Tulane: Your thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

After Hurricane Katrina, how did your feelings about Tulane change?

• I want to go to Tulane even more!

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I am still applying to Tulane

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • I was going to apply before and am not now

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I was never going to apply anyway

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about Tulane recently, now that they're sending out interviews.

Pick one of the above and feel free to explain, of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Before, my perception was that Tulane was a good medical school in an excellent location that liked non-traditional students, particularly those with a military background. So I applied and would have been overjoyed to have been accepted.

I'm very careful with things that are important to me. Given that the town has been heavily damaged, to such an extent that some questioned whether a culturally iconic American city might not be rebuilt, there's no way I want to risk the quality of my medical education by going there. I don't understand wanting to take a risk like that for no reason if there's any choice. If you think you might want to volunteer as a med student, you can do that anywhere. Heck, you can fly to New Orleans every summer and help them rebuild if you want to, while you isolate your academic year from the chaos...

i will go to Tulane if it is the ONLY school i get into. the fact is that the city is f*cked and that would make my next four years rather uneasy.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
I have friends from NOLA and they all told me not to apply. Certainly some degree of functionality will be back to the city by next fall, but I'm not at all sure it will be anything like normal life there for quite some time. I actually mailed in my secondary right before Katrina so it was apparently lost and I've decided to let inertia win.

I think it increased my desire to go there - imagine how tight a bond the next class will develop with each other! Not to mention the opportunity to be a part of the rebuilding of the community. I don't have a family though, so I could understand why some might not want to go there now.

MoosePilot said:
Given that the town has been heavily damaged, to such an extent that some questioned whether a culturally iconic American city might not be rebuilt

i dont have the time to respond in defense of tulane's future (nor do i really have a firm opinion on the matter), but i cant resist commenting on this...

it annoys me to no end when i hear people from elsewhere in the country talk of this, as if it was somebody in DC's decision whether or not WE rebuild our city. Yes this hurricane has caused some major damage, and yes it will take a while to rebuild new orleans and the surrounding area (stressing the latter) to its former glory (and i might add that i firmly believe it will be rebuilt far better than before). But what makes new orleans such a great place survived largely untouched. the CBD, french quarter and uptown fared relatively well and will be rebuilt quickly. Do not believe everything you see on tv, I still see footage from the first week after the hurricane being replayed to look like new film. I always knew the news stations were just out to make money and gain viewers, but it wasnt until this that i really realized how much crap they put forth as fact, both on TV and in newspapers and magazines too.

DaMota said:
i will go to Tulane if it is the ONLY school i get into. the fact is that the city is f*cked and that would make my next four years rather uneasy.
-mota

Haha, uneasy in the "big easy". (it was way too obvious)

studentstudent said:
Haha, uneasy in the "big easy". (it was way too obvious)

i actually thought nobody would catch it.
-mota

i had an interview that i still need to reschedule. i have other acceptances now, and i'm considering declining the interview which i never thought i would do.

Doc Holiday, I agree with you on the media issue. In terms of not having patients as someone's dad said, I am not sure I agree with that assumption. If anything, you will have more patients and there may be an even greater need for T1 and T2 students to help interact with them. I am just speculating on that, but there is defintely a city in need of medical attention. There are still many people that live there and more who will be coming back in the coming months. That said, keep in mind that you will not start clerkships in a hospital until year 3. I am sure things will be ok by then.

Doc.Holliday said:
i dont have the time to respond in defense of tulane's future (nor do i really have a firm opinion on the matter), but i cant resist commenting on this...

it annoys me to no end when i hear people from elsewhere in the country talk of this, as if it was somebody in DC's decision whether or not WE rebuild our city. Yes this hurricane has caused some major damage, and yes it will take a while to rebuild new orleans and the surrounding area (stressing the latter) to its former glory (and i might add that i firmly believe it will be rebuilt far better than before). But what makes new orleans such a great place survived largely untouched. the CBD, french quarter and uptown fared relatively well and will be rebuilt quickly. Do not believe everything you see on tv, I still see footage from the first week after the hurricane being replayed to look like new film. I always knew the news stations were just out to make money and gain viewers, but it wasnt until this that i really realized how much crap they put forth as fact, both on TV and in newspapers and magazines too.

It's unavoidable that when New Orleans proved itself unable to cope by itself and required extensive federal aid and will continue to need federal aid, that the nation believes it has a say in how it's money is spent. I doubt very highly that New Orleans can rebuild itself without help, but I halfway wish we'd see.