two questions about URM - please help...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xjustbreathex, Jun 21, 2008.

1. xjustbreathex

Pre-Medical
    I am freaking out a little bit. I am a Cuban/White (dad is Cuban immigrant, mom is good old southern girl) and put this information on both my MCAT registration and AMCAS (already submitted). People have been asking me if I am applying URM and I am not sure what that means.

I know about MEDMAR but I am pretty sure I put that I didn't want to be included because only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans were listed. I obviously want to be considered as URM if I am qualified but 1. am I qualified and 2. is it too late?

To reiterate:

If I am URM what does it mean to "apply as URM" and is it still possible for me to do this if I have submitted AMCAS and taken my MCAT?

If I am screwed in the above scenario, then do adcoms still consider ethnicity even if you aren't technically "URM" by MedMar?

I think that is way more than two questions lol...any help I would appreciate it.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

I think you interpreted it right the first time. Cubano-Americans aren't part of the traditionally URM category.

4. surfstarj

Medical Student
    Plus, you don't check off a box for "URM" you just indicate your ethnicity and if you are in one of the categories designated as underrepresented then you are a urm applicant. From AAMC: http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/statusofnewdefinition.pdf

So I guess to answer your question, there is no reason to change anything on your AMCAS.

5. xjustbreathex

Pre-Medical
    I guess that it what I needed to hear. When people say "are you applying as URM" it makes it sound as if there is something proactive that you have check off or submit. I mean I put my ethnicity down so if they think they need more cuban white girls, they'll take me.

Thanks for your comments...