TUSPM Entering Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PODIATRYCRAZE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, for those of you who do not know about Temple University or Philadelphia in general, feel free to post here. I have lived here for about 4 years and will be glad to answer anything I know about either.

This was originally a post about acceptance statistics, but we decided to make one for all schools instead. so do not mind the first couple posts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
maybe we could delete this thread and make a new one for all entering students?

lets do that. and we will post which school we got accepted to so people can know differences. smart idea. I cannot figure out how to retitle or delete

Members don't see this ad :)
October 31 interview date. Plan to have an early flight out the day before/late flight out day after. Must see places while im there? And also what are some places to check out for living situations?

What would you say is the best part about living in Philly? Worst thing?

Temple Podiatry is in the middle of Chinatown so take a look at all the exotic restaurants. If you are a history fanatic, the Liberty bell and Independence Hall are not far. My personal favorites are Center City, and Penn's Landing. Both are within 15 minutes walking distance, so bring walking shoes.

In terms of living situations, check out Philadelphia craigslist for Chinatown. The apartment buildings around there are generally speaking too expensive for students, unless you have the means to pay for it. Also TUSPM has dorms for Temple students.

Best part about Philadelphia, you can survive without a car, different parts of the city are diverse in food, environment, people. Worst parts, the streets are bumpy, cost of living, some sketchy streets (thankfully not many around TUSPM).

Reactions: 1 users
Temple Podiatry is in the middle of Chinatown so take a look at all the exotic restaurants. If you are a history fanatic, the Liberty bell and Independence Hall are not far. My personal favorites are Center City, and Penn's Landing. Both are within 15 minutes walking distance, so bring walking shoes.

In terms of living situations, check out Philadelphia craigslist for Chinatown. The apartment buildings around there are generally speaking too expensive for students, unless you have the means to pay for it. Also TUSPM has dorms for Temple students.

Best part about Philadelphia, you can survive without a car, different parts of the city are diverse in food, environment, people. Worst parts, the streets are bumpy, cost of living, some sketchy streets (thankfully not many around TUSPM).

Awesome! Thank you! I was only in Philly for a day when I went for my interview, so I didn't get to spend much time looking around. I was really surprised at how beautiful it was though, and the friendliness of the people! I'm super excited to live there :) I am probably going to live in the dorms for the first year.

Awesome! Thank you! I was only in Philly for a day when I went for my interview, so I didn't get to spend much time looking around. I was really surprised at how beautiful it was though, and the friendliness of the people! I'm super excited to live there :) I am probably going to live in the dorms for the first year.
I would advise not living in the dorms as a primary option. I know it seems easier, but the dorms are kinda ****ty. It may seem daunting, but it's not that difficult to find a good apartment for a good price within a 5 minute walk from campus, and I promise that you will thank me for it later. When you're a couple of months out from starting school you can look up apartments online, set a date with a realtor, and fly to Philly to check out a bunch of apartments. As the renter, a realtor would be free for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise not living in the dorms as a primary option. I know it seems easier, but the dorms are kinda ****ty. It may seem daunting, but it's not that difficult to find a good apartment for a good price within a 5 minute walk from campus, and I promise that you will thank me for it later. When you're a couple of months out from starting school you can look up apartments online, set a date with a realtor, and fly to Philly to check out a bunch of apartments. As the renter, a realtor would be free for you.

Is... it... really that bad? I'm scared now, lol. I mean, I have lived in awfully crappy dorms before and I managed just fine.
I'm just a little worried about my transition being so far from home, finding an apartment just seems like an extra stressor.
I will most likely try to find something for 2nd year though

I haven't lived there, I've only visited, but from what I've seen and heard, they're pretty crappy. If you're really worried about finding an apartment, then just go with the dorms. There will be plenty of other people in your class doing the same.

Pretty much everyone who lives there kinda shrugs it off the best they can but nobody I've talked to about it is planning on signing another lease there.

Mr Martin from admissions usually offers to take students around to look at apartments, few people take him up on that offer but a friend of mine did and Mr Martin totally came through. You could arrange to meet a realtor here to look for apartments. Heck, I can help you look. It's really not that bad. The realtors and property managers do all the leg work to make it as stress free as possible, cause they all get paid once you sign the lease (you pay the rent, property pays the realtor). You just have to look at apartments online once you're couple of months from moving, then come to Philly for one day to look at the apartments that look the best online. Choose the one you want. Then the realtor will email you all the paperwork to sign and it's a done deal.

I would at least sleep on it if I were you. I promise that if you got an apartment, you would thank me later. That's all I'm saying. And if you're worried about roomates there are some people in my class who pay a bit more to live alone while many of us found our roomates through our class FB group. (BTW, if y'all don't have a FB group yet, now is a good time to make one).

I haven't lived there, I've only visited, but from what I've seen and heard, they're pretty crappy. If you're really worried about finding an apartment, then just go with the dorms. There will be plenty of other people in your class doing the same.

Pretty much everyone who lives there kinda shrugs it off the best they can but nobody I've talked to about it is planning on signing another lease there.

Mr Martin from admissions usually offers to take students around to look at apartments, few people take him up on that offer but a friend of mine did and Mr Martin totally came through. You could arrange to meet a realtor here to look for apartments. Heck, I can help you look. It's really not that bad. The realtors and property managers do all the leg work to make it as stress free as possible, cause they all get paid once you sign the lease (you pay the rent, property pays the realtor). You just have to look at apartments online once you're couple of months from moving, then come to Philly for one day to look at the apartments that look the best online. Choose the one you want. Then the realtor will email you all the paperwork to sign and it's a done deal.

I would at least sleep on it if I were you. I promise that if you got an apartment, you would thank me later. That's all I'm saying. And if you're worried about roomates there are some people in my class who pay a bit more to live alone while many of us found our roomates through our class FB group. (BTW, if y'all don't have a FB group yet, now is a good time to make one).

Thanks for all the information, bob! I really appreciate it. I will definitely sleep on it and give it all some thought.