turning down an allo school to apply osteo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lost13242

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(i suppose this is another "what are my chances" thread, so i'm sorry about that)

hi, i'm in a tough situation right now. summary is that i applied to allo schools last year and was only accepted to one school which left a bad impression on me. i'm considering reapplying this cycle, but realize that turning down an allo school will hurt my chances of getting into any other allo school. i'm looking into osteo schools and think i may be happier attending an osteo school than the allo i was accepted to.

i'm thinking i could apply now, try to shadow a d.o. soon, and hopefully get a letter of rec by the time my app is processed and secondaries arrive

my question is, given my situation, are my chances of getting into an osteo worse than normal? will i have to reveal that i turned down an allo school? will osteo schools look unfavorably at me? will i have to reveal that i'm concurrently applying to allo again?

other info:
mcat 32, gpa 3.7, took year off after college and didn't do anything medically related.

Members don't see this ad.

lost13242 said:
(i suppose this is another "what are my chances" thread, so i'm sorry about that)

hi, i'm in a tough situation right now. summary is that i applied to allo schools last year and was only accepted to one school which left a bad impression on me. i'm considering reapplying this cycle, but realize that turning down an allo school will hurt my chances of getting into any other allo school. i'm looking into osteo schools and think i may be happier attending an osteo school than the allo i was accepted to.

i'm thinking i could apply now, try to shadow a d.o. soon, and hopefully get a letter of rec by the time my app is processed and secondaries arrive

my question is, given my situation, are my chances of getting into an osteo worse than normal? will i have to reveal that i turned down an allo school? will osteo schools look unfavorably at me? will i have to reveal that i'm concurrently applying to allo again?

other info:
mcat 32, gpa 3.7, took year off after college and didn't do anything medically related.

I dunno how your admissions activities will affect your chances, but just from your numbers you have a better chance than most. If I were you I would try to get some clinical experience and shadow some D.O.s and get ready to start my first year really soon. :D

You might want to consider telling them that you turned down an acceptance to an allopathic school. However, slip in that the reason you turned it down was because during that application cycle, you discovered how amazing OMT is, and decided it was osteopathic or nothing.

The interviewer might just climb over the desk and give you a hug right there.

I'll agree with the other dude in the floor above me, I'd be surprised if you didn't get accepted to a couple of DO schools, unless you tank the interviews completely, or there is something in your application you aren't telling us.

Members don't see this ad :)
why did you even apply to the allo school if you are going to turn down its acceptance.

That's exactly my story and I received three osteo acceptances this cycle. Don't worry, just make sure that the reason you're applying to DO school is because you really want to be a DO. I got asked about it in all of my interviews.

Good luck.

drmanyee999 said:
That's exactly my story and I received three osteo acceptances this cycle. Don't worry, just make sure that the reason you're applying to DO school is because you really want to be a DO. I got asked about it in all of my interviews.

Good luck.

can you tell me a little more about how that went? did they grill you about why you turned down an allo acceptance and are reapplying? did they accept your answer or keep questioning you?

Love it!. I was holding an allo spot at my state school becasue I had been wait listed at every DO school I interviewed at. Got pulled off Touro's list and said later to Arizona.

lost13242 said:

other info:

kjb875fd said:
can you tell me a little more about how that went? did they grill you about why you turned down an allo acceptance and are reapplying? did they accept your answer or keep questioning you?

They didn't grill me. The way it came up was they asked if I had applied to med schools the previous year, I said yes and very briefly explained the situation without going into specifics (ie exactly why I had turned down the spot, the school etc). That satisfied them entirely.

First, you should not have a bad impression. Getting into one school, MD or DO, is a great accomplishment. Give some thought as to why you are turning down the acceptance. Do not make that decision lightly; there are no guarantees. Also, do you really want to go through the whole process (application fees, essays, interviews, travel to interviews, etc.) again?

If you still feel that you should reapply, by all means do so. Your decision will not hurt your chances; that's one of those applicant myths. For one, it is not even clear to me that any school, allo or osteo, would know about your decision, outside of the one you turned down, unless you actually matriculated (e.g., accepted their admissions offer). In that latter case, you do need to provide some explanation on the AMCAS, I think. Second, assuming you have good reasons, you should feel free to explain those reasons if asked during interviews. Just make sure you have a better reason than just having a bad impression of the application process.

Good reasons for turning down an acceptance: financial aid situation, location, change in personal situation between application and acceptance, did not find school to be a good match during interview visit, honest desire to explore DO degree option.