Tulane One Year Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got accepted. Anybody have any opinions on this program?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied but I haven't heard anything. How did u recieve ur acceptance acknowledgement????

I just got an email from them yesterday.

Congratulations, I am happy to inform you that you have been accepted to the One-Year Masters Program in the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology at Tulane University! I hope you will join us in the fall and I look forward to helping you achieve your career goals.

You will soon be receiving, or have already received an official acceptance letter from The School of Science and Engineering indicating a deadline date to accept our offer, which will be July 9th. However, due to the large number of applications that we have received, I would appreciate it very much if you email me back as soon as possible to hold your spot for this coming fall.

In early August, I will email you information regarding class orientation and course registration, and remind you of some other important items, such as having your immunization records up to date before enrollment. But some useful information presently will be Financial Aid, (504)865-5723, and Housing, (504)865-5724. If you are thinking about living off-campus you can contact our local realtor Latter and Blum or go to www.nola.com and they will have rentals listed. If you are not sure about an area, you can email or call me and I will tell you what I think of the area, before you commit to a lease or agreement.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, as well as working with you this coming year!

Best,

Garic Grisbaum, MD
Professor of Practice
Director of Pre-Medical Ed. and One-Year Masters Program
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
School of Science and Engineering
Tulane University
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both that one and the pharmacology. Got into the pharm program, but haven t heard word from the Cell Mol bio program. Oh well Im dead intent on the pharm anyways.

glad to hear more Tulane threads on SDN

I will be there in the CMB MS :thumbup:

In Metairie

In Metairie

I have no clue what that means. I'm just wondering where is a good place to live as I'm from Maryland.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the relative workload/difficulty of the program?

Its a little suburb outside of new orleans about 15-20 minutes from the school. Basically you want to stay out of New Orleans East as its ghetto and unsafe. Uptown is a nice area to be and is closer to the school. Metairie is more residential and suburban but a little further away. Kenner is probably the safest but also the furthest from the city.

Back on topic, anyone know anything about the schedule of classes?

I was talking to Marnie about it and its very informal in that you pick and choose based on what your goals are. She told me that I could tailor my classes to a certain degree towards dentistry as opposed to someone shooting for med school (not that they are that much different). When you go to orientation you will meet with an adviser and work out your class schedule based on areas where you want to improve (make up for bad grades in undergrad) or learn more (field applicable).

BTW did you accept the spot?

That sounds awesome. I really like the idea of being able to choose what classes you want to take rather than having a set curriculum. I'm actually going down to visit the school next week and talk with their director. I also applied to the Georgetown SMP and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Seeing as I'm from Maryland, Georgetown might be a better choice for me, but we'll see what happens.

i just received an email saying that i was on a waitlist and would hear back from them at the end of July. Any one know any details regarding this waitlist? thanx

i just received an email saying that i was on a waitlist and would hear back from them at the end of July. Any one know any details regarding this waitlist? thanx

I actually went down to Tulane yesterday and spoke with the director about the program. He was really cool.

Anyways, to answer your question, they sent out emails to everyone that applied thus far asking if they were still interested in the program. They are waiting to hear back from students that they offered an acceptance to and seeing if they accept it, if not, then they are going to offer to the people on the waitlist. The class size is about 25-30 students.

so i'm assuming you're planning on going there this fall. What were your impressions of the school? the program? thanx for the info.

so i'm assuming you're planning on going there this fall. What were your impressions of the school? the program? thanx for the info.

I'm still deciding whether I want to attend or not. I thought the school was nice, even though when I went it was super hot and torrential downfall. The director of the program was really cool. He said that he is very close with his students (as the program only admits 25-30 students per year). He works closely with them to help them get into whatever professional school they want to get into. For pre-medical students, they start to do rotations in the hospital every week. Just basic information gathering so that when we do get into the hospital in med school, we'll be comfortable with talking to patients etc... Also, you have to do two presentations each semester on a topic of your choice. Twenty minute long power point. He said as doctors, you'll be presenting all your life, so he wants you to get comfortable with that. He also leads like a pass/fail class where doctors and med students come in to talk about their experiences and what not and students can ask them questions. Lastly, as far as your classes, you and him will sit down and go over which classes would be beneficial for you the most. They are graduate school classes, not medical school classes. All in all, I have a good vibe about the school, I think it's a great program. The only thing is I live in Maryland and I'm a bit apprehensive about traveling so far to a place I don't know. The campus is great, surrounding area I'm not sure about. Didn't really get a chance to see the sites.

Anyone looking for housing?

bump

is there anyone on the boards who is in this program now? I have some questions about it and I'd love to talk to someone (a student) in the program now.

Thanks!

ps you can just private message me if that easier

For those of you who got into Tulane, what was your GPA and MCAT? I am just curious because I am going to apply, but would like to know my chances. Thanks guys.
Lizzy