Tulane SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitra101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to make the thread and see who plans to/wants to/is thinking about heading to New Orleans next year! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Kitra101 said:
Just wanted to make the thread and see who plans to/wants to/is thinking about heading to New Orleans next year! :)

i'm down.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm re-sending my application tomorrow!

I'd love to! Just got MCAT scores back, though, so no word so far. ..

according to my dad, we're all insane. there'll be no patients to treat.

i'm resubmitting tomorrow. so no LORs right?
-mota

DaMota said:

-mota

I would really be interested in resending my app. Can someone please please post the link to the new address and the secondary again?! Thanks very much!! :)

put me down in the "wants to" category.

MoosePilot said:
Interesting link. My check was dated 12 August. It was deposited on the 18th. It really doesn't matter, but I hate things that can be interpreted two ways. If I still wanted to go there, I'd be wondering whether to send or not.

Hmm...MoosePilot...I think you want to go still, otherwise why would you still be checking the threads and debating NO or not?

CoffeeCat said:
Hmm...MoosePilot...I think you want to go still, otherwise why would you still be checking the threads and debating NO or not?

I actually tried not to post in this thread, because I didn't want to be a NO downer, like I was in the other one. But questions like this always make me wonder what the other person was thinking. Were they thinking post mark (which they can't know anymore, because the envelope is probably drying on some curbside), processed date, check cashed date, or what?

Nope, I definitely won't go to Tulane. I might still go to Mardi Gras someday, but probably not in the next four years. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
I actually tried not to post in this thread, because I didn't want to be a NO downer, like I was in the other one. But questions like this always make me wonder what the other person was thinking. Were they thinking post mark (which they can't know anymore, because the envelope is probably drying on some curbside), processed date, check cashed date, or what?

Nope, I definitely won't go to Tulane. I might still go to Mardi Gras someday, but probably not in the next four years. :laugh:

Thanks yall and damota for the link!!! :) !

MoosePilot said:

It's totally fair to have doubts about New Orleans, how could a person not? Anyway, I started a poll - it will be interesting to see how SDNers feel in general.

does anybody have any contact info for Tulane? as in application status, receipt of secondary etc...
-mota

I was fortunate enough to get accepted through Tulane's early acceptance program since I'm a Tulane undergrad. So I've known about my acceptance for a couple years now, but I'm applying to other schools just to keep my options open. Still, getting the letter from Tulane in the mail yesterday (my first official acceptance - a thin envelope at that) was still a pretty sweet moment. I've been reading it over and over again, just enjoying the feeling, when suddenly, as I looked over it this morning for like the tenth time, I realized that my letter was addressed "Dear MR. X". I'm a girl. Haha. Now I don't really feel like reading the letter over and over again anymore :p

On a more serious note, I've always been pretty unsure about wanting to stay in New Orleans for another four years. Nothing against the city or Tulane - I love them both. I just want to live somewhere else for a while. But after evacuating for Katrina, I've come to realize how much I miss New Orleans, and I almost feel like I owe it to the city and my school to come back and help with this whole rebuilding process.

To those of you who still want to go to Tulane, or want to go there even more, that's awesome. Keep up the enthusiasm - it's people like you that we need in there rebuilding the city. Good luck everyone!

I saw CNN broadcasting from Bourbon Street last night. While they said that there were a lot of relief effort people there, it still looked alive and well. This is way too early in my opinion to be alive and well and partying on Bourbon. However, that said, it goes to show that you can't keep a good city down. I am glad to have seen something positive about NO being shown on a media station...like a breath of fresh air. It was almost as if someone asked them to just report what was going on, do their job and not overdo it for the sake of ratings. I doubt it though as I have come to believe that the vast majority of media personnel are blood sucking leeches who only care about their station and money, but maybe there actually is at least one good media person out there.

so, if you sent things in before august 15th, but never got a complete notice...? what then? i want to resend my application, but i don't want them to cancel two checks. i emailed them about this and they haven't gotten back to me.

oh, and what address should we send it to?

anyone have the phone number for the tulane office of admissions so we can ask questions about LORs, etc.? I'm having trouble contacting them.

thanks!

i just resent my secondary, check, and amcas in today so hopefully it will get there soon. i think tulane right now more than ever will be able to offer experiences that can't be gained anywhere else. of course it won't be easy i'm sure, but in the end i believe it will be worth it.

here's to hoping for an interview! good luck to all applying. ;)

(in terms of LORs, i think i read somewhere on this board that they had asked people to either bring with them or have sent prior to their interview once they've been invited.)

DaMota said:

-mota

no. i called them. you hafta resend everything plus a copy of your cashed check or a new check.

I'm interviewing for Tulane on Friday, I'm hoping to find out more about their future plans for the school. Obviously its natural to have doubts, but I think if I was to get in, I would attend.

DaMota said:
-mota

There are already patients to treat. Our residents are there doing just that. The only reason we're not there is because a) we need a building, and ours needs restoring, and b) the residency programs have to be running close to 100% before you can pile on a third year clerkship with any reasonable expectation that the residents will spend time teaching, rather than scutting, their students.

All of these things are well under way toward restoration. The school has an ambitious timeline to return, I grant you. But even if we miss it by 6 months, we will still be back in time for your class to start in August, in New Orleans, with no deficit in the education you are provided.

I posted in the wall of fame thread also but I thought I would add it here as well. I was just accepted to the class of 2010! I think the oppurtunities in NO will be amazing and I loved all the students at the school, I got a great vibe from everyone. Let me know if anyone has any questions or if anyone else is accepted!

Joonie said:
no. i called them. you hafta resend everything plus a copy of your cashed check or a new check.

um, so send the LORs or not? sorry but you weren't too clear about that one.
-mota

DaMota said:
um, so send the LORs or not? sorry but you weren't too clear about that one.
-mota

if they're on virtualevals, then no;
otherwise, yes...

I interviewed at Tulane recently, and would attend without hesitation (its actually my top choice!)

For those of you that have been accepted, how long was your turnaround time for the acceptance letter? I only interviewed a few days ago, but I was curious if anyone knew when the committee meets...

duplicate post, for some reason...

I interviewed on October 11th and the letter I recieved was dated October 15th so thats pretty quick. I imagine you would hear fairly quickly but thats a guess. If they are your first choice you might want to let them know becuase they really seemed to want students that are excited about Tulane and New Orleans. Best of luck!

PegasisGMS said:
I interviewed on October 11th and the letter I recieved was dated October 15th so thats pretty quick. I imagine you would hear fairly quickly but thats a guess. If they are your first choice you might want to let them know becuase they really seemed to want students that are excited about Tulane and New Orleans. Best of luck!

thanks, i definitely did let them know...

here's hoping!

Kazazzle12 said:
I've been reading it over and over again, just enjoying the feeling, when suddenly, as I looked over it this morning for like the tenth time, I realized that my letter was addressed "Dear Mr. Rao". I'm a girl. Haha. Now I don't really feel like reading the letter over and over again anymore :p

HAHAHHA :laugh:

Bump and Congrats to Goose

For those of you who have interviewed for Tulane at Baylor, how does this work? I mean, they can't give you a tour of the school and hospitals, right??? So do you go to New Orleans after January to tour the campus then? Or are you just going to show up in Aug. and see it for the first time?

Whats the deal with the $500 non-refundable deposit? Do you have to fork over the cash even though you're still shopping?

TheMightyAngus said:
Whats the deal with the $500 non-refundable deposit? Do you have to fork over the cash even though you're still shopping?

Really $500? Damn thats alot especially if it nonrefundable. How long does one have to reply?

ti89 said:
Really $500? Damn thats alot especially if it nonrefundable. How long does one have to reply?

Relax, don't have to pay until May 15th

Hi! Wanted to join the club! I got my acceptance for the class of 2010 and am superbly excited to go home, tho everyone except my husband thinks we are insane to want to go back after everything we've been thru this year, but we've just decided that we won't put so much money into our personal belongings/apartment this time so if we have to run and lose it again we won't lose as much stuff, which has really been the only issue. I'm still keeping myself open to a few of the more prestigioius schools that I haven't heard back from yet, mostly because want some financial aid packages to choose from come may, but I am pretty sure I will be a Tulanian come fall.

Joining the club....I got my acceptance letter last week (interviewed 10/21) and Tulane is definitely my top choice right now. My old roommate is a 2nd year there now, and I visited last year before Katrina. Everyone from the school is so friendly, it would definitely be somewhere I would want to spend the next 4 years. Congrats to everyone else who's in, and good luck to those who are still applying/interviewing! :luck:

they accept a LOT of people on SDN it seems. i'll bring up my post count at my interview.
-mota

edit: i really wish i could interview sooner. i get so anxious with this being my first interview yet so far away. sigh.

actually the huge numbner of acceptances have been because tulane started the real interviewing late. as in mid october...... so they're behind...

plus, i heard they want to fill up the class early..

DaMota said:
they accept a LOT of people on SDN it seems. i'll bring up my post count at my interview.
-mota

edit: i really wish i could interview sooner. i get so anxious with this being my first interview yet so far away. sigh.

I'd call and try to set something up sooner if you're really interested in Tulane. Since acceptances are rolling in, many people are probably withdrawing. Adcoms are pretty good about this if you ask nicely.

TheMightyAngus said:
I'd call and try to set something up sooner if you're really interested in Tulane. Since acceptances are rolling in, many people are probably withdrawing. Adcoms are pretty good about this if you ask nicely.

the thing is they only had days right in the middle of final season to offer me. so i took the first one back from winter break. its all good. i get to actually check out new orleans and the actual campus this way. maybe they'll consider that too.
-mota

DaMota said:
the thing is they only had days right in the middle of final season to offer me. so i took the first one back from winter break. its all good. i get to actually check out new orleans and the actual campus this way. maybe they'll consider that too.
-mota

Gotcha. Forgot about winter break. Yeah, it would probably be better to interview down in NO to check out the campus, save you a trip in the spring for second-look weekend.

Count me in on this...still wondering whether i want to make the trek to NO. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do with NO and that situation. Congrats all!!