OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I have been accepted to Temple, Ohio CPM, Barry and NYCPM. I have narrowed them down to TUSPM and OCPM, but it's such a hard decision!! Can someone please help me before the deposit deadline?:scared:

I hope I'm not the only one with this dillema...

illini04alum

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Its a pretty big decision and if you think you need more time ask for it. I got a month extention from one of the colleges' that I interviewed at fairly early to help with how spaced out my later interviews were. I think your scholarship chances may be affected the longer you wait, but I think the decision itself has higher priority. My 2 cents. :thumbup:

CLC123

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i had to choose between temple and scholl, and so i definitely understand your situation. For me, I decided that getting clinical experience was at the top of my list of things to consider. How many patients are the kids at Ohio seeing a day? Yes, the facilities are beautiful (and they are very old at temple) but are you really going to be seeing the patient volume that will necessary to successfully prepare you for residency? Also, for me I wanted to be in a city for the occasional break time...it's nice to be in a city with concerts and bars and art and museums. Anyway, i dont know if this was helpful at all but i think temple is a great school, the students are really friendly as well as the staff and i really like it. I have not been to ohio, so i cant say anything negative about it except their clinic doesnt see as many patients as temple. have a great day!

About the Ads

sguiliana

OCPM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
i had to choose between temple and scholl, and so i definitely understand your situation. For me, I decided that getting clinical experience was at the top of my list of things to consider. How many patients are the kids at Ohio seeing a day? Yes, the facilities are beautiful (and they are very old at temple) but are you really going to be seeing the patient volume that will necessary to successfully prepare you for residency? Also, for me I wanted to be in a city for the occasional break time...it's nice to be in a city with concerts and bars and art and museums. Anyway, i dont know if this was helpful at all but i think temple is a great school, the students are really friendly as well as the staff and i really like it. I have not been to ohio, so i cant say anything negative about it except their clinic doesnt see as many patients as temple. have a great day!

pm'd him on this

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Thanks a lot guys, thanks sguiliana for the insight...sorry I couldn't respond to you earlier...I just became a daddy to arguably the most adorable baby boy in the world!!!!:soexcited: I'm sitting here typing next to my wife and 2-day old son...sniff...

One way or the other, OCPM seems to be a rising star, especially after its move to the new campus and with it being a private inst. One big consideration is the fact that Temple is in urban Philly, further away from the rural area where I'd like to live. OCPM is a quick highway drive from Cleveland, which is a great community for my wife, newborn, and myself. Though Temple may be arguably better in some regards, living in Cleveland an attending roomy and modern facilities will give me more peace of mind, which is conducive to how much I can gain from my education.

Anyway, I'm exhasted out of my mind...you can't imagine. I'm a Daddy!!!!!!!

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Heck, I may as well write OCPM 2013 as my signature...:laugh:
I just can't imagine being happier at Temple than OCPM in terms of lifestyle etc.. The only beef I have with Cleveland is that driving is a real drag. Streets which have a 40 MPH speed limit in every normal city have a 25 MPH speed limit in Cleveland, and they have speed cameras and cops all over the place. I know this because I was pulled over for driving 40 MPH in a 25 MPH zone...:mad:

allenmarchallo

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I just can't imagine being happier at Temple than OCPM in terms of lifestyle etc.. The only beef I have with Cleveland is that driving is a real drag. Streets which have a 40 MPH speed limit in every normal city have a 25 MPH speed limit in Cleveland, and they have speed cameras and cops all over the place. I know this because I was pulled over for driving 40 MPH in a 25 MPH zone...:mad:

:eek::laugh:

You, my friend, need one of these...

http://www.valentine1.com/

Best on the market..(if u can drop $400 on it)......Hands down....

sguiliana

OCPM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
thanks a lot guys, thanks sguiliana for the insight...sorry i couldn't respond to you earlier...i just became a daddy to arguably the most adorable baby boy in the world!!!!:soexcited: I'm sitting here typing next to my wife and 2-day old son...sniff...

One way or the other, ocpm seems to be a rising star, especially after its move to the new campus and with it being a private inst. One big consideration is the fact that temple is in urban philly, further away from the rural area where i'd like to live. Ocpm is a quick highway drive from cleveland, which is a great community for my wife, newborn, and myself. Though temple may be arguably better in some regards, living in cleveland an attending roomy and modern facilities will give me more peace of mind, which is conducive to how much i can gain from my education.

Anyway, i'm exhasted out of my mind...you can't imagine. I'm a daddy!!!!!!!

+1

hamlinbeach

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student

ya watch out for those! i got a ticket mailed to my parents house (its my dads car) for not taking a full stop for right on red...at 2am... with absolutely no traffic!!!

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Yeah, I know. Traffic citations stink.:annoyed:

Can anyone else offer me insight on Temple vs. OCPM before I just make the move? The only perk I see in TUSPM is that students build up clinical experience through the school clinic.
The equation is as I see it:
TUSPM = ↑ Clinical experience = better podiatrist = ↑self-confidence = better job = better lifestyle (baby goes to college and the mortgage get paid!!).

Or one can argue the following:

OCPM = better facilities = ↑ hi-tech = well-prepared podiatrist
and
OCPM = nice area = relaxed students = peaceful mind = ↑ learning productivity = better podiatrist etc.

I'm sure that there's a lot more than that, though. Please share your insight, o wise pre-podans.:idea:

Baby's starting to get restless. I don't blame him. Life as a 2-day-old can be pretty boring.

geoff325

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
don't let early clinical experience be a factor. i think it is overrated and have read lots of upper classmen saying the same thing. we won't know anything clinically related the first few years to have anything actually stick. i would rather have a few extra hours to study during the day each week instead of limited clinical experience. i am sure we will get plenty year 3 and 4 and residency. I think schools just use that to attract students and it is overrated.

congrats on the poop machine though. i look forward to the day I am lucky enough to have one.

Last edited:
About the Ads

sguiliana

OCPM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Yeah, I know. Traffic citations stink.:annoyed:

Can anyone else offer me insight on Temple vs. OCPM before I just make the move? The only perk I see in TUSPM is that students build up clinical experience through the school clinic.
The equation is as I see it:
TUSPM = ↑ Clinical experience = better podiatrist = ↑self-confidence = better job = better lifestyle (baby goes to college and the mortgage get paid!!).

Or one can argue the following:

and
OCPM = nice area = relaxed students = peaceful mind = ↑ learning productivity = better podiatrist etc.

I'm sure that there's a lot more than that, though. Please share your insight, o wise pre-podans.:idea:

Baby's starting to get restless. I don't blame him. Life as a 2-day-old can be pretty boring.

Not true IMO. Anyone can learn lower extr. anatomy, but it's hard to teach someone empathy and effective communication skills - despite how busy their clinic was during pod. school. Of course practice makes perfect, but some have these skills from previous jobs in healthcare, etc. For me it was not my top priority, but I have not yet heard any complaints about OCPM clinic besides the fact you have to drive the 10 miles to Cleavland.

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Not true IMO. Anyone can learn lower extr. anatomy, but it's hard to teach someone empathy and effective communication skills - despite how busy their clinic was during pod. school. Of course practice makes perfect, but some have these skills from previous jobs in healthcare, etc. For me it was not my top priority, but I have not yet heard any complaints about OCPM clinic besides the fact you have to drive the 10 miles to Cleavland.

Yeah, and it's just highway drivin'. I mean, the school is right off the highway, the area is nothing but sparsely spaced shopping centers, car dealerships, and hotels, and parking is plentiful. In other words you leave home, have a relatively smooth drive to school, park normally, get inside and study.
Compare that to Temple which is in the middle of the city, and you have to pay for parking in a lot so cramped that cars must park behind other cars, effectively blocking them. Car drivers must deposit their keys with the guards so they can move your car to let cars out...it's amazing to me that such a large school doesn't use that spot to build a multi-tiered parking garage. I mean, aside from the gas wasted on every time the guard starts your car to unblock another, do you really want some stranger to get into your car and drive it at will? Believe me, you're not going to have the same peace of mind while studying.

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
congrats on the poop machine though. i look forward to the day I am lucky enough to have one.
No kidding. You got to expect at least one poop per feeding. But at this point it's oderless and the only pain is trying to get baby's feet out of the way - they don't like being exposed and ditto to those cold and wet wipes:laugh:. And anyway, I'm the oldest of eight so I'm really cool with this stuff...

But he's really so adorable...if he ends up having my wife's looks, my brains, and a combined personality, voila - the perfect human!

And don't worry, if you really want to have one, you probably will. Only remember that anyone with parts can father a child, but it takes more than that to be a daddy ;)

JEWmongous

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
Burlington, VT
Status (Visible)
Yeah, and it's just highway drivin'. I mean, the school is right off the highway, the area is nothing but sparsely spaced shopping centers, car dealerships, and hotels, and parking is plentiful. In other words you leave home, have a relatively smooth drive to school, park normally, get inside and study.
Compare that to Temple which is in the middle of the city, and you have to pay for parking in a lot so cramped that cars must park behind other cars, effectively blocking them. Car drivers must deposit their keys with the guards so they can move your car to let cars out...it's amazing to me that such a large school doesn't use that spot to build a multi-tiered parking garage. I mean, aside from the gas wasted on every time the guard starts your car to unblock another, do you really want some stranger to get into your car and drive it at will? Believe me, you're not going to have the same peace of mind while studying.

Wow, are you serious? This is the first time I heard about this. Sounds like a pain but at least your car is not going to get jacked.

I know in New York you definitely don't need a car due to the great pub transit. I am not so sure with Philly but from going there a few times, it seems there are a good number of options (subway, reg train, bus, amtrak, trolley, etc). There's even a shuttle bus between the pod campus/main campus/HSC. Overall, would you really need a car if you went to TUSPM? I heard of a few Temple kids who avoided the subway and only took the regional train/buses because they were afraid/nervous. I understand everyone needs common sense when in a big city (ie not cruising around in your VESPA at 2am in North Philly).

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Yeah, there is pub. trans. in Philly, but how do you know what the options will be from wherever you live? Especially since I would want to live more in the suburbs. Also, I hate depending on other driver's schedules, and I hate, no HATE, missing buses etc. And I know that I can drive anywhere if the need arises. In other words, decreasing gas prices means more independence for me.

Add this to the fact that I just don't like city driving (I was born in NY but I try to avoid it as much as possible, sorry NY-ers nothing personal).
So:
City driving + heavy traffic + extremely tight parking = stressed-out fellow
:bang:

Because stress has its way of negatively affecting your studying ability and social interactions, I try to steer clear.

damhsoir

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2008
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Solely based on a cost of living perspective, I would go for OCPM. Cleveland's cost of living is right at the national average and while your wifey's salary (if working) might be lower in Cleveland vs. Philly, your money will stretch so much farther. All of the suburbs surrounding OCPM are very safe, have good schools, affordable housing, etc. What do they say about kids...they cost like $250,000 to raise. Doing that in Philly = penny pinching forever.

Traffic is not really bad at all in Cleveland. The worst traffic is on the East side on I-271 and you won't even have to drive on that as an OCPM student. The highway right outside of OCPM is bad during rush hour, but depending on where you live (parma or sagamore hills perhaps) you wouldn't even have to drive on that. :thumbup:

JEWmongous

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
Burlington, VT
Status (Visible)
Yeah, there is pub. trans. in Philly, but how do you know what the options will be from wherever you live? Especially since I would want to live more in the suburbs. Also, I hate depending on other driver's schedules, and I hate, no HATE, missing buses etc. And I know that I can drive anywhere if the need arises. In other words, decreasing gas prices means more independence for me.

Add this to the fact that I just don't like city driving (I was born in NY but I try to avoid it as much as possible, sorry NY-ers nothing personal).
So:
City driving + heavy traffic + extremely tight parking = stressed-out fellow
:bang:

Because stress has its way of negatively affecting your studying ability and social interactions, I try to steer clear.

Well if you live at the school dorm (a lot of students do 1st/2nd year) or most places in center city, I would say the public transit would be very good.

Dmayor22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
Driving in Philly is not as bad as people make it out to be. I would probably have to agree driving at OCPM is much better but I wouldn't call Philly a nightmare. As far as public transportation goes, most trains come every 5 or 10 minutes so if you do miss your ride you aren't waiting that long for another. The subway and bus system is super easy to use and makes getting around easy whether in the city or a nearby suburb. Some students with kids live in NJ and catch the high speed train in and love it. Better school systems, less traffice and more suburban feel. A lot of students I know drive some days and use public transit the others and seem fairly happy. I personally wouldn't make a decision on where to attend medical school which will have a huge impact on the rest of your life based on parking and how easy it is to drive.

I don't follow that logic.Better facilities do not always equal more high tech. And more high tech doesn't make you a well prepared podiatrist. The bottom line at any school is it depends on you. Flat screens, or nice facilities, great clinic or whatever mean squat if you don't put forth the effort.

TUSPM = ↑ Clinical experience = better podiatrist = ↑self-confidence = better job = better lifestyle

I am a Temple student and I'm not sure I agree with that. I would say increased clinic experience leads to more confidence and being better prepared for externships and residencies. Residency is where you will learn the confidence and skills that make you a great podiatrist and give you that better lifestyle. Schools simply prepare you for that, so pick the school that you think will prepare you best for residency. I personally found Temple to be the best for me hands down but it can be different for each person.

OnDemond

Long Live the DX7
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Maryland, USA
www.MondMusic.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I guess you just go where you best click, as long as it's a good school. There was a big comfort differential between my two experiences at TUSPM and OCPM, and I just clicked better at OCPM...

allenmarchallo

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I guess you just go where you best click, as long as it's a good school. There was a big comfort differential between my two experiences at TUSPM and OCPM, and I just clicked better at OCPM...

:soexcited:

Well, if you decide to come, u should join our facebook....We are now (7) strong!!! :D

prettypod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
OCPM of course, LOL, they're the best school out there so far. All the advances are cutting edge and they are several toes above the rest!!!

hamlinbeach

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
**** **** both of these schools suck my ballzack first off ocpm is for twinks that like nascar and stringin up the chocolate faces and F UC K everyone knows that temple is for pedophiles

I assume you're joking, but that is horribly offensive. racist.

can one of the moderators ban him...all of his posts are offensive and meaningless.

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.