Turning Down Offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoinBack2Cali?

it used to be so cool
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the "safest" way to approach this? Email, Call, Snail Mail?

While I would very much like to send something like this:

"Dear Admissions Office,
Thank you for taking the time to review my application and generously offering me a position in the Fall '07 class. I am well aware that you have high standards in determining which select few applicants, out of the many thousands of applications you receive, are admitted to your incoming class. I am equally certain that you are well aware that I too have high standards in determining which school I shall be attending for the next few years. Much as the review process that your department goes through with applications, I have conducted a similar review process through my acceptances, and while I would like to attend each of the schools that have accepted me, I find myself limited to only attending one. It is with deepest regret that I must inform you that, despite your prestigious credentials, I am unable to accept a seat in your incoming class. Please realize that there are many other worthy candidates that would eagerly accept the position that you have so generously offered me. I wish you the best of luck in the rest of this year’s admission cycle.
Sincerely,
Thanks but no thanks."

I know that would be stupid and just wrong. This whole process has sucked so much, and while we have been jumping through hoops since June, this is the first time we are in the driver's seat. But seriously, how is everyone approaching this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd tried to call school's that called me, to offer the same amount of respect. It's obviously tough to reach the people that called you though. So I resorted to email. Email is quickest and easiest. And for people waiting on the waitlist, the quicker you withdraw, the better off they are. I think snail mail is unnecessary and email is such an accepted form of conversation at this point.

Just be sure to keep on them for your deposit, or they'll "forget".

"Dear Admissions Office,
Thank you for taking the time to review my application and generously offering me a position in the Fall '07 class. I am well aware that you have high standards in determining which select few applicants, out of the many thousands of applications you receive, are admitted to your incoming class. I am equally certain that you are well aware that I too have high standards in determining which school I shall be attending for the next few years. Much as the review process that your department goes through with applications, I have conducted a similar review process through my acceptances, and while I would like to attend each of the schools that have accepted me, I find myself limited to only attending one. It is with deepest regret that I must inform you that, despite your prestigious credentials, I am unable to accept a seat in your incoming class. Please realize that there are many other worthy candidates that would eagerly accept the position that you have so generously offered me. I wish you the best of luck in the rest of this year’s admission cycle.
Sincerely,
Thanks but no thanks."

I know that would be stupid and just wrong. This whole process has sucked so much, and while we have been jumping through hoops since June, this is the first time we are in the driver's seat. But seriously, how is everyone approaching this?

I'd just like to point out, that you sending that letter to them will not make up for the other schools who had rejected you. This school was unlike other schools, and accepted you, so should they be the ones to recieve that type of letter? The schools who rejected you are the ones who deserve mean letters, but sadly, there is no way to get back at them. So i insist, write this school a very nice letter, because they chose you.

Members don't see this ad :)

"Dear Admissions Office,
Sincerely,
Thanks but no thanks."

It's fun to imagine sending certain schools a letter like that, but it's never a good idea to burn your bridges. Remember, you're going to be doing this whole nasty process again in four years for residency. :p

I sent emails to my schools. In the email, I specified something about the school that I had really liked. Then I said that unfortunately I would not be able to accept the spot in their class, as I had decided to go elsewhere. Just make it short, polite, and to the point, and you can't go wrong. :luck: to you.

It's fun to imagine sending certain schools a letter like that, but it's never a good idea to burn your bridges. Remember, you're going to be doing this whole nasty process again in four years for residency. :p

I sent emails to my schools. In the email, I specified something about the school that I had really liked. Then I said that unfortunately I would not be able to accept the spot in their class, as I had decided to go elsewhere. Just make it short, polite, and to the point, and you can't go wrong. :luck: to you.

Do you think they still remember you four years from now ,with 18000 of applicants with excellent "fake it" attitude and 2000 of interesting real applicants in between.

Yes, the whole process is not a wondeful experience but take the "high road". Send an e-mail followed up with a letter that contains the same information as found in the e-mail. Thank them for the experience and politely decline their offer.

Don't start your professional career by doing something that is "juvenile". The world of medicine is smaller than you would believe and people tend to remember the "jerks". Don't be one of them. It can come back to "bite" in ways that you might never expect.

"Dear Admissions Office,
Sincerely,
Thanks but no thanks."

Haha - I completely understand what you're feeling. That being said, this school accepted you so you owe it them to be a bit more kind and sincere in your rejection of their admissions offer.

Funny letter though..

Be careful, they just might send one like this back:

"Dear GoinBack2Cali,
Thank you for taking the time write this letter. I hope you are well aware that since our university has accepted you, we(the adcomm) have access to see all the schools that have likewise done so. We hope you enjoy XX medical college for the next 4 years. It is with deepest regret that I must inform you that, due to your pretentiousness, we are forwarding this letter to the XX medical college. Please remember that we have colleagues at other schools also, and we're consider it a great honor to forward this to them later on. While most will not care, I hope the content of your character, as evident by this letter, be made known to other institutions across the nation. I wish you the best of luck with completing medical school, finding adequate research, going through the match, becoming a resident, or get an attending position.

Sincerely,
The Medical School who actually thought you were worth our time"

Really, If you're going to do something like that. Why not just send a letter stating your intention to withdrawal your application from their pool. It's much funnier that way.