Two new Osteopathic schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hippuppy, Nov 20, 2001.

1. hippuppy

hippuppy Member

Attending Physician
    I visited Nova on Monday and met with the Dean. He said that in addition to the new school in Virgina, there will also be a new school in Utah. Has anyone else heard this?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Slingblade the Surgeon

Slingblade the Surgeon Senior Member

Go here to read the write up.

<a href="http://www.dohealthnet.com/article1151.html" target="_blank">Here</a>

4. Slingblade the Surgeon

Slingblade the Surgeon Senior Member

What did you think of NOVA?

5. hippuppy

hippuppy Member

Attending Physician
    I am extremely impressed. From what I gathered, the students begin getting clinical training during the first semester. The facilities are beautiful from the new library to the OMM learning center. I met a coulple students who just couldn't say enough good things about Nova. They are also offering to DO students the opportunty to get a M.P.H free of charge right now. The school is very impressive.

Bryan

6. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair

I heard recently from a speaker at our school that most of the funding for this school will be from the Osmond family trust (Donny and Marie are bothpatients of an Osteopathic physician who, through the use of OMT, has been able to decrease their dependence on medications for their respective conditions). Since the Osmonds are LDS, they have an interest in a school being established in Utah. I think it is a wonderful testament to the efficacy of Osteopathic Medicine that at least one family is willing to offer their money to support its continued growth.

7. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician

8. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician

9. The Dean of NSUCOM is the coolest I've met! How did you like the school when you visited?

10. Is there any updated information on the [email protected]? The report from the trib was June 19. I wrote to admissions last week and they said that it was just a rumor. Any idea on how to get in touch with the Osmonds to let them know about interest here in Utah and to thank them for their support?

11. hippuppy

hippuppy Member

Attending Physician
    NOVA is a magnificant school. My first choice, without a doubt.

12. Just in case anyone is interested in the possible school in Utah, I've got some info.

From UVSC Career and Counseling Center: [email protected]

Hi, We were informed about the article and it is an exicting opportunity. The last information we recieved is that we are waiting for the school of medicine's plans. As the article mentioned funding is an issue. Currently, there is no official program or word regarding an upcoming program. Thanks, Susan

Derek Hall
    UVSC
    College Relations:

The Deseret News article said it all pretty well. A group of doctors approached
    us about the possibility. We told them we would/could entertain their ideas if
    they had a legitimate funding source.

I have heard that they are working behind the scenes trying to line things up,
    but there have been no formal talks to date. I would guess that the process is
    years in the making.

Your best source for up to date info would be the Dr. quoted in the Deseret
    News.

From the Osmond Foundation:
    [email protected]

Hi! My name is Beth. I'm a member of the Osmond Online staff and I help answer mail received through the website.

Unfortunately, I have no information on a Osteopathic School being started at UVSC.

:rolleyes: DeseretNews