has taken on so many Tulane students; I think its great to see people coming together and helping the displaced tulanians in a time of such tragedy and devastation...

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my secondary and the check before katrina. They should have gotten it before the storm because i saw that they cashed the check. THe question is, when evacuating, did they save these papers and have these records or are they floating underwater right now? :scared:

Alexander Pink said:
Yeah, we already have a couple of first years from tulane in our class we've been told, though I haven't seen them, and our schools sent out an email that we would find room for dallas area Tulane students. I am sure Baylor/UTHouston would do the same. I know Rice is letting Tulane ugrads take classes free as well for the fall. I am sure it will all work out, it's just very fortunate that this happened around the beginning of the year for 1st and 2nd year.

Here at Nebraska we've already taken in one from Tulane with word that a couple more will be coming soon

brodaiga said:
I sent in my secondary and the check before katrina. They should have gotten it before the storm because i saw that they cashed the check. THe question is, when evacuating, did they save these papers and have these records or are they floating underwater right now? :scared:

I bet they moved valuable stuff (computers, files, my application, etc) up a floor or two since they aren't exactly hurricane rookies down there.

Guys I just got a letter inviting me to interview...It is dated August 12th but I just got it. The date of the interview they've given me is September 16. I can't get a hold of anyone there...What do I do?

crys20 said:
Guys I just got a letter inviting me to interview...It is dated August 12th but I just got it. The date of the interview they've given me is September 16. I can't get a hold of anyone there...What do I do?

I also have (had) an interview (next week!). The AAMC website says something to the effect of "have patients all you anal premeds!, Tulane has bigger problems." They will probably have all their issued interviews, probably delayed, and probably in Texas (Houston is their new base of operations.) If you hear anything else about your interview please pm me (i'll do the same)...

On another note, I was in the (not-so) friendly admissions office of my University's medical school today and this kid was trying to plead with the dean to let his brother (a 3rd year) come do his rotations here. Pretty sad to see the heartless "go to hell" look on her face when she told him no.
Sad to say, but its all about beauracracy. I bet if the dean of tulane med called our dean and wanted to make something happen, but for now the poor suffering student gets the cold shoulder...

I know, I feel bad even wondering with all the problems they have...But still...I can't call to confirm my interview obviously. Do you think once things get up and running again we'll be able to call and figure out new interview dates and new places to interview at? My date was given as the 16th! So soon, and obviously I am past the time when I could call (I think the hurricane may have slowed down the USPS!) to confirm.

So obviously all of you with interviews coming up are just not going and waiting it out until we have a way to get through to the school to figure out alternate plans?

I will PM you with any news...Please, please do the same. The crazy thing is Tulane was one of my very top choices and with my stats, I never thought I'd get an interview. Now I have...damn Hurricane Katrina! (Least of all for me, obviously, I dont want to sound selfish here! :) .)

I would wait...assuming that they went so far as to cancel the fall semester of class...they will most likely postpone and delay everything.

crys20 said:

Wow, awesome, Crystal. Congrats!

BaylorGuy said:
I would wait...assuming that they went so far as to cancel the fall semester of class...they will most likely postpone and delay everything.

They may still carry out interviews, but in the houston area rather then in New Orleans itself. That's what I'm thinking. From my understanding, there is not much damage to the school itself so much as various other parts of town.

Samoa, so you think if I wait it out they'll eventually get into contact? Even though I just got the letter so I haven't confirmed the interview or anything...?

I am sounding like a ***** here I know with all the trouble all those poor people are going through. :)

okayplayer...thanks...i was shocked, shocked i say :)

crys20 said:
okayplayer...thanks...i was shocked, shocked i say :)

Try going to the emergency website that Tulane has set up, and email them with your questions. They may have some answers for you.

unfrozencaveman said:

Where is their campus? In downtown New Orleans? Their main hospital is there and is ruined. It has to be rebuilt.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt' accept anybody this year. I suppose they could but applicants would be studying elsewhere for a year. And to make the kind of preparations necessary to handle a medical school class somewhere else is a tremendous task.

Plus, you need to have a city that has people in it to have a medical school, don't you? There is a forced evacuation and I heard estimates that it will take 60 - 80 days to pump out the water.

thegenius said:
Where is their campus? In downtown New Orleans? Their main hospital is there and is ruined. It has to be rebuilt.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt' accept anybody this year. I suppose they could but applicants would be studying elsewhere for a year. And to make the kind of preparations necessary to handle a medical school class somewhere else is a tremendous task.

Plus, you need to have a city that has people in it to have a medical school, don't you? There is a forced evacuation and I heard estimates that it will take 60 - 80 days to pump out the water.

Care to make it interesting, as long as you dont read through the rest of the thread?

a) I don't think it's going to take that long to pump out the water. Maybe another week or two...then another couple of weeks to get basic services up and running...then another few weeks to make the hospitals functional on a small scale. The transition from small-scale to normal capacity is the part that depends on too many factors to predict with certainty right now. But it helps to have a timeline, even if it can't be 100% certain.

b) Plans are already being made both to recruit a class of students and to restore function to all area hospitals, as well as the medical school, rebuilding where necessary. They're saying three months, of which I'm a little skeptical. But we've got some amazing people in charge, and if anyone can get it done in 3 months, they can.

Also, pre-clinical teaching doesn't require many clinical resources, and in 3 months, sufficient resources can easily be in place to bring back the 1st and 2nd years. So there's no reason not to recruit another class of people, since they're all going to be first years. And by July, there should certainly be sufficient clinical resources to support the new 3rd year class, so there's no reason not to bring them back in January. The 4th years are off on their away rotations, and are largely done with core clinical work. So it's the 3rd years whose education will probably be most disrupted, and we'll be fine too in the end.

c) Don't underestimate people's love for the city. Lately you've been hearing news stories of people wanting to stay at the locations to which they've been evacuated. Well, there's a reason that's newsworthy. Some will undoubtedly leave New Orleans for good, but most of those with the resources to come back will be back as soon as they are allowed.

Samoa said:
a) I don't think it's going to take that long to pump out the water. Maybe another week or two...then another couple of weeks to get basic services up and running...then another few weeks to make the hospitals functional on a small scale. The transition from small-scale to normal capacity is the part that depends on too many factors to predict with certainty right now. But it helps to have a timeline, even if it can't be 100% certain.

Unfortunately I don't share your optimism:

"About 60 percent of the city is still under water, Corps of Engineers officials said today at a press conference. They estimate it will take 24 to 80 days to drain the city."
(http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=ajDuXYPGm9_Y&refer=top_world_news)

There is a forced evacuatino of the city, which means people can only come back when the Mayor (or whomever is calling the shots) says it's OK to come back. And when they return, there are no jobs, no supermarkets, no stations to get gasoline, it will be literally a ghost town.

People will return, but city building will take a really long time.

Note that this probably has little impact on when Tulane will start med school in again (because you can train elsewhere), but I just wanted to make sure that there was some realism with respect to how long it takes to rebuild the destruction we've witnessed.

thegenius said:

The medical campus is 20 blocks up from the mississippi river near I-10 if I remember correctly.

Which hospital is supposedly ruined?

"Recruiting the entering class of 2006 - In the midst of everything we are doing to reestablish our campuses in New Orleans, we are also actively recruiting around the country the class that will enter in 2006. Previously scheduled recruitment and information sessions around the country will continue as planned. In fact, we had a very successful undergraduate recruitment event in Houston last night with over 200 students and their parents in attendance. Please let others know that student recruitment for all our schools and colleges for next fall will continue."

Just thought I'd share a couple of things from the perspective of a Tulane undergrad also going through the applications process right now...

First of all, as hard as it is, please be patient. The city so many of us love and call home has just been hit by one of the worst natural disasters in this country's history. Tulane's administrators are doing everything they can to help out their current students first as they relocate their offices to Houston for the time being. Once they get that taken care of, I'm sure they'll take care of next year's class. I know the undergrad admissions office is still going through with as many of their recruitment activities as possible.

Tulane's med school and the Tulane Hospital are in downtown New Orleans and sustained quite a bit of flood damage from the broken levee. The main concern right now is getting rid of the water (hopefully by Oct. 2 as predicted). But even with the water gone, the threat of disease and hazardous waste makes it uncertain as to when the city will be safe to go back to. All of us are hoping and praying that we'll be able to go back to the uptown campus for spring semester, but for right now, we're just waiting to see.

Please don't let any of this turn you away from Tulane. It's an amazing school, and will be even better when it reopens. As soon as we're allowed back in New Orleans, us Tulane students will be doing everything we can to help rebuild the city. Good luck to all of you -- hang in there.