TUNCOM vs KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brighterdaze

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope all is well. Thanks for the replies in advance.

So I am in the pickle of deciding between two of my top choices at KCUMB (Kansas City, Missouri) and TOURO NV(TUNCOM in Henderson, Nevada, close to Vegas). I am not basing my decision off a weather factor, I think they are pretty similar based on my research. I am just looking if someone has perhaps a more personal experience with either.

I loved both of my interviews at both schools.. having a hard time deciding here.

KCUMB
Pros:
-reputation of an established program
-great board scores, assuming due to great curriculum
-lovely campus

Cons:
-safety?
-not a fan of mid-west weather
-class size larger? (270)
-flanked by 2-3 medical schools in immediate area

TUNCOM
Pros:
*special note: TUNCOM does have a new dean that was a prior dean at KCU recently
-Location (weather is great)
-rotation sites at affiliated hospital all 4 years
-only one of two medical schools in the state (closest other one in Reno)

Cons:
-facilities weren't "as" impressive
-warehouse feel to the school campus

Similarities:
-match lists seem good for both

Any advice would be great, thank you for your time people.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a note, UNLV will have its first medical school class starting this year.

Oh damn, did not know that. Well that's one slightly less pro for Nevada. But it still has its teaching hospital affiliation.

special note: TUNCOM does have a new dean that was a prior dean at KCU recently

KCU is the "better" school. They have an in with a lot of the residency programs at the surrounding MD schools it seems. And just for note to the above, the guy was NOT the dean at KCU. He was a prior clinical dean, which isn't the same thing and he wasn't the brains behind the KCU curriculum like I've seen some people tout on here.

Reactions: 1 user
@AnatomyGrey12 Ah, I see. Thanks for the insight, I agree about the affiliations; seems like a double edged sword though. Still going tough none the less to decide for me. Thanks again.