Tulane Pharm SMP vs Midwestern CCOM MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akwizeguy

Jedi Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both Tulane Master Pharmacology SMP and Midwestern's Master Biomedical Sciences CCOM. Which one would you guys go with. Im from houston, and going to NOLA wouldnt be as far from home, (family, friends, g/f). Wouldnt mind Chicago at all either, for the sheer fact havent lived outside texas.

As far as program strengths they seem neck to neck. Midwestern is based on the quarter system rather than the semester system, which would mean I could get grades out faster to med schools applying to. And also Midwestern I think has a linkage to CCOM if Im not mistaken, which means the AACOMAS would benefit me more for the reason of retakes taken into account versus the AMCAS. Tulane has the name recognition and what not.

Honestly Im on the fence on this decision. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

Well on the Tulane pharm website, it states a 80% success rate.
I couldnt find stats for the downers grove location, but for the arizona campus, I ripped this from their site:
"-In the last two years, 87% of matriculants were accepted into professional programs (eg, Ph.D., medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, or other health care programs)
-95% of matriculants are either in professional programs or working in the bioscience industry"
I would imagine the downers grove is comparable.

I've been looking at the curriculums for both programs. The Midwestern MBS seems more varied, (Histology, Oncology, Immunology, Pharmacology, Biochem etc.) While the Tulane program has a more specific curriculum, (Medical Pharmacology, Principles of Pharmacology I,Pharmacological Research etc.)
Which one looks better to admissions committees?