1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Tumor Lysis Syndrome and uric acid...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by CBG23, Aug 6, 2011.

1. CBG23

10+ Year Member

So I don't quite understand the specifics of Tumor Lysis Syndrome and all the sourcves I've looked at are not explicit about the following... I know that there is increased cell turnover and this leads to the release of DNA, RNA, and purines. Now, ultimately, these nucleic acids and purines are released into the circulation and are metabolized somewhere (in the circulation? in the liver?) to uric acid. I am curious as to where this metabolism actually takes place. Are there nucleases in the blood that break down DNA and RNA? If not, how do these large molecules get into someplace like the cells of the liver to be metabolized? Maybe this is something that just isn't known because of the sources I've looked at they very generally explain what is going on...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Xanthine oxidase is found in the liver

4. voidlogin

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  5. ArcGurren

ArcGurren only one will survive
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This. Also OP recall that there are a few organs through which a good portion of the blood supply passes. These have most of the metabolic enzymes, namely your kidney and liver.