Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiosurg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading on the Tulane class profile that the gpa range was 2.5-4.0. does that mean that they would take a person with a 2.5. no, my gpa is not that low, but i was wondering. when i questioned them, they said that they wanted more than a gpa. i have yet to take the MCAT, but have been taking the Kaplan tests (Comprehensive Review 2000 with CD) and have been getting high raw scores on them. also, behind my belt i have actual surgery experience (assisting in ortho, vascular, and general sureries), volunteer (as a "nurse") at the Good Samaritan Medical Clinic, and research.
i was just wondering what you thought. the docs i work with say that is now what they are looking for. i was wanting to know if any of you any info. thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess that 'is' what med schools are looking for. Keep up the good work. By the way, I see that you are from Nashville. Can u tell me about the town? Places to go, etc. I will be spending something like 3 nights there in two weeks and I don't have a clue what to do while I am there after interviews. Maybe ironing the suit.

My guess is that they have accepted someone with a GPA as low as 2.5. Generally, that may include a URM or non-traditional applicant with EXTRAORDINARY life experiences and great MCAT scores. Tulane is right, just like any other med school, they look for more than just GPA. There are other intagibles which make HUGE differences in whether or not you get accepted.

Keep the peace brotha!

Atlas

I take it you will be interviewing at Vandy? I have studied alot there at the Biomedical library (reading the docs' research papers and reading about surgery). The faculty, staff, and students (most) are extremly helful. I saw on one sight where a guy said the girls were snobs, but they were nice to me(he might have been trying to hit on them).
Vandy is located between West End Ave and 21st Ave.
What to do in Nashville. Lots. There are 3-4 malls (I recommended Cool Springs Galleria and Green Hills Mall-both are within 15 minutes from Vandy). If you need a few places to collect your thoughts-bicentennial park (where there is a replica of the Parthenon)which is on the otherside of Vandy and there is the Opry Hotel (about 15-20 minutes from Vandy) which has an atrium (very large) in it that is pretty cool. You can always tour places like the Ryman and Grand Old Opry House and catch a show if you are into country music. Cool places to hang near Vandy-good beer and eating at Boscos (down from Vandy) Brewery, Sam's sports Bar and grill, Fido's (coffee house), Blackstone Brewery, Starbucks, and of course the usual eating places.
As to where to stay:Hotels on West End, 21st Ave, There are several in the Cool Springs area (15 min from Vandy).
Nashville is a well-kept city. There is plenty to do within walking distance.
If you need a hairdresser-use Karen at Le Bon Ton (West End).
There are plenty of night clubs downtown (15min from campus).
I hope that helps. Good Luck!