Tulane opinions?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Carp, May 14, 2000.

1. Carp

Carp Member
    10+ Year Member

I am really struggling over whether or not to choose Tulane over my state school acceptance (UT-San Antonio). I would like any constructive opinions about Tulane (or UT-SA for that matter) by current students or people who turned it down/acctepted (ie. Is it worth the $??). Please be as detailed and specific as possible. I really need some first-hand input!!

THANKS!! and good luck all.

Carp

2. Bren

Bren Member
    10+ Year Member

May 15th is here (and almost gone...) Which school did you choose Carp? I wish I had some advice for you, that is a very tough decision. I am attending Tulane, but didn't get into my state school. The tuition is insane, but I think I'll be very happy there. Let us know what you did.

3. Carp

Carp Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't decided yet, but have to within the week. My state school is in Texas which has separate system from AMCAS and not subject to the May 15th deadline. I'm pretty sure, that is. I guess i'll find out soon. Did you turn down other schools for TU? If so, why? What did you like about it?

Carp

4. Bren

Bren Member
    10+ Year Member

Here's the list I made:

Postitives:
    1. A happy, cooperative student body/staff. I came from a competitive undergrad and this is important.

2. Tulane is a great clinical experience: Charity, and so on. I want to soak in as much as possible before residency.

3. Their match list is pretty respectable. I'm thinking derm or ortho or OB/GYN, (yeah, I have some narrowing to do.) so this is important.

4. I've lived in the same city nearly my entire life, and New Orleans is going to be quite the experience I would not find elsewhere.

Negatives:
    1. Tuition. But, I'll pay it back income sensitive while in residency and be making six figures after. But, none the less, your state school would seem free in comparison.

2. New Orleans, yeah, I know I listed this as a positive, too. But, I have to move 2,700 miles to a humid place where I don't know a soul. You're a lot closer, so this probably isn't as much of an issue.

3. I'll list the tuition twice.

Good luck in making your decision. If money wasn't a factor, would you still have a dilemna?

5. dthankins

dthankins Member
    10+ Year Member

6. Carp

Carp Member
    10+ Year Member

why such an easy choice? I need details please. Go to UT-SW? What have you heard about UT-SA and TU?

7. G-money

G-money New Member

The question is, do you want to do your residency in Texas? If you do, then by all means go to UT (unless the field you chose is ultra competitive). If you have high aspirations (i.e. residency at Harvard) then the high tuition at Tulane will pay off. Bottom line, the Tulane name is nationally known, but you have to pay for it. Also, FYI, N.O. is a FUN city!! You will be studying hard, you need to play hard. Tulane is laid back, really.