Turning 30 and re-evaluating med school aspirations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, to help my application further, I can take even more post-bacc classes (like more advanced bio) to further improve my GPA, but my GPA is already a 3.75.

Pizzabooty... can you tell us you're entire stats I feel like we are missing something, or atleast I was from your stats.

a 26 really isn't that low of an MCAT and a 3.75 is excelletn for postbac... BUTTTT.... and that is one big BUTTTTTT, how was your undergrad?

Furthermore, you're seeming to suggest that you didn't take any advanced bio in undergrad... I would like you to spell out your undergrad years, what you took and what you overall got in terms of GPA...

Then what have you done in your post bac years...

I believe we will be able to give you a much more complete answer.

Members don't see this ad.

1) STFU and apply to an osteopathic med school. You considered Carribean? F that. Do the DO route. You're still an f'n doc, and I bet they'd welcome you with open arms. COMs love non-trads. There was a 55-yo guy I met this past week at UNECOM. That got a big WTF out of me, but it can be done.

I very much agree.

In the final analysis, when you're on your deathbed, will it have been worth it to have regrets like "Gee I should have been a doctor" ? Because THAT one is the only question that matters.

Absolutely; that is one of the points I was attempting to make as well.

I actively resisted being a doctor for years. But now that I've made my decision, all the cons don't seem so significant anymore. In the meantime, all you're doing is wasting more time: procrastinating, and in the meantime, you're only getting older.

Cheers.

:lol: I think I also resisted being a physician for many years of my life. I went every which way but that direction. However, this is not to say that I didn't benefit from that resistance. On the contrary; it's been a very rich and fulfilling ride, to say the least. Then, like you, when I realized that there really wasn't anything else that could fill that desire in me, I made it happen.

Good luck, OP. I hope you can come to some sense of peace, whatever choice you make.

No, my mind isn't made up at all. I have no idea whether or not to re-apply or to just forget about it and pursue some other career (that would be settling in my mind). I've worked with several career counselors this year and haven't been able to gain any additional clarity. It's just that medicine is such a long, hard path. I have the passion for it (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do a post-bacc and re-take the MCAT twice, all after getting a law degree), and I loved working in the OR, (and love being back in medical research now), but I just don't know what to do.

As for why I didn't get any interviews.....I'm really not sure. My personal statement was great, according to my pre-med advisors. I can't remember who I asked for my LORs. The low MCAT score, of course, was probably the main factor. Also, I took the August MCAT, so although I submitted my AMCAS as soon as possible (in June) it probably wasn't looked at by schools until October.

I'd like to help. I'm 29 in June. Let me try to clarify things for you. How come you're seeing it as a long and hard road? You're in a very similar position as I, except you've got a whole lot of other credentials behind you. Practically all I have is sincere passion, but it's getting me to where I need to be. If I thought med school and fellowship and all that was just a long hard road to a future goal, i'd throw my hands up right now and sell houses... of course the market sucks for that, but maybe i'd sell commercial real estate or something. hahahahah

Dude if you can't diagnose the issue, I don't know what to tell you. It sound to me, though, like when admissions read your statements, they caught wind that you've shifted to medicine because you got bored of law and they assume you're going to make another shift down the road...

Couldn't tell you though, it's speculation. Sounds like if you're willing to give up the dream, you haven't made it real for yourself, that's all I'm saying. Find your inner-light and see in what direction it's shining.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what if medicine doesn't turn out to be as wonderful as one thinks as a pre-med? That's a big concern of mine. I mean, the prospect of worrying about being sued is a major negative about medicine for me. Huge. I'm concerned that the stress of worrying about this (especially if one wants to go into a higher-risk specialty) will negate the other great things about medicine. Of course, there are many other negatives about medicine and being a practicing physician besides just being sued. I felt that my year working full-time in the hospital really helped me see all the negatives about medicine.

Is anyone else concerned that they're putting medicine up on too high of a pedestal, when another career in healthcare might offer similar pros (or fewer pros) but also fewer cons? For me, medicine has a lot of great pros--more so than any other career, but the cons are huge--more so than any other career. I'm struggling with that. What do you do when there are so many great reasons for pursuing medicine as a career--but so many huge negatives to it as well?

A really great IM doctor and professor, etc. at Temple Medical told us once
if you're worried about being sued and practicing defensive medicine, BE A LAWYER!!!

The point is if you're PRACTICING GOOD MEDICINE, you won't have to live in fear. Be able to substantiate what you do, and KEEP GOOD RECORDS, and you'll be fine. Don't let your imagination get carried away before you even start.

Also, sounds like you spent all of your time in hospitals. Maybe you should get out and speak with some doctors in private practice.

You still have never answered the question about whether or not you applied to Osteopathic medical schools. Did you? I doubt it. They would probably accept you with open arms. You should find one (a DO) and shadow so that you can dismiss any so called negative feelings you have about this route to become a physician. If you really want to practice medicine, Osteopathic medicine will probably be your only chance!

I'm taking a shot in the dark but I think he did apply to Osteopathy schools.

This is not at all meant to be harsh, but it is probably going to come off that way. :)

I just read this entire posting, and I have become annoyed with you. Why you ask? You obviously have very genuine concern about whether or not you should take the MCAT again, apply to medical school again, or pursue something else. Everyone has given you pages of advice, and you continually respond with more questions and concerns regarding what you should do and if it is worth it. You constantly mention that you can't see yourself doing anything else other than medicine.

Well here is your answer in a nutshell (what everyone else has been trying to get across to you): if you really really want to pursue medicine, then pursue it! Forget about what others think about you doing this and just do it! If you want to pursue something related to surgery, but do not want to push forward toward your MD/DO, then pursue a surgical tech, or perhaps nursing and do OR nursing. But when other people mentioned that, you said "well I want to pursue medicine".. well pursue medicine then! No one here can tell you to do it or not to do it, and no one here can do the "soul-searching" for you. It is up to you and no one else.

A really great IM doctor and professor, etc. at Temple Medical told us once
if you're worried about being sued and practicing defensive medicine, BE A LAWYER!!!

The point is if you're PRACTICING GOOD MEDICINE, you won't have to live in fear. Be able to substantiate what you do, and KEEP GOOD RECORDS, and you'll be fine. Don't let your imagination get carried away before you even start.

Also, sounds like you spent all of your time in hospitals. Maybe you should get out and speak with some doctors in private practice.

I'm not sure "defensive medicine" means what you (or this doctor) think. What you describe as "practicing good medicine" in terms of substantiation is, in fact, part of defensive medicine. Maintaining good records is a big part of what is deemed defensive and what all too often lawyers who get hit with medmal failed to do. So actually if you don't want to practice defensive medicine, you probably should be in a different industry. What I'm sure that your doctor was referring to was over-ordering of tests, but that is but one component of defensive.

FWIW, lawyers carry malpractice insurance and get sued frequently too. They invented the notion of CYA. So if you don't want to play defensive or want to avoid suits, this is certainly the wrong field. Go work for the government -- they are much harder to sue.

Here's what it boils down to: are you willing to put up with the kindergarten bullcrap of medical school (tedious assignments, lots of paperwork, lots of hours) for 4 years plus a long and hard residency? I'm about to finish med school at 30, and it's been a wonderful experience but if I had a family already I know I'd be missing out right now. That said -- can you get in? I'm surprised you didn't yet. If you go for the mcat again it might be something that you'll knock the cover off, but if you didn't get it the 1st and 2nd time I'd rethink it. Yeah, doc make a lot of money, but I think what you should do is be a PA. You can make in the 70-80s in many jobs, and it's really only a 2-2.5 year program with no residency. Best part: it's shift work and you don't get sued. In short: if you want the easy way out b/c you're just tired of not having a plan and you want to start earning money then do PA.

re. the "lukewarm" career:

Your career will still be there after the kids are grown, and (50/50 chance, after all) after your divorce. Not having a career is no insurance against your personal life going to hell.

While it is true that no one on their deathbed says "I should have spent more time at the office", some people do say "I wish I'd done more with my life". Having kids is not always a cure-all, because most of the people who have done "more" career-wise also have kids, as your deathbed self will realize.

If you want children and your husband (and his career) are not flexible, and there are no other family caregivers around, you will have to rely on paid child care. You'll be a doctor, you can afford it. You worry about being stressed, but you said you liked medicine for the adrenaline, so what's wrong with a little stress? It's what, like 10 or 15 years out of your upcoming 40 active years? (Doctors often retire late; they like their work.) If you honestly cannot imagine how you will be able to manage your life over the next ten years (I recommend having kids in residency as opposed to med school BTW), then you have either a very limited imagination or poor planning ability, and maybe should not try to undertake this path. There are just so many ways to make it work, even with your constraints.

If you do go down this path and need something to shut your family up, I recommend the book "The Feminine Mistake" by Leslie Bennetts.

I agree that you should be more than 50/50 before doing it. Instead of focusing on the obstacles and problems, start thinking about ways around them. For every obstacle you have named, there are three or four ways around it. Some, like debt, are merely psychological obstacles. (You realize that debt is only a problem if you don't wind up practicing medicine, don't you?) Hell, even flagging motivation and disappointment can be overcome; it's called focusing on the positive and getting excited about it, meaning yes, a certain level of self-delusion, but what can I say: therein lies long-term happiness. (In both relationships and careers, for that matter.) It's all about the narrative, baby.

Good luck, OP.

(p.s. I'm a 30-year-old Med1 who is loving every minute of it, at least when I choose to focus on the positive).

This is not at all meant to be harsh, but it is probably going to come off that way. :)

I just read this entire posting, and I have become annoyed with you. Why you ask? You obviously have very genuine concern about whether or not you should take the MCAT again, apply to medical school again, or pursue something else. Everyone has given you pages of advice, and you continually respond with more questions and concerns regarding what you should do and if it is worth it. You constantly mention that you can't see yourself doing anything else other than medicine.

Well here is your answer in a nutshell (what everyone else has been trying to get across to you): if you really really want to pursue medicine, then pursue it! Forget about what others think about you doing this and just do it! If you want to pursue something related to surgery, but do not want to push forward toward your MD/DO, then pursue a surgical tech, or perhaps nursing and do OR nursing. But when other people mentioned that, you said "well I want to pursue medicine".. well pursue medicine then! No one here can tell you to do it or not to do it, and no one here can do the "soul-searching" for you. It is up to you and no one else.

Yes, this thread has become pretty unbelievable. From reading this whole thing two things seem clear to me:

1. It is not worth it to you.
2. You loved working in the operating room.

Everyone has been a good SDNer and recommended that you follow your dream, give it your best shot, really go for it, etc, etc. That's usually what these kinds of posts ask for: encouragement. But you're not having any of it. I guess I don't see why it would be so wrong to return to a job in the OR when it was the one and only thing you've actually liked doing. What exactly was your position in the OR? Is it the salary that prevents you from considering it as a career? Is prestige a big factor in all of your career angst? There are lots of jobs that would allow you to work in this environment, which you know for certain that you enjoy. You could be a surg tech, as sistermike suggested, a PA, or a nurse anesthetist (this job has decent salary and lifestyle) all of which would allow you to spend your livelong days in the OR.

:luck:

Throwing out another career thought -- you could be a medical device sales person. From my understanding, they actually do hang out with surgeons and go into the OR, and they make lots of money.

To the OP, it looks like some folks here are becoming frustrated with your responses to their thoughtful advice. Given my experience, I thought I’d weigh in. Bear with me, because this is a long post (for a long thread). One member noted that you may want to consider therapy and he/she may be right. I say this because it seems like you have a number of interacting issues which are causing you some socio-emotional paralysis. Consequently, you’re stuck in a career holding pattern.

One issue that stands out to me is your fear of failure. You seemed to be saying that you worked very hard to get to where you are now, even in your post-bacc program. Unfortunately, you did not gain admission when you applied to med school. Given the work you've put into your extensive education so far, could you be living in fear of failure? You imply that your work so far has been unfulfilling and, by extension, a kind of failure. By deciding for certain that you will pursue medicine at any cost, do you feel compelled to succeed despite the rigors of med school and residency? As someone who will have to give up the better part of your 30s to pursue medicine, do you fear that if you fail, all your efforts will be lost and you’ll have to admit defeat? Maybe you’re thinking that your work so far is a failure and therefore, med school will also be another (rather expensive) failure? These kinds of fears can decimate your ability to succeed, or even to move forward.

If you really want medicine as your career (at the physician level), you simply must decide that you will pursue that goal with everything you can muster. I do not believe there is any magic to this process. You weigh the situation as best you can and then you must choose. Once you decide to go ahead, you should be putting your absolute greatest effort into the whole process, from researching the schools (and types), programs, options, and everything else. Give it 110%. Fear of failure can control your every move and in many cases leave you with virtually nothing in the end. All of life requires some risk-taking.

I am speaking from experience. I too was fearful of failing, so I went into the field of psychology; but that choice was a terrible mistake. Psychology is not the career I wanted. It was merely convenient and mildly interesting. When you’re young, that may be reason enough to pursue a career. When you’re older, you realize that you have to spend every single day waking up and commuting in to do your work. Your life will be a hell of a lot more bearable when you enjoy what you're doing. Can you choose something outside of medicine and settle for that? Sure, you can. I'm doing it right now. Is this how I want to live every day of my life? No way.

I look back now and wish that before I started my PhD program, I had stopped at the MA-level and jumped right into a post-bacc program. I listened to too many people who said that no 29 year old guy could go to med school because that’s just too old. Now, I'm 35 and have wasted these years and I certainly could have been in med school. I wasn’t sure, so I didn’t do anything except stay on track where I was. I’ll even admit that I’m not terribly good at what I do because I simply do not find it very interesting. Settling for a different career when medicine is what you really want is not the answer.

If being a physician truly is your passion, you need to find a way around the fear. It's stopping you from reaching your goal. If you truly want it and you're prepared to work for it and make the sacrifices, you can do it. Once it's over, you're a physician forever. Each day you can wake up and say that you are doing something you love. How many people really get to say that? In my experience, very few. My daughter's pediatrician is 80 years old but she sees patients 2 days per week because she loves it so much.

Now that I've waited all these years, belaboring the point, I am still not a physician and now I’m 5 years older. Had I quit grad school, decided on med school, and just DONE it, I would be nearing completion of my MD by now. Instead, I am stuck in a job I do not like, finishing a PhD dissertation I couldn't care less about; and it was all preventable if I hadn't given in to the fear of failure. Now, I have long way to go to catch up.

I hope this helps you, OP. You seem anxious, confused, and even a bit depressed. You sound like you’re making excuses to avoid having anyone tell you Yes, you should give it another go and get yourself into a med school. Once you have that answer, you will be obligated to see it through. Then, you’ll truly be tested to your limits. You’ve done a lot in your life and you can earn your MD too, but you have to decide and then fully act on that decision. A previous poster said you have to take a leap of faith. I think that’s totally true.

Seeking a good therapist (you will need to shop around) with whom you can work on these issues may be what you need. It could have you back on track in a few months, ready to conquer your fears. You could be graduating as an MD or DO in 5 years! If that thought thrills you, you really should consider mastering your fears by working with a professional, and really making a solid commitment to go out there and get what you want.

^ Mojo1313, I've worked with a number of therapists and coaches, some world-class, and I have to say, you are giving really good advice in your post above. I really appreciate the perspective that you just gave our OP. :thumbup:

^ Mojo1313, I've worked with a number of therapists and coaches, some world-class, and I have to say, you are giving really good advice in your post above. I really appreciate the perspective that you just gave our OP. :thumbup:

You're very kind, spicedmanna. Thanks for that feedback. I hope my experience, while difficult for me, can serve to help others who are uncertain about their paths. I would like to think that my age and experiences can be used as an asset instead of a liability.:oops: