Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Turning down acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ngkats, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First off, let me issue the disclaimer that my "problem" is really a problem at all and I am extremely lucky to have been accepted to three allopathic schools. That said, here goes:

I had what I thought was a great interview at 'school A'. I loved the facilities, the students, and the faculty. I especially got along with my interviewer--he took extra time to tour me around some offices that I wouldn't normally get to see (at least that's what I was told). Other staff that day made sure there was a spot for me (and lab clothes) to observe part of an anatomy dissection.

I just found out I was accepted to this school. And after I was accepted, my interviewer, in addition to a formal email sent by the dean, sent me an email congratulating me and commenting I would be a great addition to the class and that he really hoped I would attend; I responded by thanking him for the email.

But I have also gotten in to another school--'school B'--which is, by US news standards, higher tier than the previously 'school A', and is in a much better location (in my opinion), and I have family in the area. In other words, I want to attend B instead of A.

So, what is the best way to inform this school that I will not attend when this interviewer was so kind and helpful (along with other faculty/students/staff that day)?

Has anybody else had this qualm?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I haven't been in this situation, but I am sure that they have encountered this before and will understand. Many schools can be a good fit, but looks like you've decided that another school is the best fit, and that's cool.

I'd send emails to the admissions office (and the interviewer, if you really want to) saying that while you are grateful for the acceptance and for the kindness that was shown to you during your visit, you have decided that another institution is a better fit for you. I don't think that this is a huge deal at all (i.e. I don't think they're going to be "mad" at you and hold it against you). Congrats!

4. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks! I really appreciate the advice.

5. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup: Honestly though, this does not have to be done for several months. Sure let the school know now if you're for sure not going to attend, for the sake of other applicants if nothing else. But if there's any doubt (say with the inclusion of a great aid package) then hold off until you have everything in from every school and can make direct comparisons.

6. 202781

Pre-Medical
    I have/ am in this situation right now. I got accepted to 5 MD programs before christmas and I have already withdrawn from 2 that I know I would not go to over University of Southern California.

My interviewers were really nice at both schools and one spent like 1/4th of the interview trying to convince me to go to her school. She also sent me a note saying "congratz on the acceptance we hope you choose ***** medical school, really enjoyed talking to you about ________, if there is anything I can do..."

As great of a bond as you had with this interviewer, they understand that it is a financial/personal decision that every applicant has to make. If I were you I would send a personal letter to that person who sent you the note saying how you loved the school but you just got into a school you were not expecting to that is right next to family which is the reason you will not be attending "school A".

Good luck partner!

7. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks buddy! I think that's a pretty good idea. Good luck with yours too.