TV Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garyjain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know your thoughts on the portrayal of doctors on TV. I am still doing my undergrad and usually don't watch shows on medicine because I think they exaggerate circumstances and choose drama over substance. I usually just stick with Discovery Health when I want to watch some surgery or something. Anyways, which show do you think has the best portrayal of a doctor's general lifestyle, doctor's interactions with patients, and the interactions between friends?

Members don't see this ad.

lol, for what it's worth I think Scrubs comes the closest to capturing how a hospital is, but obviously none of the shows are particularly realistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scrubs all the way!!! I'm going to be so disappointed if my attending's not like Dr. Cox.

I don't watch anything except on rare occasions I'll turn it to discovery health. That said, I think a few years back someone had an interview question asking what the most realistic portrayal of medicine was in terms of tv shows and the correct answer they were looking for was Scrubs. I guess they meant fictitious shows and not discovery health.

They said that Scrubs portrayed the life of med school and a hospital more accurately then shows like ER. I've heard from the owner of the blog: med school hell that Greys Anatomy also tends to portray the long hours well even if other aspects of it is untrue.

ER, I think that shows gone downhill and is wayyyyyyy too focused on drama more then anything.

I wish everything in JD's head came true. Life would be better, I think, if my best friend was made of chocolate.