Tuoro opening an MD school in NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradICUdoc

Why so Serious?????
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tuoro is opening an allopathic school in Florham Park, NJ that is in Conjucntion with the Stevens Institute of Technology. They will be accepting applicationsnext year for their first class in 2008

Members don't see this ad.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
Tuoro is opening an allopathic school in Florham Park, NJ that is in Conjucntion with the Stevens Institute of Technology. They will be accepting applicationsnext year for their first class in 2008

i'm assuming this would be a private school? and why can't they just open next year :mad:

EMT2ER-DOC said:

I didn't know they were going to take students for 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UC Riverside is planning on opening medical school too.

Here's the link ... to the committee report, http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/bme/touro/CommitteeReport.pdf]link

****EDIT Here's the article on the star ledger that they were approved (big surprised) here

Additionally, they don't have LCME approval yet, they needed the state medical approval first. Now they're going to the LCME

Read that committee report bulletin, I LOVED some of the numbers in there. :cool:

The medical school was actually part of McGreevey's secret boyfriend, Golan Cipel, blackmail offer.

"The caller, Timothy Saia, reportedly said that Mr. Cipel would agree not to go public with his charges if Mr. McGreevey granted a charter to Touro College, a New York City institution that has been unsuccessfully seeking to open a medical facility in New Jersey for months."

http://news.arcticnews.net/archive/aa_anc040816/oc1_A6.htm

Will Ferrell said:
The medical school was actually part of McGreevey's secret boyfriend, Golan Cipel, blackmail offer.

"The caller, Timothy Saia, reportedly said that Mr. Cipel would agree not to go public with his charges if Mr. McGreevey granted a charter to Touro College, a New York City institution that has been unsuccessfully seeking to open a medical facility in New Jersey for months."

:wow: I thought you were kidding at first.

Will Ferrell said:

You have NO idea how corrupt NJ politics are :mad: Why do you think this is all coming out now that McGreevey's gone. :rolleyes:

Also
ouro College now has 29 campuses, mostly in the New York area but also in California, Moscow and Israel. It was founded in 1970 in Midtown Manhattan by Dr. Bernard Lander, a former dean at Yeshiva University who wanted a secular-studies college aimed at a largely Jewish audience.

While its 16,000 student body is still heavily Jewish and heavily Orthodox, it also has more diverse campuses like one in East Harlem where most students are black or Hispanic.

Additionally the heavy jew population would be ideal for values of this institution. Not saying its based on it but the premisis for the original school. Coming full circle to serve its roots.

mshheaddoc said:
Why do you think this is all coming out now that McGreevey's gone. :rolleyes:

:confused: :confused: It was known that Cipel was trying to push McGreevey to allow the medical school a couple summers ago?

I wonder how Touro and Cipel were connected. I bet Touro would have given Cipel mad $$$ for the favor.

I meant that since things were pushed off with previous admin, now that there is a new administration (and the "scandal" at UMDNJ), now all these changes are being implemented. I wonder if things were hunky-dory at UMDNJ how this would play out.

mshheaddoc said:
I meant that since things were pushed off with previous admin, now that there is a new administration (and the "scandal" at UMDNJ), now all these changes are being implemented. I wonder if things were hunky-dory at UMDNJ how this would play out.

hey, dont know if u guys know yet, but this new school is an osteopathic one.

it was all over the osteopathic forum last week as the new DO school.

theunderdog said:
hey, dont know if u guys know yet, but this new school is an osteopathic one.

it was all over the osteopathic forum last week as the new DO school.
Actually, they just put it in the wrong forum. It is indeed an Allopathic institution which I had pointed out about 4 times. Apparently people just read the first few posts though.

LCME accredits allopathic institutions which Touro is currently in process of now applying to.

From committee report for BME of NJ:
The school seeks from the Board preliminary or conditional approval so that it can initiate
the accreditation process established by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education
("LCME"), with the understanding that ultimate licensure would be contingent upon full and
continuing accreditation. To evaluate the submissions, Bernard Robins, M.D., former
President of the Board, established a committee, to include several Board members and
the Board's Education Director Mary Blanks, M.D. School representatives, including Touro
President Bernard Lander, made an appearance before Drs. Robins and Board Member
Paul Mendelowitz, M.D. on November 2, 2005. The committee asked the assembled
representatives about the institution's financial preparedness, the physical facilities
expected, faculty commitments being sought, and curriculum envisioned. The members
present were persuaded that the school was intending to do all that would be required to
achieve LCME accreditation
. Although the committee members had initially been
concerned that the project would be under-funded, and that the moniesavailable would be
insufficient to establish an allopathic school, it was represented at the meeting that the
parent school was committed to make the project work and would provide the necessary
financial support as needed.

mshheaddoc said:
Actually, they just put it in the wrong forum. It is indeed an Allopathic institution which I had pointed out about 4 times. Apparently people just read the first few posts though.

LCME accredits allopathic institutions which Touro is currently in process of now applying to.

you are correct about it being allopathic (aamc : http://www.aamc.org/meded/cfws/enroll.pdf )

I think UMDNJ is mad because it would be in competition with their new medical school in Camden.

Will Ferrell said:
you are correct about it being allopathic (aamc : http://www.aamc.org/meded/cfws/enroll.pdf )

I think UMDNJ is mad because it would be in competition with their new medical school in Camden.

Yes, we were discussing this in the DO forum as well - it's going to be interesting to see how all this pans out, bc if UMDNJ opens up a campus in Camden (right now its just that students do rotations there, not their first 2 yrs) then there will be 5 medical schools in NJ: New Brunswick, Newark, Florham Park, Camden, and Stratford. The latter two of which would be, what, 10 miles from each other?? IMO Stratford's DO school would be the ultimate loser with this added competition...

This location just doesn't really make much sense because that would leave it a mere 20 miles umdnj-newark, 40 from columbia, nyu and the likes, and 40 miles from umdnj-new brunswick.

doesn't seem like really good location to start up a school when there are so many highly accredited ones right nearby.

Neuro27 said:
I think UC Riverside is planning on opening medical school too.

Anyone have any new info about this? The last I heard (2005) that UCR sent the proposal out to the Regents. I mean that would be awesome if they can get that up and running by 2007-2008 since thats when i'll apply;). More UC med schools = more chances:) :thumbup:

Doogie Howser said:
This location just doesn't really make much sense because that would leave it a mere 20 miles umdnj-newark, 40 from columbia, nyu and the likes, and 40 miles from umdnj-new brunswick.

doesn't seem like really good location to start up a school when there are so many highly accredited ones right nearby.

I think it's a fine idea. There are hundreds of qualified applicants who want to be doctors, but don't get accepted. Now, this will give these guys a better shot at becoming doctors. The more allopathic schools, the better.