Turned Down by Army Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretwave101

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing:

I applied for the Army Reserve Medical Corps, and was turned down flat. No explanation given. I'm starting FP residency in July, and I passed my MEPS physical with no problems.

Incidentally, the recruiter really managed to gain my trust. I'd finally decided to quit listening to people saying that recruiters can't be trusted. We rapped occasionally on the phone together, and I really believed I was more than just a number to her. Then when I was told I was a "non-select", I haven't heard one single thnhg from her again. It's been 3 weeks. I'd have expected at least a call of explanation...we'd been working together on this for almost 6 months.

I still can't figure out why I was denied. I'm in FP, which is supposed to be a critical shortage specialty. Two thoughts I have is that I have 4 kids, so maybe they don't want to deploy someone with that many dependents. I also graduated from a med school in Israel, so maybe they consider me a security threat.

Whatever. I tried to do my part.

Members don't see this ad.

secretwave101 said:
Interesting thing:

I applied for the Army Reserve Medical Corps, and was turned down flat. No explanation given. I'm starting FP residency in July, and I passed my MEPS physical with no problems.

Incidentally, the recruiter really managed to gain my trust. I'd finally decided to quit listening to people saying that recruiters can't be trusted. We rapped occasionally on the phone together, and I really believed I was more than just a number to her. Then when I was told I was a "non-select", I haven't heard one single thnhg from her again. It's been 3 weeks. I'd have expected at least a call of explanation...we'd been working together on this for almost 6 months.

I still can't figure out why I was denied. I'm in FP, which is supposed to be a critical shortage specialty. Two thoughts I have is that I have 4 kids, so maybe they don't want to deploy someone with that many dependents. I also graduated from a med school in Israel, so maybe they consider me a security threat.

Any service in a foreign military?
Were you born in Israel or outside of the USA?
Are you a U.S. citizen?
Are you a dual-citizen?
Any family members in Israel or elsewhere in the Middle East?

I know of AD who were born in Mandate Palestine (pre-founding of the State of Israel) who are treated as Israeli citizens when travelling in Israel (and are subject to exit taxes).

Unless there are new directives to prohibit persons educated in Middle East countries from commissioning, I can't think why you would be rejected.
Although the Jonathan Pollard case and others has probably placed any persons with Israeli connections seeking government employment under special scrutiny.

orbitsurgMD said:
Any service in a foreign military?
Were you born in Israel or outside of the USA?
Are you a U.S. citizen?
Are you a dual-citizen?
Any family members in Israel or elsewhere in the Middle East?

Born/raised suburbs of Colorado Springs, CO. Everyone in my fam lives in the country. Never served anywhere else. No other citizenships. Dad's Vietnam Vet, AF, honorably discharged forever ago.

Best friend from med school doing AF FAP, so my school program (Ben Gurion University collaborated with Columbia U) shouldn't have been an issue with the Army.

Seems strange. Recruiter thought it was an error, but hasn't contacted me for weeks now. Maybe they're still working on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
secretwave101 said:
Born/raised suburbs of Colorado Springs, CO. Everyone in my fam lives in the country. Never served anywhere else. No other citizenships. Dad's Vietnam Vet, AF, honorably discharged forever ago.

Best friend from med school doing AF FAP, so my school program (Ben Gurion University collaborated with Columbia U) shouldn't have been an issue with the Army.

Seems strange. Recruiter thought it was an error, but hasn't contacted me for weeks now. Maybe they're still working on it.

Just curious (as an aside), what kind of recruitment package were the offering you? Loan repayment, bonus, stipend...? Thanks, sorry you got turned away, maybe it is good for you though.

Just as well. this diplomatic olive branch we're extending Iran is just a smokescreen. We're going to do them and when we do, we'll be there for 50 years.

alpha62 said:
Just as well. this diplomatic olive branch we're extending Iran is just a smokescreen. We're going to do them and when we do, we'll be there for 50 years.

You've been watching too much CNN (by which I mean any inch-deep profit-driven sensational American TV news channel).

CNN is far more biased then FOX News, right? ****ing neo-con piece of ****.

To the OP

I bet they did a background check on you, and dissed your application. Seriously.

Look on the bright side. At least you're not in the military.

xTNS

secretwave101 said:
Incidentally, the recruiter really managed to gain my trust.
You do realize this is their job. That is what they do.
secretwave101 said:
I'd finally decided to quit listening to people saying that recruiters can't be trusted. We rapped occasionally on the phone together, and I really believed I was more than just a number to her. Then when I was told I was a "non-select", I haven't heard one single thnhg from her again. It's been 3 weeks. I'd have expected at least a call of explanation...we'd been working together on this for almost 6 months.
So what do you think now? I'm sure they're busily working on your package. :rolleyes:

secretwave101 said:
I still can't figure out why I was denied. I'm in FP, which is supposed to be a critical shortage specialty. Two thoughts I have is that I have 4 kids, so maybe they don't want to deploy someone with that many dependents.
The better question is why would you want to deploy with 4 kids?
secretwave101 said:
You can still do your part after you graduate if you wish. You can do your part for country without serving in the military.

Forgive my tone but I just found out that a kid I had spent time explaining the good & bad of the military signed up and called me from WRAMC as a patient. Had a little IED issue in Iraq. He's loving life but somehow I "encouraged him to join and his injuries are my fault". I have voicemails, emails, and an irate friend of a friend's mother coming to chew me a new one. :mad:

He blames YOU for his injuries?
Amazing.
Is he head-injured?

Certainly, you're not to blame. If anyone is bear responsiblity, its the Bush admin's misguided attempts at colonize Iraq with insfufficient intel, material, and personnel.

Why does Rummy still have a job?

navysurgeon said:

Actually, by "any" I really, no-kidding, literally meant the word "any". I think that the dumbing-down of news is an inevitable result of presenting it in an entertainment-prone format.

But my post was dangerously close to getting into a public political argument, which I have a personal policy against doing, so I shouldn't have posted it. My apologies to all.

No problem.

I'm certain that you're a good person.

navysurgeon said:
I'm certain that you're a good person.
For all you know I could be an axe murderer.

navysurgeon said:
He blames YOU for his injuries?
Amazing.
Is he head-injured?

Certainly, you're not to blame. If anyone is bear responsiblity, its the Bush admin's misguided attempts at colonize Iraq with insfufficient intel, material, and personnel.

Why does Rummy still have a job?
No....not him but the rest of his family. Just got off the phone with my own mother and got chastised like I was still some 20 year old. ;)

The kid's perfect for the military....passive-aggressive....so he's no doubt lied to everyone about everything.

No worries......he'll heal. I've got thick skin and broad shoulders...just wasn't prepared for this one. Last I heard he was off to college turns out it was basic. At least he's doing his part....sure glad he got that MBA, I'm sure it's helping him as an enlisted grunt.

Like I said I'm a bit salty right now. :laugh:

Hey Secretwave 101,

I've had a similar problem with the reserve...although mine was on the front-end. Because of a prior med condition, I was initially told that I could not receive the waiver to proceed with the rest of the application process. But I worked with my recruiter to get my waiver a second look, through the help of one of the attendings in my med school who is a retired colonel.

If you're still interested in doing this, may I suggest a few things which my recruiter suggested to me:

1) contact your local congressman to plead your case
2) easier still, if you know of an attending from your med school who is involved in the military, see if he/she can request a second look on their behalf.

I realize that your denial of the application is a bit different, but there's nothing to lose by having someone influential with the army make a request on your behalf.

Good luck,
Asianmd

secretwave101 said:
Interesting thing:

If they're jerking you around during the courtship period, what do you think the honeymoon is going to be like ?

Croooz said:
You do realize this is their job. That is what they do.

Fair enough. However, the rap on recruiters is that they don't really care about anything but signing up new recruits, although they present themselves as friends and confidants...whatever works. I'd finally dispelled those notions about my own recruiter. We arent' best friends or anything, but I expected at least a final explanation call if the deal really was dead, or some updates if things are still being reviewed. From my perspective, helpfulness in her book seems to only extend as long as she can benefit from being so.

Croooz said:
The better question is why would you want to deploy with 4 kids?

I don't. But I was, as I said, willing to do my part.

Having gone to med school in Israel during Desert Storm II, I had the pleasure of trying gas masks on my 3 little girls and making a gas-proof room in our apartment. Those, and many other experiences, made me willing to lay it on the line with my countrymen as much as I responsibly could (thus reserves rather than active).

navysurgeon said:

Dont forget that CNN has admitted doing puff pieces on Iraq (pre war), and outright lying about very bad people.....Look up Eason Jordan for more info.

asianmd said:
but there's nothing to lose by having someone influential with the army make a request on your behalf.
actually you lose 8.

So it takes a retired colonel to get someone a waiver to join a specialty that is hurting for physicians..... You don't see anything wrong with this?

Sheeesh! I'm all for informed people joining but when you work this hard to get butt raked and it takes a colonel to make it happen...

If it's FM why not join the public health? All the bennies and pay of active duty and none of the hardship. It's not without its problems but much better deployment schedule. ;)

The kids shouldn't be a problem, if they need you they send you.

I would call or walk into the recruiter and make sure there wasn't some kind of error on your application(a fairly common occurance). Persitance may be the key to getting where you want to go, also talk to the other services about their offers (such as Air Force Reserve) and mention this to your Army recuiter. They are usually pretty competitive and don't want to lose a good canidate to another branch.

Good Luck.