1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Tulane SMP Pharmacology

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by akwizeguy, May 6, 2008.

1. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Got accepted and will be attending. Whos joining me?
    edit: Im going to post some student testimonials of the program

heres a link to last years Tulane Pharm thread:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407213&highlight=tulane+pharmacology

heres a link to the 2006 thread for the Pharmacology program:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=280062&highlight=tulane+pharmacology

heres the official school website link for the program
    http://www.pharmacology.tulane.edu/masters/index.html

If you guys have any questions that I can help to answer AIM me: akwizeguy
    I'll be visiting the campus june 20, ill try to take some pictures of the place, and the Deming pavilion (on campus housing)

#1 akwizeguy, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HerrTex

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just got an offer. I'm trying to decide which program to due. The pharmacology program looks great but the tuition is so much and another program is much cheaper. I hate making decisions. ha

4. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Which other program are you considering?

5. HerrTex

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    TTUHSC Molecular pathology master's, tuition would be almost a 1/4 the cost

6. asakkings

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    is this the program where you have to be waitlisted at a med school in order to get an acceptance?

7. HerrTex

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No that is Tulane's anatomy certificate program

8. senseigmg

senseigmg Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just got in today too. Still waiting to hear from a few others though.

9. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone else going to this program? I got the notice a couple weeks ago for a studio apt reserved in deming pavillion. Curious to see if anyone else on this board is joining.

10. dukegirl

Pre-Medical
    hey I may also be going to the pharm program next year...just trying to decide between a few places. I am a little worried about not being able to take biochem though, as some florida schools require it

11. cheezer

cheezer Guest

people who got into Tulane Pharm, can you please post stats? thanks.

12. dukegirl

Pre-Medical
    does anyone know anything about the tulane genetics program?

13. H2Obruin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm still waiting to hear anything from Tulane....but just for those of you who are deciding, my boss's daughter did the program and did really well. She was getting such high scores on her tests that she immediately got offered an acceptance to the med school! She still had to finish the program, but apparently the program prepares you really well for your M1 year and she did great. She is now doing her residency at Harvard!! She's kind of my role model :)

So you'll have to kick ass, but if you think you can, then this program seems like a great one to get you in the door.

14. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah I looked into that program, I think the weakness to the Tulane genetics program is that you wont take any classes with the medical school. I mean my purpose of this program is solely for future hopes of medical school. I think from just looking at curriculum of all the programs offered by Tulane, the Tulane ACP and tulane Pharm programs seemed the best in regards to getting you into med school.

15. dukegirl

Pre-Medical
    I agree with you akwizeguy- i think having that direct comparison to med students is helpful...what's different about the pharm program from other smp though, is that it's a second yr class

16. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    to those of you accepted, I called around Tulane, cus I wasnt in their system yet and I was trying to fax in my immunizations.

Apparently well be entered into the system at the end of june, and we will recieve our pin numbers to register on orientation.

Debbie Sanders, the program secretary is really nice and easy to talk to btw.

17. gopens67

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    guys, I'm kind of panicking right now. I got into Tulane's Neuroscience Masters program, but I'm not sure if it is equivalent to the other programs in terms of medical school admissions. When I first applied, it listed all these medical school classes as part of the curriculum, but recently it seems they removed some of them...Is it still possible to apply to the Pharm, or ACP programs?

18. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think the deadline has passed, but if I remember right when I was looking at the ACP program, they have something like a late admission or something, for students who havent gotten into their med schools i think. You will definately want to double check. I may have the ACP materials in my email, so PM me with your email and Ill see if I still have them.

update: Just got back from New Orleans, unfortunately didnt get into town before 5pm on friday, so I couldnt tour Deming like I wanted to. I checked it out from the outside and all, seems really ghetto. I guess theres a busstop outside the building, and theres just a ton of people just loitering or chilling there. Wasnt impressed by that at all. Good thing they have a skywalk to the medical school building across the street from deming.

But New Orleans as a city is amazing. I didnt venture our far from downtown area, only to the Tulane main campus. The city seems to be coming back well, and had lots of fun going to bourbon street and Harrahs. More or less, the effects of Katrina in the Downtown area are marginal (minus the abandoned hospitals in the Medical Center). Lots of people there and all very charming. hand grenades are just great.

19. lostkat

lostkat MS 1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am formally withdrawing my acceptance as I was just accepted into Penn State College of Medicine!!! I will be spending my Mardi Gras with cows and chocolate!! Hope someone waiting gets my spot! Best of luck in pharm ...I think this is an awesome program!!

20. vanillabean

vanillabean New Member

I received a rejection in early june and today I received an email welcoming me to the program and to expect a packet in the mail. :confused:

I called the director of the program but I think due to the time zone diff (i'm in CA) there was no one in the office. I hope my rejection was a mistake but I'm really scared to hear that the email was a mistake. :scared:

21. mdmaybe1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just withdrew my spot today, so hopefully someone on this board will get it!

22. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    congrats lostkat,

seems like this program is really inactive on SDN, besides me I dont have a clue as to anyone else thats positive on going.

23. H2Obruin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just got an acceptance today (yay!)....stats 3.25 GPA, 2.9 BCPM, 30Q.

I always hate looking at my GPA on paper :(

Anyone else for sure going to Tulane??

24. sdvb469

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a 2 bed/2 bath at Deming Pavillion. I have heard from 2 of my friends who did the program, that although Deming looks ghetto from the outside, the inside is pretty much like a college dorm on any campus (white walls, small rooms, laundry rooms, small gym, etc) But, it is extremely convenient for classes because you can use the SkyWalk and the Downtown area is pretty safe, just have to be careful at night like any other city. Both of my friends who did the program highly recommended it and both got into medical school they same year they did the program. So, it is a great program!

25. zdan629

Pre-Medical
    Hey everybody,

I will be doing the Tulane Pharm SMP this upcoming year unless I get off a waitlist. I have family that has lived in New Orleans most of my life so I know NO pretty well. When is everybody arriving to start the program? I look forward to meeting all of you guys.

Zach

26. akwizeguy

akwizeguy Jedi Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im driving in on Fri Aug 1st, When my Deming lease starts. Looking forward to meet you as well.

27. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    T1 here, looking for a roommate.

Me and another Tulane T1 are looking for a third roommate for a 3 bedroom 2 bath at the Saulet (link below). This is a really nice complex (gym, pool, nice conference room for studying, great security, parking included, less than a year old), and a classy apartment. I can provide all the common area furniture. This is in the Garden district, a very short walk to St Charles and a very short drive to the medical school. Going to cost around $625/month per person.

Link: http://www.saulet.com/about.html

28. dukegirl

Pre-Medical
    Hey perrotfish,
    I'm also living at the saulet next year because my sister already has a place there. I agree it's a nice and there really aren't too many options for apartment complexes in the area. The facilities are great there (the gym is huge for an apartment) and there a few .restaurants in walking distance. Now i just have to get parking at the school .

29. zdan629

Pre-Medical
    When is everybody getting into New Orleans? I have an apartment just off of St. Charles on Upperline street. Anybody else living uptown?

30. H2Obruin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone feel like starting a facebook group?

And why is hardly anyone doing this program active on SDN???

31. H2Obruin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  32. sehnsucht77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i am curious about this program and thinking about applying to it for a start in 2010. i read back on some old posts and no one mentioned the MCAT requirements for the Pharm SMP students to get into Tulane, post program. I am interested in attending the program so I need to get my ducks lined up well before sending my application materials in for the 2010 season.