TUSM Class of 2013

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by SB100, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Guess I'll start this one. Who else is going besides me? :)

2. scrubslover

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let's get this thread going!

I'm not even positive I'm going to choose Tufts yet, but it would be nice to talk to some potential classmates! :)

3. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No kidding, I was dismayed when this thread nearly started showing up on the second page of the class forums :p

4. matli

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Does Tufts have a re-visit weekend of some sort?

5. thejarb

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think so, if I remember interview day correctly. Though, I think you can set up a second visit on your own.

6. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just took a visit to the neighborhood today with my girlfriend. Very happy to be going here :)

7. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think I found one, but it's all ghetto :p

8. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  9. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yay! You going?

10. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yea, I am 99.9% sure that this is it for me. I loved the school, the people I hosted with, and the city.

Now, the only downside is the horrendous price-tag. Has anyone figured out how you will handle this? Stafford and Grad PLus loans? I have pretty good credit history for someone my age, so I think I will be able to get Grad Plus loans.

Things are complicated for me with financial aid, b/c neither my parents live or pay taxes in the United States. Filling out those forms turns into a pain in the butt.

But yea, beside going insane over financial aspects, I am totally psyched to be going here.

11. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha, I'm going crazy over financial aid stuff too. Our family needs to see the accountant mad early this year because of their "priority" deadline for institutional aid. I'm most likely going with Stafford and Grad PLUS loans myself.

12. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I wonder why we haven't gotten any new people to this forum...there can't just be us 2/3 out there in SDN land?

13. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's still a little early isn't it?

14. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You know I can never tell really when the season is slowing down...it seems like there is a lot of pre-meds already worrying about interviews being only for waitlists now

on the other hand I assume there is going to be alot more going on the next few months.

15. DenaDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, I have also been accepted for next year's class. Not quite sure where I stand yet. As much as I like the program, I can't ignore the price tag. I have a couple friends who are either current students or recent grads and that was their BIGGEST gripe, if not their only one.

It's too bad, but I'm sure TUSM is aware of the huge disparity of their support vs. other top schools. If the other schools show me more love with financial aid, then that's that.

16. maine1986

Pre-Medical
    I'm going to Tufts too! Any ideas of where you guys will live?

17. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sweet congrats! I don't know yet. I would really like something close to campus, though. Med school will be busy enough without a long commute every day. But then you get into the price issue as well.

How about you?

I am definitely looking for a/some roommate(s), though.

18. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Me too hehe. Maine1986, are you going to the Maine program or Boston?

I could use some roommates too, and I'm fairly open to where we go. It would be cheaper to live in Cambridge, right outside of Boston with access to the MBTA (plus I could keep my car hehe). However, that would mean a longer commute time than if we found housing in the South End, where TUSM is.

19. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I just had 5 different needles stuck in me for the immunization requirements....geez.

When do you guys think would be a good time to visit Boston again and look for housing? May? June? Earlier?

20. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Assuming you'll be starting the lease in August, probably March/April. I'm currently skimming Craigslist for listings.

What area do you think you'll live in? Chinatown? Somewhere outside Boston proper with T access, like Cambridge?

21. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was hoping Chinatown. The people that I stayed with for my interview had a pretty nice apartment that was within 5 minutes of the facilities. I think it would be really nice to have that proximity.

I guess the further out you live the cheaper it gets though. Are you leaning towards Cambridge?

22. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm leaning towards anything cheap hehe. Chinatown would be a big plus. Would you be interested in looking together?

23. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm gonna PM you in a bit (maybe tomorrow).

24. linguini

linguini Hopeful member
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey guys. Congrats on Tufts! I know some people there and they love it. I won't be attending but I'm from Boston if you guys have any questions about living there. Regarding when to look for housing: most leases in Boston start on September 1st. Some start June 1st, July 1st, August 1st but you'll have less choices than if you can hold off until September 1st (there will be a lot of subletting throughout the summer if you need a place in August). My roommates and I found our current apartment (in Brighton) pretty early on (May). Most of the people I know living in Boston hunted for apartments later than that (June/July). We utilized Craig's list to find ours. If you aren't going to have a lot of time in Boston to look around, you might want to go through a realtor. They can show you a lot of apartments in a short period of time but unfortunately it'll cost you (usually half a month's rent).

25. Nemacolin

DPT / OTD
    Congrats on Tufts, guys! I've been placed in the "active consideration" category. Anyone in the same boat???

26. yochikap

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm excited to say that I got my phone call today. I'll be going to Tufts in the fall. Seems like an amazing place.

27. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats!

I notice the FB group for TUSM 2013 is kinda puny. Any of you guys on FB?

28. yochikap

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah. But there is no facebook group is there? Wow. I answered my own question

29. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Congrats! We are growing, slowly, but steadily. :D

30. blondie03

Pre-Medical
    Anyone MD/MPH. I'm thinking I'm going to go but I'm from CA and the big move plus the price tag is a little intimidating. I loved the school and the dual degree program seems amazing

31. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Same here...I am going to be making the trip with my truck late July/early August. I think Boston will be an awesome city for medical school, it really seems like the epicenter of medicine in the United States.

32. ButImLETired

ButImLETired Prodigal member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Jumbos!

Congrats on getting into Tufts! Please let me know if you have any questions about the school or Boston- I'm not going to TUSM, but I went to Tufts undergrad, so I might be able to help. Yay for new Jumbos!!

33. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have you lived off-campus in the Medford campus area? How nice is the area near the Davis or Porter Square T stops?

34. scrubslover

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As another former Jumbo undegrad, I can help you on that one :)

I lived right near Davis my senior year, and my friends currently live near Porter. The area is fine - but I would recommend living further from the undergrad campus to avoid the freshman frat herds :p The rent is expensive, as is everything in Boston, but nowhere near what you would pay living near Park Street. A lot of my friends who are currently at TUSM live either near Kendall, the South End or a few in Porter.

PM me if you have any specific questions about the area, I'd love to help.

35. Nemacolin

DPT / OTD
    Currently living in Boston (Kenmore Square), I know the area pretty well. Davis and Porter t-stop region is a pretty nice area. Focused around students. A lot of bars and fun restaurants, and a relatively affordable area as compared to other neighborhoods in/outside of Boston.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

36. yochikap

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is the Southend a good place to live? looks close and fun

37. ButImLETired

Resident [Any Field]

Davis is getting better every year, in my opinion. When I was a froshie, it was definitely on the sketchy side, but since then it's gotten better, and more and more students have decided to live there cause it's cheaper than living right off the Medford campus and there's a T stop right there. Porter is also quite nice (and SUPER close to Davis, I'm still really surprised there are two T stops that are that close). A doctor I worked with who went to TUSM lived in Porter and he said it was a nice area to live- there are good restaurants around there and stuff, and it's nicely nestled in between Davis and Harvard Square, both of which are fun, full of bars and cute cafes and such.

They're definitely kinda far from the med school though, not gonna lie. You'd have to change the T at Downtown Crossing (which is SUPER busy, especially in the morning), and go from the red line to the orange line in order to get to Tufts Med. I mean, if you're up to it, go for it, but it's definitely a trek. OTOH if you live in Davis, you can study in the main undergrad library, which a bunch of med students who live in the area do, and which is really quite lovely. So yeah, it's totally up to you. Aw I'm getting all nostalgic talking about Tufts...

38. scrubslover

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My friends say that the big advantages of living there are that a) you are SUPER close to campus so you don't have to rely on the red or orange lines and b) a lot of the med students live there.

Also, as for Porter, there are a lot of nice perks to it. One is the giant Shaw's that you live basically next to, so food shopping is easy. There are a lot of good restaurants/bars (Christopher's comes to mind). But like Let said, it's a hassle to get to campus... especially in the snow!! Never underestimate the endless Boston winter.

As I write this I'm withdrawing from TUSM, so this is making me :(

39. ButImLETired

Resident [Any Field]
    Did you know Christopher's won Chowderfest last year, in a wild upset? That place has some SERIOUS clam chowder. Good Lord.

40. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What streets encompass the South End? I've seen some maps that show it goes all the way down to BU Med's campus, which would definitely be too far. How walkable is it to TUSM from the South End? My main concern is the potential for snowstorms to delay the T and bus lines.

41. hill81

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi! I have a room for rent in a 3 bedroom apartment in the Metropolitan (literally next to the Tufts Med buildings). I'm moving back to CA and would ideally like to have the room rented starting June 1st (date negotiable). The lease would go until the following August 31st. The rent is $1175 and utilities run about $50 a month. The other two roommates are both Tufts Med students (a 2nd year and an incoming 1st year) and they are looking for another female to move in. The apartment is huge, laundry in the building, concierge downstairs, and very very close to school. Please let me know if you're interested!

42. chakuseki

5+ Year Member

Hey, I visited the Metropolitan before, do a lot of tufts med students live there?

43. Aiicha

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Question: Did you guys choose Tufts over a cheaper school? I'm trying to reconcile spending the extra dough for Tufts, and some days I'm like "Eh, its just $" But some days I'm like "Dear God, the debt is crushing me, go with the cheaper school" Any thoughts?

44. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Let me know when you've come up with something...I might be in the same dilema soon...I loved Tufts, but the cost is something to consider.

45. Aiicha

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well right now my thinking is that I went with the cheaper undergrad, so i have more room to pick the more expensive med school. I had one friend explain it to me like this: "Its like investing in a factory that turns s*** into gold, you're bound to make money"
    So right now that is swaying me towards Tufts, however I haven't received my financial aid statements yet. If it comes down to a 80-100k difference I'm not sure I can justify it. but maybe...

46. ruraldr

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone received their package or been given a timeline for receipt?

I'm especially interested to hear from the Maine folks...

47. Aiicha

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I spoke to the finaid dept yesterday and they said I should get my package in about 2 weeks. I'm not in the maine program though

48. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Same here. It's interesting, because when I contacted them back in February, they said we would get them by the end of March, early April.

49. SB100

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    With the due date of the application being mid-March, I doubt they'd have a turnaround time that soon.

I appreciate that the inquiry was made at least. I really want to find out from them before I start applying for graduate loans :(

50. Aiicha

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Why is this thread dead? Anyone else wondering this?