Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got 10 days left.
did mtb many times....
first aid step2ck thrice..
uw mcq x 2
uw ccs x2
don't wannna have to take this more than once, what should i do till exam??
what was your exam like?
:scared::confused:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I got 10 days left.
did mtb many times....
first aid step2ck thrice..
uw mcq x 2
uw ccs x2
don't wannna have to take this more than once, what should i do till exam??
what was your exam like?
:scared::confused:
There's a danger of overthinking this exam. In all honesty, if you did MTB, and the MCQ and CCS problems ONCE , you have already accomplished more prep than 95% of the folks who will take this thing. Most people rely heavily on their intern year experience, and on top of that crazy schedule try to get through either MTB or Crush, and most of the World mcq and ccs problems, if they can. If you can get through all, that's great. If you've done them twice, you probably are in danger of psyching yourself out. In the last 10 days, you probably want to do 20+ random mcq problems per day and maybe glance over a 1-2 CCS explanations per day to remind yourself of what you are going to order. If you have to read, get crush or some other resource you haven't read yet -- there is very little value to rereading the same stuff for this particular test -- it doesn't really test on factoids like Steps 1 or 2. As for the CK stuff, IMHO there was no value in reviewing that for Step 3, it's a very different test. If you read it once for Step 2, you already had enough factoids to move forward. Very low yield for Step 3 IMHO.

OP
markglt

markglt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thank you for that. it settles me, some what.
however, it is a little different for me, as i have not started residency yet, and am probably an undiagnosed mosaic to boot.:idea:
i'm just gonna try to stay focused and calm. for some reason this one seems to be freaking me out the most.

PlutoBoy

Sic transit gloria mundi
Removed
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2009
Mark, we support you! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
let us know your experience mark:)

OP
markglt

markglt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
day 1.....horrible. i feel beaten up and abused.

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
From the threads we have both read, a lot of people feel that way and they do good/great. I'm sure when you post in 3 weeks that will be confirmed for you.

OP
markglt

markglt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i hope so. i was counting on day 2 to back up a sh*tty day one....but that didn't happen, really screwed up some of those ccs cases....i don't know, it was bad.

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Well thanks in advance for following up, I'm coming up right behind you in dec. I hope yours will be another I felt bad but did real good stories, a lot of my resident friends have relayed that's a common step 3 feeling.
If you think about it, you kind of feel that way doing the practice questions too, in contrast to ck where you can feel solid, 3 often gives you that unsettling feeling where 2 diff. mangmt strategies can be equivocal.

OP
markglt

markglt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
my best advice would be to do tons and tons of questions and pull the concepts from there. and be good at ccs, real good. this seems to be a test of real world stuff.
books.....i wouldnt even know what book to turn to find half the answers. mtb, crush, fa step 3, those are just books to help refresh the old facts that some may have lost during residency....they are no way comprehensive enough.
do hella questions, timed. It is not that the questions are longer than step 2. they just seem to have more useless stuff in them and then when you get down to the answers, you're like, "uh i don't know".....you could really sit there and ponder a few of those answers for awhile. i'm not a resident, hopefully you are, i think it helps....

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Unfortunately I am not in residency yet either, so I'm sensitive to how you feel...as I've had the same feeling of scratching my head when 2 nearly equivocal mngmt styles are presented, though you kind of arbitrarily pick one over the other, or the reason isn't super-apparent.

Here's to both of us hopefully scratching our heads, but doing comfortably when averaged with others feeling that way as well. I'm sure with the amount of prep you did, and I will do, we are both just ocd about needing a solid feeling and unfortunately I don't think s3 will provide that. I've yet to read a story about anyone saying they thought they killed it, even the 99ers

OP
markglt

markglt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hope you're right. nontheless, good luck on you're exam.
here if u need me.:)

ROBINHO

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You guys think the Archers review and Premier important for a non resident?
If yes which of them?