Tulane SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump

just wanted people to know about the class of 2010 on the Tulane student forum www.somforum.com

Members don't see this ad.

drmota said:
awesome. that was great. thank you
-mota

edit: especially the "clinical mission", that should answer a lot of questions for people
Just dropping in from the Colorado thread to say "hi" to mota. I miss you.

gd

Where is everybody? New Orleans already? I am going down after easter, anybody going to be down there then?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll be in NOLA the weekend of april 28-30th. i have commitment on saturday afternoon and leave early afternoon on sunday, but i'd be down for going out on Saturday night.

Trux said:
i'll be in NOLA the weekend of april 28-30th. i have commitment on saturday afternoon and leave early afternoon on sunday, but i'd be down for going out on Saturday night.

Yeah I wanted to go down for the jazz fest too, but it didn't work with my vacation time. There are some awesome acts playing at that, should be really something.

So here's my dilemma, I don't know whether I should live in Deming or get an apartment somewhere in the uptown area. Are there any girls in this forum looking for a roomie and, if so, when are you planning on starting to look for a place in New Orleans?
Thanks. :p

anyone heard from deming?
-mota

drmota said:
anyone heard from deming?
-mota

I called to make sure they got my stuff, 504-988-6275. Things are a little layed back in the south.

KAI1927 said:
I called to make sure they got my stuff, 504-988-6275. Things are a little layed back in the south.

I just checked my bank account, they cashed my check, thats probally the best way to know if they got your application.

quick question: so the application for starting this summer with the MPH reqs is april 15th. but what if we want to do the MPH but not start this summer (i.e. start 2nd semester 1st year). do we still have to apply now? or can we wait?
-mota

edit: nevermind, i just answered my own question. you can read about it here:
http://www.sph.tulane.edu/mdmph/arequirements.htm

basically, you have to apply by april 15th if you want to start this summer and by October 15th if you want to start later.

drmota said:
quick question: so the application for starting this summer with the MPH reqs is april 15th. but what if we want to do the MPH but not start this summer (i.e. start 2nd semester 1st year). do we still have to apply now? or can we wait?
-mota

edit: nevermind, i just answered my own question. you can read about it here:
http://www.sph.tulane.edu/mdmph/arequirements.htm

basically, you have to apply by april 15th if you want to start this summer and by October 15th if you want to start later.
Mota-thanks for stopping by the CO thread and no fear...we will meet someday. Hopefully at some medical conference in Hawaii.

gdbaby said:
Mota-thanks for stopping by the CO thread and no fear...we will meet someday. Hopefully at some medical conference in Hawaii.

or catalina?
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone wanna hang out, maybe even live together next yr if we feel like it's a good idea (in an apt, not deming)?

I'll be in NY for the first 3 weeks in May just chillin and visiting friends. PM me if you want to meet up sometime then.

Has anyone who sent thier deposit into Deming heard anything yet? I sent it awhile ago, but havent had my check cased or anything. Should I call to make sure it got there?

ColbyGuy said:
Has anyone who sent thier deposit into Deming heard anything yet? I sent it awhile ago, but havent had my check cased or anything. Should I call to make sure it got there?

i'm sending mine certified mail so i know that they got it. i would give susanna a call if you're worried. she's been in a pretty good mood these days
-mota

drmota said:
i'm sending mine certified mail so i know that they got it. i would give susanna a call if you're worried. she's been in a pretty good mood these days
-mota

For deming stuff, call Katina 504-988-6275, she is very nice and helpful. i was just down there this week and was very impressed with the rooms. They are very clean and have all the basic for living.

Hello all. I have a bedroom available in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house. It is 2 stories and located one block off St. Charles between Robert and Upperline. The house is fully furnished, with the exception of the available bedroom (although a queen bed and a small desk is available if wanted). It has got a washer and dryer, wireless internet, and a pretty big kitchen. I am soon to be a T2, and am looking to find a female roommate to share the house with. Oh, and there is another female living there, she will be a teacher. And there will be a cat. Who is very cute. If interested, pm me or email [email protected]. I will be in NO the first week of May to show the place if interested. The place is also available for the summer months. Hope to spark some interest,
Joshua

Hello future Tulanians,

I'm a T4, and my 1 br/1ba is going to be available as of June 1. Right on Audubon Park off Magazine in a small, quiet apartment building. I can leave my furniture in there too if you want. PM me if interested.

Oh yeah, you're making a great call sticking with Tulane.

Roll Wave.

Anybody going down this june to start their MPH classes? I am, and I was wondering if anybody else from 2010 was going early.

KAI1927 said:
Anybody going down this june to start their MPH classes? I am, and I was wondering if anybody else from 2010 was going early.

Dont worry man, they'll be plenty of people down here. The med school seems to have more people at it by the day. Its just too bad that if you're the kind of guy that likes to study late, the coffee shops and librarys arent open.

Looking foreward to a good year

If anyone is in NOLA right now and is interested in going to Jimmy Buffet for the second week of jazzfest, a few of my pharm program/ class od 2010 friends and I are going (its the second saturday of jazzfest). None of us are huge jimmy buffet fans or anything, but chilling and drinking our weight in MGD is going to be the perfect break to taking a final in Med Pharm. See you all there,

Hey everyone, I have been reading the posts for a while and just decided to join in. I went to Tulane for undergrad and am soooo excited to be going back this summer. New Orleans is awesome, and Tulane is the best!!!!
I was wondering if anyone else is planning on taking histology this summer. My roommate and I both are but just wanted to see if there was anyone else....

VizziniTU said:
Hey everyone, I have been reading the posts for a while and just decided to join in. I went to Tulane for undergrad and am soooo excited to be going back this summer. New Orleans is awesome, and Tulane is the best!!!!
I was wondering if anyone else is planning on taking histology this summer. My roommate and I both are but just wanted to see if there was anyone else....
I am not taking any med courses this summer, but I am going down in june for the summer MPH courses. I am from New York so I will definately need people who know their way around down there.

KAI1927 said:
I am not taking any med courses this summer, but I am going down in june for the summer MPH courses. I am from New York so I will definately need people who know their way around down there.

yeah definitely, always happy to show others around!!!! where are you living?

I'll be there in June, but to take Anatomy.

How are you all taking classes before classes start. I am just asking cause I only have one more class to take for my masters, and if I am going to be here anyway, why not, right?

seriously, getting a head start, how cool is that?

Cofmatic said:
How are you all taking classes before classes start. I am just asking cause I only have one more class to take for my masters, and if I am going to be here anyway, why not, right?

seriously, getting a head start, how cool is that?

Tulane offers histology and anatomy over the summer. I emailed Dr. Beckman and she said that anatomy was "for remedial students only" which may not have been the case. If you go online to the department sites for histo or anatomy and click on courses it will show you summer classes. Definitely a good idea to get ahead, or to ease myself back in after taking a year off....

VizziniTU said:
yeah definitely, always happy to show others around!!!! where are you living?

I am living in Deming. I will need some help getting to know where to go for groceries, misc. electronics, everday stuff etc. It would be great to have someone familar with the place to give some pointers.

KAI1927 said:
I am living in Deming. I will need some help getting to know where to go for groceries, misc. electronics, everday stuff etc. It would be great to have someone familar with the place to give some pointers.

I definitely know my way around, however things have changed a good deal. I went down for mardi gras and with the city sort of running at half speed things are tough. Getting simple things like groceries, or gas, can be tough and take a long time. I know that things are getting better by the day so hopefully when we get down there the city will be further along.

drmota said:
anyone else sick of conversations like this:

random person: "so where are you gonna go to med school"
me: "probably tulane, down in n'orleans"
random person: "oh..(pause)...there's still a school down there"
me: "ya, its right across the street from the superdome, pretty cool eh?"
random person: [look of horror and confusion]
me: "you can go f*ck yourself, you know? here's a key to the bathroom"

-mota

OK mota- you got me in. Here in Boston, people come close to seizure when I mention I am heading to NO for med school, which I am def doing in July. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

96sable said:
OK mota- you got me in. Here in Boston, people come close to seizure when I mention I am heading to NO for med school, which I am def doing in July. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Every time I say tulane or New Orleans people give you this confused look and then they all say "Is anything still left down there?" i want to say "No I'm bringing a raft and a shotgun and hoping for the best"

KAI1927 said:
Every time I say tulane or New Orleans people give you this confused look and then they all say "Is anything still left down there?" i want to say "No I'm bringing a raft and a shotgun and hoping for the best"

I've got a canoe but the shotgun might be helpful!

It gets better when you are here. When I was in Chicago for last semester, we were "the tulane kids" and everyone waqs all emapthetic because of what happened. It seemed like for a while I was telling the same story of what was going on. When you get out here, its not that big a deal, cause everyone is going through the same thing.

I guess a good way to put it is the old saying "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." Out here, everyone is the one-eyed king, so its not that big a novel thing.

Hope to see you all when you get out here. I'll be moving out of Deming in mid-july, so I hope to see you guys around.

VizziniTU said:

Hey Guys,
I am also going to be taking Histo this summer. I thought I'd get it out of the way since I will be able to focus mainly on Anatomy come August. And, since I am going to be in NOLA in mid-May, I figured 'why not'?! Hopefully it won't be too bad to squeeze all the material in for those roughly five weeks. I also received in the mail the schedule of the lec/lab for that class. I look forward to seeing you guys in June for class. :p

On a separate note, I have been trying to post on SDN and on the SOMFORUM about needing to find a roommate for August. Although, I think I'd prefer to be stable and settled in an apartment by July 1st. Any female interested in looking for a roomie/place and settling around that time...PM on reply to this post. Unfortunately, the med school has not provided us with any housing options besides Deming, where we could log online and match up with fellow classmates looking for roommates or a place.
Anyways, take care and see you guys soon.
Thanks.

I dropped by the Fin Aid office today and discovered that admissions never sent my file to their system. They're scrambling to finish the aid packages before Monday, but never looked at mine.

Apparently a group of us were accepted, but never put in the financial aid system. When they recieved our FASFA, addendums, etc, they just left them in folders or a "holding pattern" on the computer. I applied for aid months ago, but because of this my application won't be screened until after I start summer classes! If you haven't recieved your aid packages I would call them ASAP to make sure you're not as lucky as me. I only discovered this because I dropped by to say hello... they had no idea.

PhillyTech said:
I dropped by the Fin Aid office today and discovered that admissions never sent my file to their system. They're scrambling to finish the aid packages before Monday, but never looked at mine.

Apparently a group of us were accepted, but never put in the financial aid system. When they recieved our FASFA, addendums, etc, they just left them in folders or a "holding pattern" on the computer. I applied for aid months ago, but because of this my application won't be screened until after I start summer classes! If you haven't recieved your aid packages I would call them ASAP to make sure you're not as lucky as me. I only discovered this because I dropped by to say hello... they had no idea.

Jesus, that sucks. Did they say when the aid pacakages were supposed to go out for people who were in the system?

KAI1927 said:
Jesus, that sucks. Did they say when the aid pacakages were supposed to go out for people who were in the system?

The packages were supposed to be emailed Fri so that we'd have them before the 15th. That was their goal, but they were still working on a majority of them when I was told this Fri afternoon. I'm guessing they didn't get everything done and will email the packages early next week.

Did anyone get an email on Friday??

hey y'all!
I just got back to NOLA and was wondering who else is here already. If you are, and want to go out, let me know!!!

VizziniTU said:
hey y'all!
I just got back to NOLA and was wondering who else is here already. If you are, and want to go out, let me know!!!

I think a few of us are here. A friend of mine and I are finishing up our masters degrees and are here now. You should come to The Fly this thursday afternoon. We are going to be out there after our exams this week hangin out and playing washers.

McMD said:
I'm getting a steth around May/June. Scrubs I'll buy in August when I get there.

Anon, are you on the face book?

Hey you guys! I'm Carleetha and I'm so excited to be joining you in the fall! I'm in MD/MPH dual degree student so I'll be taking next year off to get the MPH out of the way. Anyway, Tulane's Student National Medical Association will be selling scrubs to first-years. You guys will get info about that later this summer. (You aren't obligated to buy these of course, but the prices are really good.) Also, Welch Allyn (a stethoscope company) will have stethoscopes available for purchase a week or so after school starts. (Ours was scheduled for the Monday after Katrina.) :-( Anyway, if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

hey has anyone gotten the fin aid package yet???

it was supposed to be mailed out on may 15...

theunderdog said:
hey has anyone gotten the fin aid package yet???

it was supposed to be mailed out on may 15...

I still haven't heard anything....are they snail mailing or emailing it?

ucsdmd2b said:
I still haven't heard anything....are they snail mailing or emailing it?
I called finanacial aid yesterday... they said some of the packages were emailed out already, but only one person is doing them and he went to a conference for a week or something. They should finish sending the rest next week.

I'm moving to NO tomorrow, so if anyone is there already and wants to meet up, PM me. :)

rebectar said:
I called finanacial aid yesterday... they said some of the packages were emailed out already, but only one person is doing them and he went to a conference for a week or something. They should finish sending the rest next week.

I'm moving to NO tomorrow, so if anyone is there already and wants to meet up, PM me. :)

I am going down June first to start MPH stuff, all of us in town for the summer should hang out.

Hey guys!

At least some good news, the Entering 2006 Class link is finally updated and available for all of us to start filling out registration forms on Scrubs, Face Book, White Coat order size, etc...go check it out.

http://www.som.tulane.edu/admissions/entering_class_06/index.html

Hope you guys are starting to get excited!

I'm in NOLA for Histo; which starts June 6th for those taking it this summer.

Take care & hope I see you guys soon!

hi, i will be a T1 in the fall as well. i was a tulane undergrad so know a bit about the city already if anyone has questions.

i will be living in an awesome apartment about 1/2 mile form the TU med campus!! it is a loft style apatrment that is newly renovated with stainless steel appliance, wood floors, and an awesome view of the city from huge bay windows. it is located on the corner of Poydras and Baronne. my rent is ONLY $725 for my half of a 2br/1ba apt which i'm sharing with a good friend who will be at TU law school ($1450 total rent). if anyone wants to check it out, go to www.civiclofts.com . the manager is named kelly and he is sooo nice. just email him at the contact address on the website, or call his office at 504-522-2252 (although he isnt always in his office). you can chose to move-in in july or pro-rate it till august (like i am). i would love to have some fellow med students living nearby...so go visit if u can...you will be sold on this place instantly...the pics dont do it justice, i promise. the apts are going fast though, so call soon.

It's pretty cool to see so many people taking histo this summer and be back in N.O. (i'll be here too taking histo)...when i had signed up around May 1st there were like only 8 people registered...it looks like there will be considerably more people....(you guys think around 30?..with a lot of the masters' students staying to take the course...

Anyway ppl who looked at the course schedule....that is a hell a lot of course work in a short amount of time (ah but its med school...)....but I couldn't believe that we get at least 4 days off before each exam!

Related note...has anyone heard if TUSOM posted the normal med school schedule yet because my sis who is a first year said she heard...(don't know how true it is...that TUSOM is going to merge cell bio into other courses (most of it into biochem)...and get rid of it as a stand alone course....that would mean those ppl taking histo this summer would have T and Th off in the fall !!!