Tulane SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
contulusa said:
It's pretty cool to see so many people taking histo this summer and be back in N.O. (i'll be here too taking histo)...when i had signed up around May 1st there were like only 8 people registered...it looks like there will be considerably more people....(you guys think around 30?..with a lot of the masters' students staying to take the course...

Anyway ppl who looked at the course schedule....that is a hell a lot of course work in a short amount of time (ah but its med school...)....but I couldn't believe that we get at least 4 days off before each exam!

Related note...has anyone heard if TUSOM posted the normal med school schedule yet because my sis who is a first year said she heard...(don't know how true it is...that TUSOM is going to merge cell bio into other courses (most of it into biochem)...and get rid of it as a stand alone course....that would mean those ppl taking histo this summer would have T and Th off in the fall !!!

Yep, that looks about right to me. I think we will have Tues. and Thurs. off which is really sweet b/c we'll be able to go to the library or coffee shop somewhere and cram Anatomy all day! I think if we had Cell Bio taken off the curriculum as a class alone, that would be great too! Sounds like things are getting much better. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I still haven't received my financial aid package yet and the day after tommorow is June 1st. So, I called them and they said that it would take A COUPLE of more WEEKS! I thought we were all suppose to hear by May 15th. I know they are backed up but I'm starting to get a little concerned. Is there still anyone out there that hasn't received their package yet?
Thanks guys.

i haven't received mine either. i called early last week and the lady said i would get it within the next 2 weeks. i took that as this friday. i have a feeling i will be calling them again on monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going down to NOLA tomorrow to start my mph classes, is anyone else going to be down there?

I haven't heard anything from financial aide yet either....is there anybody who has?
For those of you who aren't starting until August, have you figured out what your doing for housing yet? I'm currently considering a 1 BR at Coliseum place on Coliseum st. Anyone from the area know anything about the apartment complex or neighborhood (its in the lower garden district, between st. charles and magazine). It's difficult trying to figure this out from 2000 miles away! :eek:

ucsdmd2b said:
I haven't heard anything from financial aide yet either....is there anybody who has?
For those of you who aren't starting until August, have you figured out what your doing for housing yet? I'm currently considering a 1 BR at Coliseum place on Coliseum st. Anyone from the area know anything about the apartment complex or neighborhood (its in the lower garden district, between st. charles and magazine). It's difficult trying to figure this out from 2000 miles away! :eek:

That neighborhood should be good, but please please please if at all possible, have someone drive by to check it out. New Orleans is not a good city to get places without looking first, mainly because the neighborhoods are so mixed that you may have mansions on one block but ghettos just a few blocks away.

Hey y'all, my roommate just gave me this site so I figured I'd join. I just graduated from Tulane and can't wait to start med school there too. I will also be taking Histology this summer, so if you're down here already get in touch. See some of you in class next week.

Hey Ya'll,

So I had to go out of town but I am coming back to NOLA friday. Anywho, if anyone wants to organize something to hang out before classes start let me know!!!

Hey..I went down to TU to check out the parking situation...looks like I'll be parking at the Heal Parking Garage connected to the med school.....the TU wbsite said something about the Tidewater parking lot ($60/month)...just seems a little far away...(N.O. WEATHER is fickle...torential rain, burning heat..etc..) anyway though parking is $100 dollars a month... a bit high but at least they didn't raise the rates post-K.

Was just wondering where everyone else is parking...(plan on walking?)

ucsdmd2b said:

I think that there are areas around Tulane University-Uptown that are good neighborhoods. I would say from that area (Broadway St.) towards Magazine St. (towards the river). They seem to be more student oriented and safer neighborhoods to live in. Good luck!!!!! :)

contulusa said:
Hey..I went down to TU to check out the parking situation...looks like I'll be parking at the Heal Parking Garage connected to the med school.....the TU wbsite said something about the Tidewater parking lot ($60/month)...just seems a little far away...(N.O. WEATHER is fickle...torential rain, burning heat..etc..) anyway though parking is $100 dollars a month... a bit high but at least they didn't raise the rates post-K.

Was just wondering where everyone else is parking...(plan on walking?)
I live right by the undergrad campus and was planning on using Tulane's uptown/downtown shuttle...anyone know how reliable it is? Or if other people live around here, I'd be interested in possibly carpooling and sharing parking costs.

Hey y'all, I won't be your classmate, I'll be at LSU, but I thought I could give you some tulane related advice. Tidewater is incredibly close to the medschool and you can get to the medschool via inside passageways so no need to get soaked to park in Tidewater. The uptown-downtown shuttle is very reliable, just know that if you are trying to go without a car completely, it is virtually impossible to grocery shop in new orleans without a car. As far as good neighborhoods, uptown is great, especially close to the undergrad campus, near magazine in the garden district is good too, and the CBD has nice apartments but is a bit pricy and unsafe to walk about by yourself at night. Have fun at Tulane, I would have loved to join you but couldn't risk waiting for fin-aid with such a cheep option that allowed me to still stay in New Orleans.

hey, did anyone get their fin aid package? or am i still the only one who hasn't gotten it yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
theunderdog said:
hey, did anyone get their fin aid package? or am i still the only one who hasn't gotten it yet?

hi, i just joined this & wanted to give ppl some "insider" information about the fin. packages. apparently the computer system crashed and they had to recover all the information and re-work a bunch of stuff. sucks, i know!

also, i'm from nola and live in the garden district. if anyone has questions about housing locations, let me know. i'm willing to drive by locations when i get the chance. i'm currently living outside the city until the roof gets fixed on our house (thanks katrina) but i'm usually uptown/tulane area at least once or twice a week.

i'd really like to meet ppl before classes start, so if anyone's in town now, let me know!

NOLAmels said:
hi, i just joined this & wanted to give ppl some "insider" information about the fin. packages. apparently the computer system crashed and they had to recover all the information and re-work a bunch of stuff. sucks, i know!

Actually the software had glitches--of course, they said the exact same thing last semester, and the semester before that, and the semester before that. You all have so much to look forward to over the next few years, try not to frighten the poor little-ole secretary with your mounting frustrations. But then again, always remember that all these incompetent people are actually getting paid to be incompetent while we pay their salaries with our ungodly tuition, so why not make their lives more difficult during business hours?

NOLAmels said:

also, i'm from nola and live in the garden district. if anyone has questions about housing locations, let me know. i'm willing to drive by locations when i get the chance. i'm currently living outside the city until the roof gets fixed on our house (thanks katrina) but i'm usually uptown/tulane area at least once or twice a week.

i'd really like to meet ppl before classes start, so if anyone's in town now, let me know!

I just got down at the end of last week i am doing MPH stuff here at deming. Any pointers on how to shop without a car would be great

hey, if you need a ride somewhere, just let me know. i will be more than glad to help you out. if you're living downtown, it'll probably be rough to go shopping, unless you take public transportation.

Congrats to all of you coming to Tulane next year. I'm a member of the class of 2008, and I guarantee you're all going to love it down here. I'm busy studying for Step 1, but I wanted to post some info on a good apartment for rent down here (its the other side of my house).

You can see my post for the apartment over on the Tulane SOM forum here:
http://www.somforum.com/index.php?act=ST&f=40&t=2098&st=0#entry6228

I assume you all are probably already members of that forum, and if you aren't you'll want to sign up anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you wondering about parking, the 1st and 2nd years traditionally have parked in this lot (Google Maps). It was the cheapest option at $60/month. The Heal lot was usually reserved for hospital employees and 3rd and 4th year students doing their clerkships (it'll probably be less crowded with the empty hospitals right now). The Heal lot is the most expensive at $100 a month. Parking at the Tidewater building on Canal Street (where the School of Public Health is located) is reserved for public health people, I think. All parking matters are handled by the Parking Office on the 8th floor of the Tidewater building. If you go to the office for a permit, bring your car registration with you

Oh, and I enrolled in the Histology course the summer before I started,too. It was very laid back, the professors are great, and it was fun to meet a few other students before the year got into full swing. I think their were about 12 of us that summer. The cool thing was that we were allowed to stick together and be in the same anatomy dissection groups (that is optional). It does take a small chunk of your workload off your plate during the first semester, too.

Enjoy the rest of your summer...
-Jon
T2 (almost T3)

hi everyone,

can anyone give me the low down on deming? I signed up for housing there, but it seems like everyone's so anti... also, what's the deal with everyone wanting to live uptown? if u live uptown, would u have to have a car? why is it better than downtown?

I'm coming from philly, and don't know much about NO.. help is much appreciated :)
thanks,
tas

tmb80 said:
hi everyone,

can anyone give me the low down on deming? I signed up for housing there, but it seems like everyone's so anti... also, what's the deal with everyone wanting to live uptown? if u live uptown, would u have to have a car? why is it better than downtown?

I'm coming from philly, and don't know much about NO.. help is much appreciated :)
thanks,
tas

Living in Deming is like living in 410 sq. feet of hell. Is crampt, its unsafe downtown. If you want to go for groceries, its a drive. If you want to lift, its a drive. If you want to run outside, its definatly a drive (thats kind of safety at night). Its also just not what I thought I was going to get for the money. At any rate, uptown is where its at. Run outside? Not a problem. Riely center (gym) is close. Gorceries? Not too far away. Honestly, If you are going to drop 8oo bones on a place to live, you can get a much nicer place uptown and drive as much as you would living in Deming. You cant beat the convenience, but its just not worth it. I moved in to deming for my program last year and am living uptown to start medical school.

Also, I would say having a car is key out here right now. But thats just my opinion.

tmb80 said:
hi everyone,

thanks,
tas

much agreed that upt is SOO much better. after having spent the last 4 yrs in philly, i'd compare tulane ave (where deming is) to west philly/69th st terminal area. uptown is nicer for the price and more centrally located. if you want to be closer to reilly, i'd look for places in the uptown and broadmoor areas, as opposed to garden district and lgd. broadmoor tends to be cheaper bc it's a little further away from tulane main campus, but be careful anywhere you look. as someone said before, one block can be really really nice homes, and two blocks down you're in the projects, so definately have someone drive by and check the place out. i know that there are a bunch of one bedrooms for rent in the upt area right now (i've been apt hunting with friends). check out bestofneworleans.com for gambit weekly's apt listings. last time i looked, they had a bunch of upt 1brs available. :)

To the folks who have lived in Deming before- is it possible to break your lease early or sublet the apartment? I put myself down for a year, but would be interested in moving out after a semester, once I know the city a little better.

tmb80 said:
hi everyone,

thanks,
tas
Well I’ve checked the prices and Deming by far is the cheapest (this wasn't the case before the K), i really like Deming and for those who were scared of going out side (i was one of them) before the Katrina, it is not scary any more. (Scary people are scaring other cities) I don't have a car so uptown would not be a good idea for me and I think Deming is a great idea for the first year.

synoohe said:
Well I've checked the prices and Deming by far is the cheapest (this wasn't the case before the K), i really like Deming and for those who were scared of going out side (i was one of them) before the Katrina, it is not scary any more. (Scary people are scaring other cities) I don't have a car so uptown would not be a good idea for me and I think Deming is a great idea for the first year.

Just please be careful around Deming, especially at night. The scary people are most definitely not all gone. The areas toward the river and toward the west from Deming are pretty safe, especially during the day but going towards the lake and going too far east can be pretty dicey, especially at night. I work some late nights at TMC so I can tell you this from experience.

That being said as long as you're careful you should be fine. Campus police are there for your protection, don't hesitate to call on them if you feel in danger. There's also a plan to tear down the old city hall building a couple of blocks away and make a nice park area there, hopefully that'll improve the neighborhood a bit.

Hey guys I am taking Histo right now (it is a heck of a lot of material in a really short amount of time...anyway I digress) I just want to tell those ppl from out of state that have not come to New Orleans right now to really think about living downtown (demming). Although demming is Right across the street...New Olreans and Downtown are nowhere close to being back to normal. Yes, the Quarter is fine and UPT but DOwntown is not....Beside the foul smell everywhere...outside of tulane med there are 4 portalets and charity next door is deserted. (I am originally from New Orleans..so I am use to the smell in the French Quarter but it was never really in Downtown.) It is not like oh it smells...get over it....it literally smells like urine and THERE are no places to eat within 4 blocks of the med school..i know because my fellow classmates and I go on a hunt everyday to find places to eat and there aren't any. I hope this gets better in the fall with cafeterias opening up in the hospital and med school. Currently, most ppl downtown buy there food from back of portable trucks that are parked outside. I just bring my own lunch.

The only reason I am posting this is I want you guys from out of state to not be surprised. I would live UPT. As for the safety it is pretty good with Tulane police ALL over the place...checking IDS in every building...it is pretty tight.

I would still give my right hand to go to Tulane because I know New Orleans is going to come back 10xs better and I love my hometown...but I just don't want ya'll to be shocked when you'll come down here.

Last point...the faculty even have to empty their own trash!....

I want to end on a good point so I don't want to sound like I am putting Tulane or New Orleans down...i just want to let ya'll know what is going on down here...THE SMART boards in HISTO LAB are unbelievable...

contulusa said:
Hey guys I am taking Histo right now (it is a heck of a lot of material in a really short amount of time...anyway I digress) I just want to tell those ppl from out of state that have not come to New Orleans right now to really think about living downtown (demming). Although demming is Right across the street...New Olreans and Downtown are nowhere close to being back to normal. Yes, the Quarter is fine and UPT but DOwntown is not....Beside the foul smell everywhere...outside of tulane med there are 4 portalets and charity next door is deserted. (I am originally from New Orleans..so I am use to the smell in the French Quarter but it was never really in Downtown.) It is not like oh it smells...get over it....it literally smells like urine and THERE are no places to eat within 4 blocks of the med school..i know because my fellow classmates and I go on a hunt everyday to find places to eat and there aren't any. I hope this gets better in the fall with cafeterias opening up in the hospital and med school. Currently, most ppl downtown buy there food from back of portable trucks that are parked outside. I just bring my own lunch.

The only reason I am posting this is I want you guys from out of state to not be surprised. I would live UPT. As for the safety it is pretty good with Tulane police ALL over the place...checking IDS in every building...it is pretty tight.

I would still give my right hand to go to Tulane because I know New Orleans is going to come back 10xs better and I love my hometown...but I just don't want ya'll to be shocked when you'll come down here.

Last point...the faculty even have to empty their own trash!....

I want to end on a good point so I don't want to sound like I am putting Tulane or New Orleans down...i just want to let ya'll know what is going on down here...THE SMART boards in HISTO LAB are unbelievable...

There are actually quite a few restaurants near the SOM. Try Italian Pie, Nacho Mama's, New City Diner, O'Henry's, and a couple of asian joints. They're all within 6 blocks of the JBJ. Also the cafeteria in the tidewater building is open.

(If you need directions to these places PM me and I'll be happy to hook you up.)

I didn't post this to be purely contradictory, I agree that downtown isn't safe, especially at night but it's a lot better than it was when I came back to work here in November. Yes, emptying our own trash is a bummer but at least the AC's are working, it was a real hellhole before that was fixed. :)

There is some good places to eat right down the street from SOM. If you go behind the SOM, that street is Gravier, walk towards the river maybe a couple of blocks and there is an O;Henrys, and Obies (which is awesome) and a subway. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the heads up about the places to eat around TUSOM...I'LL definelty check them out.The Tidewater cafeteria is kind of lame and we went there a couple of times...its just that we get about an hour for lunch and going any significant distance and back is kind of a pain. Some of the guys did go to subway the other day.... 6 blocks is kind of far when you are walking in NO...but I'll get used to it. I didn't go to an urban college so I was kind of used to driving my car places to eat. There is definetly not enough time for me to get my car out of the 5th floor of Heal and go someplace and then eat and drive back...(actually there would be probably enough time..but it would be annoying....) But most of the ppl either go home (Uptown or bring their lunch for convenience sake and money wise I guess).... Anyway I didn't mean the post to be just about places to eat but a general post about not living in downtown...The trash thing was to just ppl know that everything is not back to normal...yet. At least today Tulane opened up the bathrooms on the 3rd floor so students don't have to go to the 6th floor.....(there is low water pressure in lots of places while S&WB try to fix the holes in the pipes all over the city.) We're making progress!

On a TOTALLY different note....just wandering if everyone got the e-mail about tubing and how many of you guys are going?

contulusa On a TOTALLY different note....just wandering if everyone got the e-mail about tubing and how many of you guys are going?[/QUOTE said:
Ahhh like everybody

A bunch of us tulane md-mph students are aleady here, you are in NOLA too? If so you should come meet some other members of 2010

Kitra101 said:
I saw CNN broadcasting from Bourbon Street last night. While they said that there were a lot of relief effort people there, it still looked alive and well. This is way too early in my opinion to be alive and well and partying on Bourbon. However, that said, it goes to show that you can't keep a good city down. I am glad to have seen something positive about NO being shown on a media station...like a breath of fresh air. It was almost as if someone asked them to just report what was going on, do their job and not overdo it for the sake of ratings. I doubt it though as I have come to believe that the vast majority of media personnel are blood sucking leeches who only care about their station and money, but maybe there actually is at least one good media person out there.

*does the Jedi mind trick wave*

You did not see me on Bourbon St on this occasion. No, Really, I was not there....

re: the food situation

please someone tell me that pho tau bay is open! (right across from the lsu old meb/ charity). i highly doubt it, but that would kinda make my day/next 4 yrs if it was.

NOLAmels said:
re: the food situation

please someone tell me that pho tau bay is open! (right across from the lsu old meb/ charity). i highly doubt it, but that would kinda make my day/next 4 yrs if it was.

I heard that only the one in metarie had reopened . . . I have no clue how I am expected to make it thru med school without pho-ga on demand!

psipsina said:
I heard that only the one in metarie had reopened . . . I have no clue how I am expected to make it thru med school without pho-ga on demand!

The one on 113 Westbank Expressway's open. Hopefully the others will open soon. I'll walk down by charity on my lunch break and see if that one's being worked on.

EDIT: I walked by and the door's boarded up. :( It looks like it's been cleaned out inside. No sign indicating if they plan to return or not.

Hey guys....I just saw this on FastWeb, and thought I'd pass on the info. There is a (new?) scholarship for Tulane or LSU med students-it's the Philip H. Jones Scholarship. I didn't read much about it since I'm not going to either of those 2 schools, but thought I'd pass it on for students to check it out!!

McMD said:
Hey guys....I just saw this on FastWeb, and thought I'd pass on the info. There is a (new?) scholarship for Tulane or LSU med students-it's the Philip H. Jones Scholarship. I didn't read much about it since I'm not going to either of those 2 schools, but thought I'd pass it on for students to check it out!!

Nodelphi said:
The one on 113 Westbank Expressway's open. Hopefully the others will open soon. I'll walk down by charity on my lunch break and see if that one's being worked on.

EDIT: I walked by and the door's boarded up. :( It looks like it's been cleaned out inside. No sign indicating if they plan to return or not.

i went to the pho tau bay on the westbank today. it's in a super sketchy strip mall but the pho-ga and spring rolls were just as delicious! so there's hope for us ... that and i made it from the garden district to the restaurant in 10 minutes (hopefully med school will allow us that much free time...)

Somebodyys gotta have something to talk about

NOLAmels said:
i went to the pho tau bay on the westbank today. it's in a super sketchy strip mall but the pho-ga and spring rolls were just as delicious! so there's hope for us ... that and i made it from the garden district to the restaurant in 10 minutes (hopefully med school will allow us that much free time...)

I can't wait to get down there, there are so many foods I've been craving since last August and this is one of them! mmmm . . . . pho-ga

tulane06 said:
How is it down there KAI? I'll be moving into Deming this Saturday, i'm psyched.

Its great down here, I am living in deming too. There a bunch of med students already down here and we definately enjoy ourselves when we can. When you get in, let me know, I'm there will be plenty going on this weekend. I'll PM you with my name and number.

hey guys,

for those of u already down in NO, can someone clarify what ppl mean when they say locals are developing coughs due to spores?

people seem to love telling me negative things about NO...

are there any others out there who have not received their financial aid packets yet??

also, i am bringing a car down to tulane. do i need to get a parking permit??

thanks!!!!

please respond somebody...

theunderdog said:
are there any others out there who have not received their financial aid packets yet??

thanks!!!!

From what I've heard on the Forum, FinAid is backed up/incredibly slow so far. T3's and T4's are about to start rotations, so they may be dealing with them for now.

As far as parking, yes you will need to get a permit. Look on the Tulane SOM website for information on where to go to sign up. You will need your license and registration when you go, so don't forget those. As far as costs, I think it depends on what type of pass you get.

Just curious if anyone is willing to read my paragraph on why Tulane for the secondary. I'm going by what I read on the Tulane's website and MSAR and am worried that I may be referring to a program/service/facility that is no longer available post Katrina. :oops:

I could PM it to you. Please let me know. Thanks in Advance.

tmb80 said:
hey guys,

for those of u already down in NO, can someone clarify what ppl mean when they say locals are developing coughs due to spores?

people seem to love telling me negative things about NO...

I hear them New Orleans folk all wrastle alligators, practice voodoo and drive around in airboats too!

Don't listen to silly rumors, I've lived in new orleans for almost thirty years, there's always been mold and look at me I'm fine!

*cough* :eek:

theunderdog said:

thanks!!!!

I haven't heard anything yet either, I was going to call on Monday to see what's going on.