Tutor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansen44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering, those of you who have used a tutor, how did it work out? Was it worth it? See I am in a bit of a dilemma, I took the MCAT in May scored a 24 (PS 10, BS 8, VR 7). I have been studying for the past month pretty hardcore, I have taken 6 AAMC Practice exams never scored above a 27. I review the exams, see that some of the passages are lack of concepts so I review, ect. I really try to figure out what the hell I am doing and I think I have figured out so I take another test, and again 27. I score all 9's on each subject, and usually according to the grading scale I am on average 1-3 questions away from score a 10 in each subject. I am supposed to take it July 30, seriously considering postponing unless by a miracle I figure out my problem. If I do postpone I would rather not postpone until Sept because its so late since I am applying this year. I was thinking mid august. Is 2-3 enough time for a tutor to help me. I dont feel like its a content problem but its mind set. Applying next year is not a option, my transcripts are sent, my LOR are received and my fiancee is applying to Law school and we want to go to the same city so postponing is not happening. Sorry for the essay, advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
i dont think you can postpone the date because its closed. im taking the test on august 5th and im on the same boat as you, not doing too well. I dont think i can answer you question, but if you want my opinion i dont think tutoring for 2 or 3 days is going to help,
btw if you can change your dates, please let me know how, bc I couldnt
thanks

If it's less than 2 weeks before your scheduled exam date, you cannot postpone. What you can do is either:

1) Take the test and if you don't feel you did well, Void it (but this will count as one of your three attempts at taking the MCAT; I think you only have three attempts in a year, but double check this)

2) Don't take the test. I believe the policy is that if you don't show up for the exam, it's as though you never signed up for it and it doesn't count against you. Of course you lose your test fee. But, again, call to double check

If you decide not to take the test, you'll have to scramble to re-register for a new date. Best of luck guys.

I was not thinking about getting a tutor between now and Thursday, but between now and say another exam date in mid August which would be 2-3 weeks of tutoring. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations about tutors who has actually used one. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have a tutor, but perhaps this will help you if you need more individualized teaching. I guess the biggest issue is to find out why you are getting scores that you feel are too low. Is it a content review thing? If so, perhaps getting some different books (I hear TBR is great!) and hitting them hard will help. If it is a timing issue, spend the rest of your time nailing timing down. Are you not reading the passages carefully enough? Most of the time the information is in there for you if you search hard enough for it.

The thing is, you are really quite late in the game for this year, so only a limited number of spots will be available. Are you counting on getting on one particular medical school? If so, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, just because this is hard. I understand b/c I have a similar situation w/ my fiance, but we are just going to move where ever I get in, and then take it from there. If your fiance already got into law school, then perhaps you two could move there, you take this next year to master the MCAT and improve your app, and then show really strong interest (perhaps apply ED) and then hope to get in once you've got your score down. If she hasn't got in yet and you are both still applying, take the exam again and if you get lower than you wanted I would consider DO schools.

Thanks for your advice, thats the problem I dont know why I am getting low scores. Timing is not an issue, content is not really the issue I am strong in pretty much all aspects, however, sometimes I miss questions yes because of not reading the passage carefully enough. Or basically because I will read the passage and understand it but not pull some abstract concept out. Like I said according to the "scale" on AAMC I am only missing my target by 1-3 question every time. I know its late in the game but I just graduated and I didnt even originally want to take a year off in between but I am so if dont apply this year and take an additional year off in between that would be just to brutal. I have to make an attempt, the depressing thing is that the rest of my application is solid, everything is highly competitive. As far as law school she has not been accepted yet, we applying to the same cities basically in hopes that we will get into the same school or different schools but at least in the same zip code. I honestly dont know what to do about fixing my scores so I though last option tutor. I took the Kaplan class a year ago, and I have completely done all of the BR books. Thats why I thought maybe I need a tutor. Thanks

And maybe a tutor is the way to go for you then. Given your situation, if you really are resistant to not taking a year off, definitely give it a go. Just realize that if you do fall way short of your goal (for whatever reason) med schools will want to see a significant increase (4+ pts) on your next retake, so don't take it lightly.

If your average is a 27, even hitting that would be something for you if the rest of your application really is strong. Obviously hitting a 30 would be awesome. If you are really close, some of it will come down to luck on getting those last couple of questions right.

Try using the POE method more if you aren't already. This helped me a lot and really raised my scores. Also, if timing isn't an issue, perhaps give yourself the extra 30 seconds w/ the passage to really digest it all and make connections. This can do wonders for some people.

As far as your situation w/ your fiance goes, you both need to figure out how serious you are about staying together. The chances of you both getting into law schools/med schools in the same city is really, really slim. Not to say that it is impossible. However, always have a plan B -- a what-if just in case.

Good luck on improving in these last couple weeks, or days, depending on which day you choose. I think it can be done w/ focused studying and diligence within your reasoning -- eliminating the "stupid mistakes" can also increase anyone a pt in each section. Best of luck!

Sorry, should have clarified -- POE = process of elimination. You do not always need to know the right answer, but can eliminate answers you know are wrong/contradictory/too extreme etc. I often find in bio passages that an answer will have the first part right, but the second part will contradict completely what the first part stands for. You can automatically eliminate this answer choice.