Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

two questions about URM - please help...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xjustbreathex, Jun 21, 2008.

1. xjustbreathex

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I am freaking out a little bit. I am a Cuban/White (dad is Cuban immigrant, mom is good old southern girl) and put this information on both my MCAT registration and AMCAS (already submitted). People have been asking me if I am applying URM and I am not sure what that means.

I know about MEDMAR but I am pretty sure I put that I didn't want to be included because only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans were listed. I obviously want to be considered as URM if I am qualified but 1. am I qualified and 2. is it too late?

To reiterate:

If I am URM what does it mean to "apply as URM" and is it still possible for me to do this if I have submitted AMCAS and taken my MCAT?

If I am screwed in the above scenario, then do adcoms still consider ethnicity even if you aren't technically "URM" by MedMar?

I think that is way more than two questions lol...any help I would appreciate it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

I think you interpreted it right the first time. Cubano-Americans aren't part of the traditionally URM category.

4. surfstarj

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Plus, you don't check off a box for "URM" you just indicate your ethnicity and if you are in one of the categories designated as underrepresented then you are a urm applicant. From AAMC: http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/statusofnewdefinition.pdf

So I guess to answer your question, there is no reason to change anything on your AMCAS.

5. xjustbreathex

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I guess that it what I needed to hear. When people say "are you applying as URM" it makes it sound as if there is something proactive that you have check off or submit. I mean I put my ethnicity down so if they think they need more cuban white girls, they'll take me.

Thanks for your comments...