TUSPM or Scholl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDPMwife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband has been accepted to both TUSPM and Scholl with scholarship offers for both. We are having difficulty choosing between the two. TUSPM has looked really good in that they have an always busy clinic. Our other major deciding factor with TUSPM is the proximity of family. We are concerned with the age of TUSPM, mainly its facilities. Another concern is that TUSPM allows less money for living expenses. Having a family requires us to really look at that. Scholl appears to be organized with a state of the art facility. We did notice that their clinic did not appear as busy. So basically...I am asking for some opinions on the two schools. Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My husband has been accepted to both TUSPM and Scholl with scholarship offers for both. We are having difficulty choosing between the two. TUSPM has looked really good in that they have an always busy clinic. Our other major deciding factor with TUSPM is the proximity of family. We are concerned with the age of TUSPM, mainly its facilities. Another concern is that TUSPM allows less money for living expenses. Having a family requires us to really look at that. Scholl appears to be organized with a state of the art facility. We did notice that their clinic did not appear as busy. So basically...I am asking for some opinions on the two schools. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think that your husband and you need to sit down and make a list of things that are important to you and compare them to the various aspects of each school. Whichever school that matches the greater amount of things that are important to both of you, should be the school. He also needs to determine which school will he be comfortable in and will provide the best environment for him to succeed in. Your husband will do just fine no matter which school he attends, as long as he works hard and learn as much as he can. Both schools are good schools. Both schools will prepare him well for residency. Both schools have good matching rates to various top residency programs. Both schools have their pros and cons. For example, the current externship student from Scholl at my residency program thinks that he would have chosen a different school had he started over again. On the hand, TUSPM facility is older (not necessarily outdated) than Scholl as you said.

For me, TUSPM was the best option. If I were to do it again, I would still attend TUSPM. For me, proximity to my family and friends was important to me since I am from NYC originally. In addition, TUSPM was the best environment for me to succeed in. TUSPM is working on updating its facility. If you have any questions about TUSPM, feel free to ask.

To me, the type of school that would make one feel comfortable is the most important thing.

Between those 2 schools, I would go with temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Viva La Temple!

Although the budget for living costs was the deal breaker for me.

But I'm only one person with no one else to think about.

I am a current Temple student with a family and know that money can be tight. What many students with families do is get some government aid. You can get food stamps to help you with food costs and medicaid to offset your medical costs. That saves a bunch and hey, one year in taxes as a podiatrist will pay that back. There are affordable places to live in Philly also for families. There is a good amount of students with families at Temple currently. In the end its all about how you spend your money and budget. Some of the single students spend more money that me and thats hard to understand since I have a family with more expenses. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

For you students at TUSPM, what is the daily schedule like for classes, labs, etc.?

Food stamps? Do some students really utilize this? It seems like milking the system, but that is my personal opinion.

Food stamps? Do some students really utilize this? It seems like milking the system, but that is my personal opinion.

No, milking the system is people who never intend to get out of the situation they are in and live off the government forever. Students with government help will pay it back quickly in taxes once they are doctors. So which would you rather have, a person who is going through a hard time that will eventually be in a place to not need the help anymore, or someone who will never get out of this situation because of laziness? The fact also is that the government gives the same cap on federal loans for single students and married students with a family even though it will cost more for the student with a family. A lot of students with families would rather take out more federal loans if they could than have to jump through the hoops with getting the social service aid. But the government treats them like single students so this is what they get in return.

For you students at TUSPM, what is the daily schedule like for classes, labs, etc.?

Every day is different since TUSPM is on a staggered schedule. Simply put, classes don't all start and end at the same time. For instance, I just finished Neuroanatomy last week but won't finish Biochem and LEA until the middle of May when the year ends. It is like this so you don't have a huge finals week which I like because it really helps to learn the material on feel like you have to cram a bunch of stuff in. Some weeks will be jamm packed with classes while others lighter which gives you some breathing room.

Milking the system:eek:i know its your personal opinion but think about this, when illegal aliens literally survive with our welfare systems expecting us (the taxpayers) to pay all their diaper to public schools to nappy expenses then why shouldnt the real taxpayers utilize the government aid in their time of need.

I guess every taxpayer will be happy if govt taxes from our business/salaries,etc are STRICTLY utilized only for american students,veterans, american families in trouble, older US population. And that is exactly how taxes were designed to be used for. Plus once we graduate govt is gonna take 30% tax from us.

No, milking the system is people who never intend to get out of the situation they are in and live off the government forever. Students with government help will pay it back quickly in taxes once they are doctors. So which would you rather have, a person who is going through a hard time that will eventually be in a place to not need the help anymore, or someone who will never get out of this situation because of laziness? The fact also is that the government gives the same cap on federal loans for single students and married students with a family even though it will cost more for the student with a family. A lot of students with families would rather take out more federal loans if they could than have to jump through the hoops with getting the social service aid. But the government treats them like single students so this is what they get in return.

Well said.:thumbup::thumbup: