Tulane vs USC Greenville vs FIU vs FAU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidWestGoingEast1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m waitlisted at a handful of Top 20 schools, any of which I would be thrilled to attend, so I’m crossing fingers for a good outcome at any of those, but otherwise I am just grateful to have gotten in a few Schools already and would be happy to attend any of the Schools below.

I’ve bullet-pointed pros and cons for the Schools below where I’ve gotten in. Please note these are pros and cons for what I perceive as added value, which may or may not be right. Feel free to chime in if you think I’m off about anything!

Before starting this process, I sort of determined pretty clearly for myself that the Med School I would attend, if I was lucky enough to get into several places and pick between several Schools, would be: The most prestigious (1), most affordable (2) school I can get into with Pass/Fail (3) grading and as little required class time possible (4).

So I decided in advance my final four criteria would be ranking/prestige/reputation (1), total cost of attendance and amount of student loans that I’ll need to take out (2), Pass/Fail grading (3), and minimal required class time (4).

For me personally, it’s always freaked me out to think I would have to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans, and neither of my parents will help in any way with paying tuition.

I am lucky that I was offered scholarships at all of the Schools below, so the TOTAL COST indicated is what it would cost me to attend each School over 4 years, all in (tuition, room and board, other fees, etc.) Obviously these are all estimates, but the amounts below are what I will have to take out in student loans in total over 4 years.

Here are my current options:

University of South Carolina - Greenville (USC Greenville)

Pros:

-Second least expensive option
-Brand new, state-of-the-art facilities (both classrooms and simulation center)
-Enjoyed my interview day. Most chill students I have encountered of any interview day.

Cons:

-ABC grading scale
-Small town (I have always lived in big or medium- size cities… Not sure how I would feel in a small town for 4 years)
-Very few opportunities for research (I personally am not big into research, but I gather it’s a requirement for the most competitive specialties)
-Felt the caliber of students was less than the other Schools I interviewed at (Does that even matter?)

TOTAL COST: $130,000

Florida Atlantic University (FAU Schmidt)

Pros:

-Least expensive option by far due to extremely generous scholarships
-Pass/Fail (preclinical years)
-64 students (highly individualized attention and teacher support)
-Idyllic location (Boca Raton is one of the most beautiful cities in Florida, and the School is literally 5 minutes from the beach)
-Tests every 5-6 weeks
-Though a new School, opportunities for research at Scripps and Cleveland Clinic Florida
-Brand new, state-of-the-art facilities (both classrooms and simulation center)
-Loved the vibe of the School on interview day. Liked every single student we met, the Faculty, Deans, everyone. Feel like I felt in love.

Cons:

-Quite a bit of PBL and required class time (6 hours of PBL a week during both MS1 and MS2, on top of labs, simulation center activities, preceptorships, etc.)
-Haven’t gathered definitive information about the quality of third year clinical clerkships.

TOTAL COST: $100,000

Florida International University (FIU Wertheim)

Pros:

-1.5 year preclinical curriculum
-Great match list with competitive residency placements at institutions across the country (best match list of all 4 Schools)
-Very high STEP 1 average (something like a 238)

Cons:

-Tests every week or every other week (many more tests than any other School on this list)
-It is my understanding they have a shortened summer break after MS1
-ABC grading scale
-Living arrangements not as nice as the other Schools (Miami is very expensive and School is not in the best area of town)
-Second most expensive option

TOTAL COST: $215,000

Tulane

Pros:
-More established than the other three (Not sure if that even matters or if so, how much it does?)
-Pass/Fail (preclinical years)
-Possibility of completing an additional degree, MBA or MPH, in 4 years, which I’m fairly certain I want to do, if not now, then at some point in the future (Though that’s also a con since that would add an additional $75,000 in tuition to the total below)

Cons:

-New Orleans (great city for sure, but I think I see myself more at any of the above three locations)
-Large student class (185 students)
-Slow and unresponsive administration (as per many students who currently attend)
-Everything at Tulane felt a bit rundown, old classrooms, etc., though they have a brand-new state-of-the-art hospital.

TOTAL COST: $250,000 (or as high as $325,000 if I pursue a 4-year MD/MPH or MD/MBA)

As far as cost alone is concerned:

FAU < USC Greenville < FIU < Tulane

$100,000 < $130,000 < $215,000 < $250,000 to $325,000

A few notes about me that I think can help guide some of your feedback, which I really value (Long-term lurker and never contributed here before, but SDN is literally an invaluable resource IMHO):

-I’m a highly adaptable person. I’ve lived in a bunch of different States (though never in a small town), and have attended public and private schools for High School, so I feel like I blend in most settings and I generally make the best of any situation and am happy most everywhere.

-I emphasize as pros a Pass/Fail grading scheme and less frequent tests as I’m already very self-motivated, an older student, and very independent.

-I’m not sure yet what specialty I want to pursue, but I don’t want to have any doors closed to me either. I’m a nontrad and very much of the mindset of wanting to eventually practice as a “clinician and…”, but not really interested in academic medicine. More so, I know down the line at some point I would like to pursue a dual degree, and be involved in Healthcare Administration, Public Health Advocacy and/or Public Policy, etc., in addition to working with patients in a clinical setting. Hence why I’m very strongly considering pursuing an MBA (or possibly MPH, but most likely an MBA).

-I’m having a LOT of trouble parsing whether how much students loans I’ll have to take out should be a huge consideration, or even if at all. I have heard SUCH contradictory advice from practicing physicians, some that I know and others I have shadowed. Some said that once I become a physician, whatever amount of student loans I will have had to take out will be a drop in the bucket. Others said to minimize student loans as much as possible, and simply go to the cheapest possible School. I know one Doctor who became a dermatologist, paid off her student loans in the first two years that she practiced, and others who had job offers where their package included their student loans being paid off.

So I just don’t know if finances should guide this decision, and if so, how much so.

I value feedback from anyone, and in particularly any Faculty and Attendings who may come across this thread! @Goro, @gyngyn, @Med Ed

TL;DR: Should I go to the most affordable School or go to a School that is more established?

Members don't see this ad.

Get accepted, and then I'll advise.

Sorry my original post wasn't clear! I was accepted to the four schools above. I was just mentioning at the top of the post that I'm also waitlisted at some schools, but so far these are the schools I got into.

Members don't see this ad :)
FAU has the best/most pros for you. 2nd choice- Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
I'd go for cheapest. in this case fau

Tulane is by far the most prestigious of the 4 and NO is a great city, FIU has better clinical training than FAU/U So. Car. (train all over Miami at Baptist, CC-FL, Jackson Health, 3 trauma centers, etc. and is very hands-on) and high step scores-Miami is +/- depending on your personality-, FAU is in a lovely and more quiet part of FL and the P/F grading system is better than % grading at FIU, U So. Car. is also in a nice, quiet city and would probably still get you where you need to go at a much lower cost than the others (except FAU). I know what I would pick, but we likely have different priorities. From your descriptions of the programs it sounds like you felt at home at FAU and it is your cheapest option.

Thank you all for your comments! This feels right and confirms how I was feeling and looking to approach this. :)