• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Tutor in New York City?

an aspiring doctor

Dec 13, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
    Can anyone recommend me to an MCAT tutor in New York City. I have reached out to several services but they all request about a $100 an hour which is pricy for me. Are there any MCAT tutors that are reasonable on their prices? Thank you.

Jan 14, 2013
    Here & There
    1. Medical Student
      http://thinkmcat.com

Scott is an MD/PhD who teaches mcat classes and you pay as you go 30 bucks per class. He also has his own mcat books which are like 30 bucks each. A friend of mine took him and did great and I also heard many good things from others. My experience, I will be taking the mcat soon and I took some of his classes. I think for bio, orgo, and chem he's great. His strongest is bio many people had gotten 13, 14s with him. Overall he goes really fast so you have to record his lectures so I personally didn't like him for physics. His style for teaching, he teaches you how to think critically and how the mcat likes to ask simple concepts, but most of the work is on you, he only guides. So I don't know what type of learner you are. Good luck.

Dreamstoo

7+ Year Member
      Dec 13, 2011
      1. Medical Student
        http://thinkmcat.com

Scott is an MD/PhD who teaches mcat classes and you pay as you go 30 bucks per class. He also has his own mcat books which are like 30 bucks each. A friend of mine took him and did great and I also heard many good things from others. My experience, I will be taking the mcat soon and I took some of his classes. I think for bio, orgo, and chem he's great. His strongest is bio many people had gotten 13, 14s with him. Overall he goes really fast so you have to record his lectures so I personally didn't like him for physics. His style for teaching, he teaches you how to think critically and how the mcat likes to ask simple concepts, but most of the work is on you, he only guides. So I don't know what type of learner you are. Good luck.

I am taking Scott now too and I have been studying for a few weeks now. His audio and his bio book is incredible. He does use Berkeley Review as a supplement for Physics so I wouldn't rely as much on his lectures for that.
        I actually think he's really good with organic and general chemistry as well.
        Yes he only guides you, I made the mistake during the first few lessons assuming that is all I needed. He helps you make a study plan to follow and I have my exam in 2 months and I'm following his schedule.
        From what I have heard, most of his students do very well on the MCAT.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.