Tuskegee c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwood89

c/o 2019 hopeful
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yea Tuskegee applicants!!!! Starting this thread, but hoping I get in off the waitlist for this fall, but until then, starting my application!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Surely it isn't just the two of us!:)

Are there really only 2 people on this thread? I'm applying to Tuskegee this cycle, I wanted to hear from others!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying too! Just mailed my personal statement yesterday to Tuskegee.... Cross fingers!

Putting my name in the hat as well! Hopefully we will all have good news next year :xf:

I almost applied, I mean hell, you can't beat that tuition! But I was concerned about the probationary accreditation issue. Does anyone know more about this? If they lose there accreditation, what does that mean for students already in the program?

I almost applied, I mean hell, you can't beat that tuition! But I was concerned about the probationary accreditation issue. Does anyone know more about this? If they lose there accreditation, what does that mean for students already in the program?

http://www.tuskegee.edu/academics/colleges/cvmnah/school_of_veterinary_medicine.aspx

Thanks for the heads up! I've been to the website a million times and never noticed this. Have you contacted the school to see how long they will be on probation?

I did not contact the school. Honestly it was enough to scare me away from applying at this time! According to the AVMA:

10.5. Probationary Accreditation*
An accreditation status granted to a college that has one or more major deficiencies in one or more Standards. Major deficiencies have more than minimal impact on student learning or safety. These deficiencies MUST be corrected in two years. This is not an adverse decision. The college is required to submit a plan to the COE within 30 days of the status notification. The plan outlines steps to correct deficiencies and provides a time table for completion. Progress reports to the COE are required every six months, one being the Annual Interim Report.

If at the end of the two-year period, deficiencies have been corrected and there is evidence to support full compliance, the college may be granted Accredited status for the remainder of the accreditation cycle, as determined by the COE. A college that fails to correct minor deficiencies during one additional year on Probationary status or major deficiencies within two years will be placed on Terminal Accreditation unless an Extension for Good Cause is granted (see Section 21.4, Appendix D) or pending an appeal. Progress reports are required every six months.

10.5.1. Procedures for Colleges with the Classification of Probationary Accreditation
During the period of Probationary accreditation, the Council may appoint a team to visit the college to report on the progress toward accredited status. When time is necessary to correct deficiencies (construction or major renovation of physical facilities), and if the college has presented evidence that it is making acceptable progress toward accredited status at the end of two years, Probationary accreditation may be extended for good cause.

A Letter of Intent to Place on Terminal Accreditation is an official letter from the COE warning the college that the accreditation status may move to Terminal Accreditation if the correction of deficiencies is not completed in the time specified. The letter is sent to the college in the 18th month of Probationary Accreditation. This is not an accreditation status.

At the end of an assigned period of Probationary accreditation, or earlier at the invitation of the college, the Council will conduct a comprehensive site visit, a focused site visit, or determine that no site visit is necessary to determine the compliance of the college with the standard in question. On the basis of this evaluation the Council must:
  • Award Accredited status
  • Continue Probationary Accreditation for good cause, or
  • Assign Terminal Accreditation following written due process, or
  • Withdraw accreditation (for accredited foreign colleges)
10.6. Terminal Accreditation
An accrediation status assigned to a college that is unable to correct deficiencies within the specified time period. This is an adverse accreditation decision. Due process will be initiated prior to a final decision. The college may respond in writing within 30 days of notification of the adverse action.

In addition to the circumstances noted above which may result in a program being placed on Terminal Accreditation or if a program voluntarily closes, the Council may revoke accreditation, when evidence indicates that the number or severity of deficiencies in the program with regards to complying with each of the accreditation Standards cannot be corrected before the admission of the next first-year class. "Procedures for Colleges with the Classification of Terminal Accreditation" must be followed to protect the interests of enrolled students.

10.6.1. Procedures for Colleges with the Classification of Terminal Accreditation
This classification of terminal accreditation is intended to protect enrolled students from the disadvantage of graduating from a non-accredited college and may continue no longer than necessary to protect the educational interests of such students. The dean of the college and the president of the university are notified immediately in writing of the classification status and the reasons therefore. Not later than 30 days after the date of receipt of the final report, the college may respond in writing to the specific deficiencies. If written due process fails, the college may initiate appeal proceedings as described in the Accreditation Policies and Procedures of the AVMA Council on Education manual (Section 10.12). During the first six months after the assignment of terminal accreditation, the college will submit a detailed plan describing how it will ensure that the educational interests of currently enrolled students will be met. In January of each year that the college holds terminal accreditation status, the college will provide a detailed report to the Council on Education describing how the plan is being followed and how it has been altered with respect to students who entered when the program held accredited, accredited with minor deficiencies, or probationary accreditation status.

To maintain terminal accreditation status, the college must: immediately cease enrollment of additional students; commit adequate resources to complete the education of currently enrolled students; ensure that deficiencies cited do not worsen. During a period of terminal accreditation, representatives from the COE will visit the college annually and report on whether the college is meeting the conditions for terminal accreditation as stated above. The COE visit report and information furnished in writing by the college will be considered by the Council to determine if terminal accreditation should continue. Following a period of terminal accreditation, the classification of accreditation withheld will be assigned.

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...ges/coe-pp-accreditation-classifications.aspx

Honestly I really hope that Tuskeegee is able to correct the problems associated with it's accreditation as from what I've read it's an important HBCU.

Every school has been on probationary accreditation at some point. I understand it to be part of the evaluation process. It is a two to three yr period in which they have to show improvements. Some are short term as in the next year. Others will take longer to turn around thus the greater length of time. Honestly, I am not too worried about it. They have a plan and are implementing it.

Honestly, I am too busy with classes for it to be a daily concern.

All students that started a program even if it was probationary will graduate with an accredited degree. It doesn't matter if they lose it during. There's little to no risk to the student.

Good to know. How did you know that, dyachei? (I did not read entire wall). I applied but I just assumed it would be fixed. How does it work for the new school? I know they're on track toward it and they need to graduate a class first to be official but what would happen to their students if they didn't?

Good to know. How did you know that, dyachei? (I did not read entire wall). I applied but I just assumed it would be fixed. How does it work for the new school? I know they're on track toward it and they need to graduate a class first to be official but what would happen to their students if they didn't?
That's how accreditation works. I know because when I was at UTK, we had a period of probationary accreditation to fix things (which they did) and it was explicitly explained to us.

Awesome thank you. I've only read a little about it but the people I spoke to just said not to worry about it--and since there's tons to worry about I focused on other things. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thank you. I've only read a little about it but the people I spoke to just said not to worry about it--and since there's tons to worry about I focused on other things. :)
try not to worry about those things, either ;)

There's plenty of worry to go around in vet school.

If you are applying base on accreditation status, then I hope you didn't apply to Auburn, Iowa, or Midwestern. They are also on probation. Click the link below

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...ocuments/2014-March-Accreditation-Actions.pdf

I admit it wasn't just the accreditation that concerned me about Tuskeegee. I also looked at the average percent of students who pass the licensing exam and the local crime rate (mostly because I have a child). For me it just wasn't the right choice at this time, especially since I didn't understand the probationary accreditation issue, but I also didn't contact anyone for more info.

Any of those issues on their own may not be a huge issue, but combined it was a deal breaker for me. And yes, I did look up the crime rate of every school I considered applying to, and I considered it heavily.

I also think you meant Western University, not Midwestern? Western has probationary accreditation while Midwestern has reasonable assurance and should have full accreditation when the first class graduates.

As a current Tuskegee student, it's good that you did some background research. The crime rate in the town is very high as it is an economically depressed area. It was the big factor for why I live in Auburn and commute to school instead. Auburn also just has more to do (shopping, gyms, dog park, theaters, etc.).

We're working on resolving the probationary accreditation issues. Part of the problem is that the school had planned to build a new teaching hospital on par with what other veterinary schools have, so money wasn't put into maintaining the current facilities. We had a ground breaking ceremony and were in the process of tearing down old large animal buildings when we got hit with the news from the AVMA last year. Our university president and veterinary school president also both resigned at the end of last year as well, so it's been really hectic.

There's been a lot of good changes made this year to help get everything back on track. It will probably take the entire two years to get cleared by the AVMA, but I don't think it'll be an issue by the time any of us graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying this year, too! It looks like there will be a few of us :) Do any of you know stats at all for Tuskegee SVM? It looks like they're very hush-hush about numbers...

Texas resident and military veteran applying to Tuskegee this cycle. Good luck guys!!!

Hi guys I to am currently a student at TUSVM and it is a great school I know this process can be stressful so If you have and questions I am open and wouldn't mind giving you all more info my email is [email protected]

And also. I normally don't do this but because I know how stressful the application cycle is I will try to rid you all's stress as much as possible so if you have any questions email or text/call me at anytime or if u just need insight I can also give you that lol here my cell number 318-461-8931 please not calls after ten pm

This is my second time applying to Tuskegee (and likely my last attempt to get into veterinary school). Any current students know of any second time applicants? I was told by Amy that i would not receive an interview this year because they only allow applicants one interview, and I interviewed last year and was wait-listed. I was unaware of this when I submitted my application and therefore was a little disappointed.

@dwood89 I also applied twice I am a current student now at TUSVM. If you need insight call or me tomorrow and I can fill you in. (See previous msgs for contact info).

Applying for the second time as well...haven't heard a peep yet, but last year it was pretty late in the game when interview invites came out.

I need to know whether or not i'll get an interview before paying $1,400 for two classes that are not needed for other schools that have granted interview.

I wouldn't hold your breath. They are a good old private southern school that like taking their time. :)

Just to give yall a heads up, I called Amy today and she said they should be sending out emails next week regarding invitations for interviews.

I chose Monday the 16th! I'm so excited to do the interview and meet you all!

February 20th!!! congrats guys. I hope to see ya'll there and across the finish line.

Last edited:
Got the confirmation from Amy for 2/20

Does anyone know any information on the tuition? I'm having a hard time finding it.

You beat me to it! Haha

Attachments

• 2014-2015PolicyandFeeBrochure.pdf
    203.8 KB · Views: 60
I got an interview set for the 20th! Does anyone have any interview questions?

This is my second time applying to Tuskegee (and likely my last attempt to get into veterinary school). Any current students know of any second time applicants? I was told by Amy that i would not receive an interview this year because they only allow applicants one interview, and I interviewed last year and was wait-listed. I was unaware of this when I submitted my application and therefore was a little disappointed.

Wait, you can only get 1 interview?

Congrats guys!!! I'm a current TUSVM student. Feel free to post or shoot me any questions. I'll do my best to answer them lol

I got an interview set for the 20th! Does anyone have any interview questions?

are you flying to tuskegee? I am from houston texas and i have same day interview. I'm thinking about making another 9 hour drive to that region (I have other interview near by a week before). If you're interested in splitting the cost of driving and carpool I'm all game.

Congrats to all on your interviews! Let me know if I can answer questions for you. I am a first year non-traditional student. Good luck!

To all the current students: what interview questions were you asked?

Hi Guys! Congrats!! I am a first year student as well offering help and insight to whomever may want/need it. I know this is a stressful process but hang in there. I am also a former SERP participant for those of you who are having SERP interviews. If you have any questions please feel free to send me emails (regardless of time I never sleep lol ). I normally respond quickly. I know if you were like me I had questions everyday and that is perfectly fine. So if you need me here is my email [email protected]. I will see you guys during interviews!

I was asked scene type questions. For example, one question was, "You have a client with cattle and several are sick. He has expired penicillin injectable on hand and wants to use it. How do you handle that?" I had at least four of these types of questions.

They did ask me to tell them about myself. Something that wasn't on my app. This is not my favorite type of question but I ended up handling it okay. I really wasn't sure how it went and I have enough past experience to tell. It was also my second of three interviews so I didn't spend a lot of time dwelling on it.

Feel free to ask other questions. As Antonio said, we all remember being in your shoes last year.

There isn't a set number of questions that are asked in each interview. The professors pretty much dictate how they want their sets of interviews to go. My questions were pretty much the ones you can find online. I practiced with those and my interview went pretty smooth.

i'm staying at kellogg's conference center friday the 20th. If anyone wants to pitch in for a room let me know.

GreetIngs everyone! My name is TayVon Lucas and I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Animal Science (Pre-Veterinary Track) on May 3, 2014. I currently work as a Veterinary Assistant at a dog/cat vet clinic and will soon be starting part-time at an animal emergency hospital. My interview is scheduled for February 16th and I look forward to meeting each and everyone one of you! Wish you all the best of luck during interviews!