Turning down an employment opportunity due to moral objection of nepotism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeezuswest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So short story short, I was able to use my familial ties to a local hospital to gain access to an employment opportunity that I most likely otherwise would not have been able to attain. This employment opportunity would be a great clinical experience for me, but I just feel like there might be someone out there who needs the job more and who applied but didn't get it. So I'm thinking of turning down the job.

Does this sound crazy? Or is this just an excuse for me to remain unemployed for the summer? :p

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds a little crazy I'll admit :p I think that if you have the ties and it got you the job, don't fret over it. It's not like this is something horrible that you got, it's just a job. If it will benefit you take it in my opinion. At the end of the day many people get things in society due to their connections so if you have them, use them!

I think if I was in your shoes I would take the job and bust my butt to make sure I had earned it in the end.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One day someone with connections will oust you out of a different job opportunity. It's ok, it happens. You're not doing anything unethical.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who is in their current job due to familial ties, take my advice and do yourself a favor and take the job. The fear of people saying that you only have the job because of who you know - - that should motivate the hell out of you. Go kick ass.

Take the job and prove to yourself that you deserve it. It sounds like you're a bit nervous that the job could be over your head or somehow scary. Don't make excuses. Just do it.

Smart people use nepotism to their advantage. The others don't. Nepotism doesn't mean you suck. It means you got lucky, so take it and run.

Reactions: 1 users
Connections are a part of life. Not using them is stupid, quite frankly. It's not like you're getting some high-level position you don't deserve, it's some low-level job where you can prove your worth. Enjoy being lazy though I guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Take it. You'll burn your family contact and the employer may shed a negative light on your family contact for vouching for you.

Reactions: 1 user
You're learning how the world works!
Don't turn down a great opportunity.

So short story short, I was able to use my familial ties to a local hospital to gain access to an employment opportunity that I most likely otherwise would not have been able to attain. This employment opportunity would be a great clinical experience for me, but I just feel like there might be someone out there who needs the job more and who applied but didn't get it. So I'm thinking of turning down the job.

Does this sound crazy? Or is this just an excuse for me to remain unemployed for the summer? :p

I understand your moral reservations, and even share them to some degree -- But do realize that the 'next person in line' for the job you got is most likely someone else's son/daughter/niece/nephew etc. and is no more disadvantaged than you are, so that by turning down this job, you are only embarrassing the person that helped you get it and not actually helping those in need. Know also that you will be able to do far more good for disadvantaged people by actually becoming a physician and helping them then, than by giving your summer volunteering spot to the next well-connected pre-med. If you have the opportunity for "great clinical experience" grab it!

Unless it's just an excuse for you to remain unemployed for the summer? :p

You don't think connections work outside of family? You don't think that the people you meet while in Residency will help you get a job after? Why are acquaintances OK but family not OK?

You can take the moral high ground, but is going to be a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reactions: 2 users