Two Questions: DAT & Euro Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Music

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.

Well, I'm a relatively new pre-dent student. I was a med school student, but I decided that I didn't want to go that route for many reasons, so here I am, still pursuing medicine, but from another perspective (and another body part :)). Anyhoo, I have got 2 questions for you guys and any feedback would be appreciated.

1. When is the best time to take the DAT? I'm taking the Kaplan prep course and I plan on studying for another month or month and a half afterward. It starts this coming Monday and ends April 23rd, I believe. Will it be too late to take it in June? Correct me if I'm wrong but applications come out in June don't they? So if I took it in June, would it be bad?

2. Have any of you considered a Euro school? The thought just popped into my head this morning, so I haven't done mushc research on it, but are there any sorts of special provisions needed in order to practice medicine back in the states after graduating from a school in say, Germany or England? Anyone have anymore info on this?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Music said:
Hi guys and gals.

Well, I'm a relatively new pre-dent student. I was a med school student, but I decided that I didn't want to go that route for many reasons, so here I am, still pursuing medicine, but from another perspective (and another body part :)). Anyhoo, I have got 2 questions for you guys and any feedback would be appreciated.

1. When is the best time to take the DAT? I'm taking the Kaplan prep course and I plan on studying for another month or month and a half afterward. It starts this coming Monday and ends April 23rd, I believe. Will it be too late to take it in June? Correct me if I'm wrong but applications come out in June don't they? So if I took it in June, would it be bad?

2. Have any of you considered a Euro school? The thought just popped into my head this morning, so I haven't done mushc research on it, but are there any sorts of special provisions needed in order to practice medicine back in the states after graduating from a school in say, Germany or England? Anyone have anymore info on this?

Thanks a lot

my understanding for foreign dental graduates you will have to take the NDBE 1 then go to schools that accept international students do 2 years then continue as normal.

rocknightmare said:
my understanding for foreign dental graduates you will have to take the NDBE 1 then go to schools that accept international students do 2 years then continue as normal.

I believe you are correct. In essence the foreign dentist still has to do 2 years at a US school and pass all licensure exams, but only after passing NBDE I with high scores (usually 90+) to gain admission in the first place.