Turning to the dark side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-and he is your immediate supervisor?

:eek:

wow...

My immediate supervisor (an FP, O-3, with one more year AD (and one more year out of residency) than me) recently moved into more of a part-time clinician, part-time administrator role. He now works his clinical shifts (in a 24-7 urgent care) as double coverage from 8:30-12 on 4 weekdays during the week. As part of our peer review process, I review 10 of his charts per month. I had to look at 3 days worth of charts to come up with 10 charts. That gave me pause. How could he go three shifts and see so few patients? So I looked at the other days he worked. He has routinely been seeing 3-5 patients a day as his "shift." This is in an urgent care that sees 70-110 patients a day with single coverage from midnight to 8 am and double coverage from 8am to midnight. It is not unusual at all for me to see 4-6 patients an hour during busy time periods. The average over 24 hours is about 2 patients per clinician per hour. Yet my supervisor averages about 1 per hour while working one of our busiest time periods. Hmmm....10 more years of that and he'll be the squadron commander.

Been there, done that.

Before you get all sanctimonious about it, ask him a) how much of his time his "part time administrative" duties suck up, and b) just how much he enjoys his "part time administrator role."

Believe me, if your place is anything like mine was, admin duties expand exponentially and relentlessly to fill all available time. I'm sure the answer to question a) will be "all of it" and, if he even has a fraction of a soul left, the answer to question b) will be "please kill me right now."

X-RMD, No longer administrating