Tulane vs. VCU/MCV: Which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulane School of Medicine vs. VCU/MCV School of Medicine

• Tulane School of Medicine

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • VCU/MCV School of Medicine

Votes: 27 45.8%

• Total voters

te7d

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like your input on which of these two schools you would attend. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

VCU is P/F with classes only half the day. The hospital is enormous and isn't falling apart. They have great pass rates on the boards w/ each student having a personalized study plan created for them by a top faculty member who's been doing it for years. Richmond's a great city to live in... with beaches, skiing, and DC all within 90min drive. VCU is also great b/c it has a pharmacy, dentisty, nursing, allied health, and PA program at the same site.

I just didnt' get a good vibe from Tulane. I also thought it was weird that they were renovating a few floors of a skyscrapper to turn into the medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU is P/F with classes only half the day. The hospital is enormous and isn't falling apart. They have great pass rates on the boards w/ each student having a personalized study plan created for them by a top faculty member who's been doing it for years. Richmond's a great city to live in... with beaches, skiing, and DC all within 90min drive. VCU is also great b/c it has a pharmacy, dentisty, nursing, allied health, and PA program at the same site.

I just didnt' get a good vibe from Tulane. I also thought it was weird that they were renovating a few floors of a skyscrapper to turn into the medical school.

VCU is not P/F. Richmond is hardly a great place to live but everything else is right.

VCU is not P/F. Richmond is hardly a great place to live but everything else is right.

True, it's not P/F, it's H/HP/P/M/F. While I'd never call Richmond "great," I did thoroughly enjoy The Fan.

P.S. If Tulane weren't still rebuilding it might be a tougher choice, but for now I'd go with VCU in a heart beat.

True, it's not P/F, it's H/HP/P/M/F. While I'd never call Richmond "great," I did thoroughly enjoy The Fan.

P.S. If Tulane weren't still rebuilding it might be a tougher choice, but for now I'd go with VCU in a heart beat.

Exactly, two or three years ago, this would have been a no-brainer for Tulane (unless you were a VA resident). Unfortunately, its almost the opposite now.

I interviewed at both, and I definitely liked VCU better. But I think that was mostly because my interviewers at Tulane were a little on the confrontational side and also because of the climate in New Orleans.

Well the poll is almost 50 - 50 right now which doesn't help too much haha. I agree that VCU is more stable/safe right now. My student host at Tulane recently told me that a tornado wiped out a neighborhood of recently rebuilt houses three blocks away from him two weeks ago. Which is awful. Also, I imagine that their endowment is dangerously low with the costs of restoring their school.

In comparison, Richmond isn't much to look at either. It's a bit run down and has a serious crime problem. I feel that New Orleans is only going to improve from here, while Richmond will continue to stay at the same level. Also, there is the additional benefit of being able to do an MD/MPH at Tulane in only four years in one of the best locations in the United States to study public health. While it is true that New Orleans is still in the process of rebuilding, the city has far more culture and a more exciting atmosphere than Richmond has.

I don't know if I could put up with the weather though...