Tulane University c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyChow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
making the thread

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there, very excited to get out of the cold and spend 4 years in NO!

Bout' time someone started one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Tulane have a re-visit weekend?

Judging from past year threads, I don't think they have an official second look weekend, but I'm not positive on that.

Hey, I talked to Dean Beckman and told her my intent to accept....do we really have until may to put down a deposit?

yes
you don't give the deposit until you decide you are truly going to go there.
otherwise, they would just have to give it back to you if you decide to attend somewhere else

See you all in the fall! :soexcited:

This school was my top choice and I am very glad to say I will be joining you all next year. I am also happy I can relax for the rest of the application cycle now and think of the fun New Orleans will bring!

Go Green Wave :D

I'm trying to decide between schools right now... does anyone know about NOLA? I'm hesitant to go because of the city. All I've heard is that it's "really fun." I come from Chicago and didn't see a "downtown-like area" in NOLA. Where do students live? What's outside of the French Quarter? Do you think it feels like a real city?

Hi guys! I just got the call from Dr. Beckman today! I'm sooo happy. I absolutely adore New Orleans!

Congratulations:thumbup: I feel the same way about New Orleans too. I am really looking forward to going to school there

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all

i need some help in figuring out the specifics of Tulane's curriculum and the clinical opps that it offers to MS III and MSIV.

Q. How does a random week as a MSI look like? long hours in lecture in the morning .. then small groups in the afternoon? (be specific if possible)

Q. What are the hours like as a MS III and MSIV? when are you on call?

Q. What are your responsibilities as a med student during your clerkships?

Thanks ahead of time!

I just found out this thread exists. I guess I have to divert some time away from the premed forums now. See you all in August. Has anyone started looking for places to live?

I just found out this thread exists. I guess I have to divert some time away from the premed forums now. See you all in August. Has anyone started looking for places to live?

I have been looking online at craiglists every couple days to get a sense of price ranges and availability. I haven't done any extremely serious searching though. I am planning on taking a trip down to NO around may/june to look for places more formally as well.

Any current med students know what the deal with SARBA is? They haven't updated their page in awhile. Are they still a club?

Does anyone know what the major grocery stores are in New Orleans? I was just kind of curious as I am prepping for the move.

Does anyone know what the major grocery stores are in New Orleans? I was just kind of curious as I am prepping for the move.

Win-Dixie, Rouse's (highly recommend), Wal Mart, Whole foods.

Win-Dixie, Rouse's (highly recommend), Wal Mart, Whole foods.

Thanks for the info, I will have to peruse their websites and see what they are all about. Should help take up some time at work.

Does anyone have any insight on the best time to go down to look for an apartment? I was thinking sometime in May when the students are cycling out...any thoughts?

I think you'd have plenty of time if you went in May. Housing here isn't that competitive compared to other cities, but then again it would be nice to get all that stuff squared away before school starts.

I think you'd have plenty of time if you went in May. Housing here isn't that competitive compared to other cities, but then again it would be nice to get all that stuff squared away before school starts.

Do you or anyone else know the best sources for apartment hunting. I have been looking at Craiglist, but as you say the market doesn't move that fast. Are there any other websites or local papers that also have a good amount of apartment listings?

I think craigslist is probably the best option if you are looking for an actual house/shared housing. If you're looking for an apartment in the Warehouse/LGD (convenient location b/c close to school), the two big places where a lot of grad students (law,med,other young professionals) seem to live are 1) The Saulet and 2) Cotton Mill.

Hey guys-are tulane classes p/f, graded, or like honors/high pass/pass..etc

thanks!

They are pass/fail but they also award Honors and High Pass.

Oh really, so the grading system is the typical honors/high pass/pass/fail then during the first two years? I was a bit confused myself while reading about it online.

Oh really, so the grading system is the typical honors/high pass/pass/fail then during the first two years? I was a bit confused myself while reading about it online.

I was told that it is strict pass/fail the first two years by a current 1st year down there. Take that for what it's worth, and I'll try to clarify it when I head down for my interview soon...

I was told that it is strict pass/fail the first two years by a current 1st year down there. Take that for what it's worth, and I'll try to clarify it when I head down for my interview soon...

I was in a post-bacc program there and we were told that the grading is H/HP/P/F. Although it seemed that the H/HP weren't awarded until grades were reviewed for class ranking or something along those lines. I don't know that they necessarily show up on the transcript. The information is kind of vague concerning all of this.

I think I remember them saying it is p/f the first two years, but they factor your performance into your class rank later on. So maybe they keep track of the h/hp/p/f status and only let us know p/f for the first 2 years. I am sure we will find out in August.

Do you guys really think it makes much of a difference?

Do you guys really think it makes much of a difference?

Not particularly, I am just incredibly bored at work and trying to learn more stuff about the program. In the end, I am going to study the same regardless of what the grading system is.

Hey everyone! Concerning housing, another good resource to check out is the Tulane Student Portal. They have a lot of good material on there, including a way to search for housing. Anyway, take a look:

http://www.tmedweb.net/

BTW, I'm excited to meet all of you in the Fall!

Hey everyone! Concerning housing, another good resource to check out is the Tulane Student Portal. They have a lot of good material on there, including a way to search for housing. Anyway, take a look:

http://www.tmedweb.net/

BTW, I'm excited to meet all of you in the Fall!

Thanks a lot for the info. Looking at all this information is getting me very excited. When is everyone planning on moving down?

Moving at the end of June, but I only live 45 minutes away so that probably doesn't count. Depending on how much financial aid I get I may be living in a van down by the river.

Moving at the end of June, but I only live 45 minutes away so that probably doesn't count. Depending on how much financial aid I get I may be living in a van down by the river.

Nah just put a tent up under the S. Claiborne St bridge.

Haha, well a move is a move. I think I am coming down in the middle of July. Unfortunately my lease in boston runs through the end of august so I will be paying double rent for a while

I heard most of the students live uptown, but does anyone know anything about living in 'mid city'. A lot of cheaper apartments seem to be there and I was wondering if it might be not so great of an area? Thanks for any info you have.

I heard most of the students live uptown, but does anyone know anything about living in 'mid city'. A lot of cheaper apartments seem to be there and I was wondering if it might be not so great of an area? Thanks for any info you have.

Hey I live in midcity and love it. I lived uptown for undergrad and don't feel any less safe though I wouldn't say I feel "safe" in either area lol. Like any city you have to have your wits about you. For the most part as long as you aren't involved in drug/gang activity you are pretty safe but there are random incidents that involve just regular folks.

I'm trying to decide between schools right now... does anyone know about NOLA? I'm hesitant to go because of the city. All I've heard is that it's "really fun." I come from Chicago and didn't see a "downtown-like area" in NOLA. Where do students live? What's outside of the French Quarter? Do you think it feels like a real city?

NOLA isn't the same type of city as Boston, Chicago, NYC. It has a great cultural life but it isn't in the same package. Its a little dirty and its a little raw but its alot of fun. There are great restaurants, great music scene, wonderful outdoor spaces. But it isn't all centered in a single "downtown" area of skyscapers. Downtown is actually rather touristy.

Hey I live in midcity and love it. I lived uptown for undergrad and don't feel any less safe though I wouldn't say I feel "safe" in either area lol. Like any city you have to have your wits about you. For the most part as long as you aren't involved in drug/gang activity you are pretty safe but there are random incidents that involve just regular folks.

Hello Psipsina. I am thinking about moving to Metairie or some other place near the causeway. My other half will have to drive to Hammond to finish undergrad. Do you have any suggestions on areas to live? I live across the lake, but I am not too familiar with anything in New Orleans other than the French Quarter.

So someone mentioned The Saulet, and I checked it out....it seems pretty nice! What other apartment complexes exist in the same sort of area - close to the med school - that might be a bit cheaper?

Also, anyone (girl) out there interested in sharing an apartment? :) The Saulet seems do-able when it's a 2 bedroom-2 bath ....but for a 1 bedroom-1 bath, it's a bit expensive....

So someone mentioned The Saulet, and I checked it out....it seems pretty nice! What other apartment complexes exist in the same sort of area - close to the med school - that might be a bit cheaper?

Also, anyone (girl) out there interested in sharing an apartment? :) The Saulet seems do-able when it's a 2 bedroom-2 bath ....but for a 1 bedroom-1 bath, it's a bit expensive....

Check out the Gravier Place apartments. I'm not sure of the price but they are decent places to live.

Hey guys.

I am a T1. Just wanted to let you know that the first two years are actually pass/fail. There are no honors or high honors given for years 1 and 2.

I am from up north and I was a little concerned about the move to NO. It has grown on me immensely. NO is awesome. If you can't enjoy life in NO you can't enjoy life anywhere.

As for where to live: If you want to live away from school my suggestion (which is obviously highly subjective)would be around the uptown Magazine St. area. Its the very cool, hip, relaxed, and artsier part of town with great coffee shops and great access to Audubon Park (Magazine bisects the park). I am going to live there there next year. Downtown is good because that's where school is. Uptown (undergrad area) is great too. Obviously it all depends on what you want

Welcome to Tulane! You will REALLY enjoy your med-education experience here.

Hey guys.

I am a T1. Just wanted to let you know that the first two years are actually pass/fail. There are no honors or high honors given for years 1 and 2.

I am from up north and I was a little concerned about the move to NO. It has grown on me immensely. NO is awesome. If you can't enjoy life in NO you can't enjoy life anywhere.

As for where to live: If you want to live away from school my suggestion (which is obviously highly subjective)would be around the uptown Magazine St. area. Its the very cool, hip, relaxed, and artsier part of town with great coffee shops and great access to Audubon Park (Magazine bisects the park). I am going to live there there next year. Downtown is good because that's where school is. Uptown (undergrad area) is great too. Obviously it all depends on what you want

Welcome to Tulane! You will REALLY enjoy your med-education experience here.

Magazine St. and where?

Current Tulane med student (and former undergrad) here.

In terms of housing, one of the most important things to understand about New Orleans is that it is a very diverse "checkerboard" city. There are a few "bad" parts and even fewer unequivocally "good" parts, while the vast majority is mixed. The best advice is to drive a two block radius around your potential apartment during the day and at night. Before anyone gets all scared, etc let me throw out that I've been down here almost ten years and have never had a break in, robbery or any kind of crime committed against me. The only time my car got broken into was when I went to the northeastern seaboard for Katrina!! That being said, it's hard to tell you where is safe and where is not: in New Orleans there might be a row of million dollar "Garden District" homes and three blocks away a seedier set of residences.

In general here's my advice about neighborhoods and a link to a quicky and dirty google map I made for you:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...d=106625818460325756602.00046241beb93446aa0bc

(1) Uptown is where most of your future classmates live and where most of the undergraduate population lives. This is roughly from Jefferson Ave to Carrollton bounded by Tchoupitoulas and Claiborne. Good "landmarks" to look for in this area that are nice to live by: Magazine St, Maple St, St. Charles Ave, Audubon Park, Tulane undergrad campus. Lots of good campus bars, coffee shops, boutiques, restaurants. Has a more college feel the closer you get to campus, obviously. I have always lived Uptown and love it.

(2) Garden District is also home to a lot of Tulane students. Has a lot of older picturesque Southern homes. Starts to have a little more sketchy streets per capita, but still a generally very safe place to live. Jefferson to Felicity, bounded by St. Charles and Magazine (note the boundaries have narrowed). Good landmarks include Magazine St, Prytania St, St Charles Ave, Touro Hospital. Knew a girl who lived in Garden District, beautiful place, no problems, loved the accessibility to parade routes and "suburban" garden feel of neighborhood.

(3) Mid-City is really coming back after katrina, but did flood pretty badly. More and more affordable safe housing for young professionals is popping up. A lot of cool neighborhood bars and restaurants reemerging too. Had some med student friends who lived her and felt a little disconnected from everyone because even tho its just 15min from Uptown, you start to feel the distance. I freely admit that I don't know the best "spots" in mid city, but here's my impression between Canal and City Park and bounded by Carrolton or maybe Broad. Good landmarks are City Park, and the Fairgrounds.

(4) CBD / Warehouse: Mostly condos / lofts / "urban" living. A couple med students have places here. I think most buy some may rent. Easy drive to med school.

(5) French Quarter: loud, touristy, don't actually know any med students here, but maybe? Definitely has nice old New Orleans apartments, but I think they're pretty expensive or if not, uber dicey.

(6) Marigny / Bywater: Kind of an alt-crowd to the French Quarter. Lots of awesome music and bars. This is where I like to go out. Housing is quirky and cool and a number of med students live here, bike to school. Has dicey elements as it's close to Quarter and the further into the Bywater and closer to the Ninth Ward you get the dicier.

This site, http://www.gnocdc.org/prekatrinasite.html, tho pre-K has lots of still relevant info about the "feel" of neighborhoods.

Metairie and Kenner are suburbs that require a 15-45min commute on the interstate. Very few med students live this far away as it is a big disconnect. Most who do are married w/kids etc. I think some might live on the west bank, but most of them are from down here to begin with. It's closer than the suburbs but over a toll bridge, obvious disconnect.

The Saulet gets a lot of new med students. I've heard some rocky things about it (not safety, but thin walls, bad management, etc) but not from my med school friends. I had some non-med student friends who moved in right after it opened and were very dissatisfied. Maybe that was just some "opneing hiccups" I don't really know. Realize that in the Saulet you will lose out on that "traditional" new orleans housing experience: old shotgun style house, hardwood floors, quirky ante-bellum architecture, etc. The Saulet could be picked up and set down in Cincinnati, Gainsville, Boulder, Tuscon, etc and fit right in. I advise you find some "native" housing!

Deming is what it is. No one stays more than one year, and that is pretty much a fact. It's easy if you want to get acclimated to the city and have time to look around before you rent. But it kinda sucks. It's a dorm, how old are you?

Realize, like I said that there are plenty of exceptions to what I've outlined above: eg, there are robberies Uptown, and I know some people who live in the Ninth ward w/o a problem. I'm just telling you how I think about housing when I look for a new place. Look on craigslist, google map the place, compare it to my map figure out the neighborhood and do some research. Find some of your future classmates already down here and have them check it out or fly down with a list of 4-6 places and check them all out in one weekend (this is what I did when I moved back down here 6 years ago).

New Orleans is a great place to live. Very culturally active, very fun, very historical. Don't be worried about it...The opportunities here (music, dance, theatre, museum, parks, etc) are on par with most major cities but it retains that mid-size city feel. I love it.

Oh, and to re-confirm: grades are strictly p/f your first two years and then normal h/hp/p/c/f for rotations.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time. :thumbup: