Status
Not open for further replies.

sazerac

rye sense of humor
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Both schools have a lot to offer and I could see myself at both of them. Tulane has great student life as well as unique clinical experiences and a higher med school ranking. This ranking may help me get into a good residency program. On the other hand, Mizzou is much cheaper and has the well-established PBL system. Students there seem very prepared for both board exams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tulane isn't even ranked. This is by choice, because those who are concerned with medical school rankings are not really the kinds of students Tulane is looking for. The ranking of your school will not help you get into a good residency program. YOU will help you get into a good residency program.

Costs can be difficult to evaluate. You may or may not get scholarships at either school. Basically you need to look at the COA difference between Tulane and the other school, multiply that by 4, and then ask yourself "in 20 years, would it have been worth it to spend that extra money to live in a city like New Orleans as a care-free med student for four years of your adult life?"

If you fell in love with New Orleans and want to become a part of that unique culture, then by all means come on down. If you were meh on the whole interview experience and thought New Orleans was a dingy and dysfunctional city, then save yourself a bundle and go to Mizzou.

It's all up to you.

Last edited:

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Both schools have a lot to offer and I could see myself at both of them. Tulane has great student life as well as unique clinical experiences and a higher med school ranking. This ranking may help me get into a good residency program. On the other hand, Mizzou is much cheaper and has the well-established PBL system. Students there seem very prepared for both board exams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tulane is not higher ranked than Mizzou (not that it matters).

Mizzou is very IS biased so I'm guessing you're a MO resident. Go to Mizzou and save a bunch of money.

jjbodean

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2011
Marietta, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go to mizzou. The majority of Louisiana kids who go to Tulane are those who couldn't get into lsu. Stay home and pay the cheaper tuition.

Jul 19, 2010
Old Swampy
Status
Medical Student
Go to mizzou. The majority of Louisiana kids who go to Tulane are those who couldn't get into lsu. Stay home and pay the cheaper tuition.
It’s funny, I have a lot of friend at LSU, and we always joke about how some attendings/nurses say LSU students are better than Tulane students while others say Tulane students are better than LSU students. Despite being in the same city, the two institutions, and students, are pretty different. Around 10% of Tulane’s class is from LA, and the vast majority of these students were accepted to at least one of the LSUs (and the ones I’ve met who weren’t all attended Tulane for UG). I know many LSU students who were accepted to Tulane, and for them, choosing LSU was easy because of the cost. However, the LA residents who chose Tulane did so because it was a better fit (i.e. they’re atheist, Jewish, gay, super-liberal), they’re the 4th or 5th generation in their family to attend the med school, they received a scholarship, or they’re in the military. The point is—and I’m directing this at the OP—is that for some individuals, cost is the most important thing (especially when the quality of two schools isn’t that different), however, some people may feel more comfortable and feel like they may do better in one environment instead of another. Tulane’s med school no longer participates in US News (they used to, then they stopped, then they did again, then they stopped). The last year the med school did participate was in 2008, and Tulane was ranked 55 (I found this link in an old thread http://web.archive.org/web/20080408034142/http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/mdr/items/04042). I know when I was trying to decide which school to choose, I looked at several factors: special programs, location, cost, curriculum, etc, and I talked to several of my research mentors. Try and figure out the pros-and-cons, and discuss them with people you trust. Regardless of your choice, you’ll be starting med school in less than 7-8 months, and both schools will prepare you well. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.