Tutor: Has anyone tried select med tutor or USMLE pro or Medboard tutors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahsansad

NONE
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying for step 2 CK. There is not much reviews on any of these other than the testimonials on their respective websites. It is a lot of money and I could use some help to make and informed decision. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Heard usmlepro is very average for how much it costs. A lot of the tutors are on their way out to residency and don't really care much about facts they don't know. They basically just Google things for you when going through answer choices

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used medschooltutors for my step 1 studying, because my score wasn't going up past 205. They helped me increase my score to 237, it was pretty good. But I know a couple of friend's whose scores didn't go up with this company. Some other people I know used Selectmedtutors and the three of them had score increases of 20 points. So, I would definitely go with that one.

Reactions: 1 user
Heard usmlepro is very average for how much it costs. A lot of the tutors are on their way out to residency and don't really care much about facts they don't know. They basically just Google things for you when going through answer choices
They are SO expensive i thought!

They are SO expensive i thought!
yea i know right? like if i'm going to be paying top dollar i'd rather be paying the organization who actually has vetted and years of positive history, not one where it's "just a bit cheaper" when it really is what I mentioned before.

DO NOT DO SELECT MED TUTORS, VJ the head tutor is living off his glory days 40+ years ago when he did well on Step back then. He does not have a grasp of the information at all and often gets questions wrong if I didn't tell him the answer beforehand. When did that happen, instead of acknowledging his lapse in knowledge, he would say "that question will never come up on the test anyways." I know many people with him, including myself, who didn't get the score we wanted and he said it was because we should have purchased more hours. His company is a total moneymaking scam. Also no sense of professionalism, literally will Skype tutor in his boxers...

Reactions: 1 users
yea i know right? like if i'm going to be paying top dollar i'd rather be paying the organization who actually has vetted and years of positive history, not one where it's "just a bit cheaper" when it really is what I mentioned before.

Again, happy to connect you with actual students and appreciate where you are coming from, but I would caution that USMLE Pro was created in response to these existing companies that you consider "vetted". A mission-driven organization is completely different from a profit-driven one, and it's honestly devastating to hear what students have gone through at the hands of attending-aged people who just have no sense of accountability. I think being disconnected from the actual experience of being a medical student or recent graduate is partially to blame. Just because we could be charging more doesn't mean we should, and, to be frank, given our popularity that decision has come down to my own personal morals. I would rather have to turn people away than to not be able to help people who aren't extremely socioeconomically advantaged.

To my knowledge, no other company has a need-based pricing program, and that should tell you quite a lot about our views. No other leading company is run by people who actually recently excelled on the exam and are pursuing careers as academic medical educators. Understandable to be hesitant to embrace something new, but I would say it's dangerous to assume that the more expensive, less innovative option is superior.

I didn’t pay for a service but I read through USMLEpro’s posts and took their advice on approaching step 2 and improved step 2 by 40+ and comlex by 150ish pts. Paying and actually talking to tutors would have likely yielded even better results.

DO NOT DO SELECT MED TUTORS, VJ the head tutor is living off his glory days 40+ years ago when he did well on Step back then. He does not have a grasp of the information at all and often gets questions wrong if I didn't tell him the answer beforehand. When did that happen, instead of acknowledging his lapse in knowledge, he would say "that question will never come up on the test anyways." I know many people with him, including myself, who didn't get the score we wanted and he said it was because we should have purchased more hours. His company is a total moneymaking scam. Also no sense of professionalism, literally will Skype tutor in his boxers...
I agree. Didn't care about the students and Total money scam. He just tell you to buy more hours. Not worth it.

Hey, It is true. Had to spend the money before I learnt this wisdom and here it is:

Selectmed tutors: total money scam. My tutor would always be in a tank top and lying down on his bed to talk to me. This was uncomfortable to say the list. I did not continue with it because he kept pressuring me to buy more hours subtly ..not so subtly

USMLE pros- Most expensive. yeah, that "discount" that they have is bull****. If anyone needed that discount that would be me and I did not get it or hear about it from them.

Dr. USMLE- sure if your parents are loaded and you can afford 300$ per hour. I could not. Nothing much to say.

At the end I just studied on my own. What I walked away w/ was everyone is ready to **** you sideways when it comes to money. How badly do you want to get ****** is subjective. Peace and love.

Select med tutors was awful. The tutors that I have tried from there are unprofessional and lacking in basic foundation of knowledge for step. VJ is especially bad; he just tries to take your money and as much of it as possible, and once he has it, he is always doing other tasks during the tutoring session and telling you he is too busy to schedule sessions

Hey, It is true. Had to spend the money before I learnt this wisdom and here it is:

Selectmed tutors: total money scam. My tutor would always be in a tank top and lying down on his bed to talk to me. This was uncomfortable to say the list. I did not continue with it because he kept pressuring me to buy more hours subtly ..not so subtly

USMLE pros- Most expensive. yeah, that "discount" that they have is bull****. If anyone needed that discount that would be me and I did not get it or hear about it from them.

Dr. USMLE- sure if your parents are loaded and you can afford 300$ per hour. I could not. Nothing much to say.

At the end I just studied on my own. What I walked away w/ was everyone is ready to **** you sideways when it comes to money. How badly do you want to get ****** is subjective. Peace and love.

Hey, sorry if I'm rubbing salt in the wounds here, but we have an application process for our need-based discounts. I apologize if you weren't directed to this, but there is a link on our site for the application. I hope your exam went well and am sorry to hear you had a difficult experience.

My roommate was able to get a nice discount with them because he had a need-based scholarship, but I didn't qualify because I didn't even though I took out loans (they said all med students take out loans so they wouldn't use that as a factor, which I suppose is true). Tbh it makes sense, after all the years of training and tuition bills, when I'm a practicing doc one day I don't plan on getting out of bed for less than $200/hr :whistle:.

Last edited: